Show
Photo
- - - - -

Lots of little white scratches!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

Ooops, sorry piggy - I hit edit instead of quote :lol::lol:

Aye - just outside Tamworth, although I'm a Lincolnshire lad really.

Yes, different cars have different paint (hence why I have a paint gauge...) but those 'big boys' are probably working on fussy paints such as those by Bentley, Ferrari and the like. On your Fiesta, I say grab the DA and have a go. I got massive scratches out of my bumper just a few weeks ago - result is excellent, and I'd never done it before.

I did a load of reading, attended a machine polishing tutorial, purchased the right kit and went for it.

Anyway, can we see pics of the scratches please, at the moment this is all 'how long is a piece of string'.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 InstructorPiggy

InstructorPiggy

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 TDCI ZS

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

Ooops, sorry piggy - I hit edit instead of quote :lol::lol:

er...can ya fix that!??! :lol:

#18 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

Plus 30quid for the polish!!

If like anyone else here he hasn't got 100notes hanging about doing nothing...then a tenner for some simple polish and couple cloths may have to do him!!!

Its easier than ya think on a edge of bodywork with good cutting compound to go bit deep...don't take much....they don't train the proffesionals for 3 years for nout!!

Thirty quid?

You can get a bottle of Menzerna IP delivered for 12 and that gets marks and scratches out of BMW paint which is notoriously hard. It's also good enough for final finish and will do many cars before he needs more.

You would have to be a complete and utter fool to go through the paint with a DA polsisher such as a Porter Cable. A rotary polisher yes, that's what most of the pros use, but a dual action is the perfect kit for a beginner. I never practiced with mine and in the 5 years or so I've had it I've never been close to doing any damage.

He has scratches and wants to get rid of them.

I gave him an alternative to that may get rid of them (can't tell unless we see pictures) and any more for the future at a cost of well under 150.

Another option would be to have the panel resprayed, probably more than 100 or get a pro to do it, again, not much change out of a ton.

If the marks are bad, like I said earlier, it will take ages doing it by hand if he ever manages it.

#19 InstructorPiggy

InstructorPiggy

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 TDCI ZS

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

I know...and I DO agree with all you say...my best friend is one of the pros we are talking about, so I get it in the ear all the time...but if he anything like me...

This time of year...I got time...but no money! :lol:

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users