Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Automatic boxes-any known issues?

xpeterpx

Just curious but are there any known issues with mk2 automatic gearbox?

seem to be going more journeys in traffic and might consider one in the near future

Thanks as usual

Hi Peter. I have the 4 speed auto, no issues other than the dash display sometimes sticking on a flashing 'P' symbol instead of 'D', 'R' or 'N' or whichever gear has been manually selected. I've had the car nearly a year and the display issue doesn't seem to impact on the function of the gearbox in any way at all. Mine's a mk2.5 with the red LED dash.

Otherwise, it does what it should without drama. I've read here on the forum that technically this box is 3 speed + overdrive but hey, it works! It's apparently a fairly old design which has been upgraded, strengthened and improved over the years, much like the 1.6 petrol engine in my car. Gear changes are reasonably smooth and happen more-or-less when I expect them to. Like any box, auto or otherwise, changes are smoother after it's warmed up. Kick-down isn't very responsive, don't rely on it for a chancy overtake, give it 5 seconds notice. But auto Focus drivers don't even contemplate 'chancy' overtakes, eh..? I love it, and much prefer automatics over manuals any day. All that unnecessary flapping about of arms and legs! :wink:

I've got a theory that the engines in automatics are less likely to have been thrashed. a) auto drivers are less inclined to thrash it in the first place and b) auto boxes have various fail-safes designed in to stop the engine over-revving/labouring, even when manual change has been selected. Just a theory...

Go for it, you won't regret it

• Like 5

Thanks very much, thats a great appraisal

Pete

• Like 1

I too prefer auto transmission cars.

I have run 3 MK2s 1.6 petrols with the 4 speed torque converter auto with no problems at all. 2 of them reached 130,000 miles and the one I sold at this mileage was still going strong. I currently run the other two, one for me and the other for Mrs ScaniaPBman.

I had considered a 2 L petrol auto but it has a Ford PowerShift six-speed dual clutch semi automatic gearbox which comes with a bad reputation for reliability so I would not recommend this to you. See the Wikipedia comment here further down under the heading of Controversy and copied here.

Ford has faced class action lawsuits in the United States,[7] Australia[8] and Canada[9] over the PowerShift gearbox as being defective and potentially dangerous in the Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta and Ford EcoSport. The lawsuits allege that the PowerShift gearbox "continue to experience the transmission defect, including, but not limited to, bucking, kicking, jerking, harsh engagement, and delayed acceleration and lurching."

Best of luck,

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 2

Stay away from the 1.6 TDCI with the CVT automatic transmission. This combination is known for its problems. The 1.6 TDCI has a relative high torque output. This causes the CVT transmission to break down prematurely. Ford sells very few internal parts of this gearbox as spare parts. Problems with the CVT gearbox often result in scrapping the car or installing a complete new gearbox.

The 1.6 Duratec petrol engine was also available with the CVT automatic transmission. This combination has very few problems because of the lower output of the petrol engine.

The conventional 4-speed automatic transmission is pretty reliable but also outdated. Fuel economy is pretty poor and these gearboxes are not very refined like most newer automatic gearboxes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ScaniaPBman said:

I had considered a 2 L petrol auto but it has a Ford PowerShift six-speed dual clutch semi automatic gearbox which comes with a bad reputation for reliability

Interesting!! I very nearly bought a 2L estate but settled on my current 1.6L 4 speed hatchback. Plenty of room for the dog, my main reason for considering the estate in the first place. I'd always slightly regretted not going for the 2L engine, your info on the PowerShift has put paid to that. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

...pretty reliable but also outdated. Fuel economy is pretty poor and these gearboxes are not very refined like most newer automatic gearboxes.

That pretty well sums it up!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The conventional 4-speed automatic transmission is pretty reliable but also outdated. Fuel economy is pretty poor and these gearboxes are not very refined like most newer automatic gearboxes. 

You are correct, the fuel economy isn't the best however I am prepared to accept this in return for much better reliability and the convenience of driving an auto through traffic every day to and from work.

I have no complaint about the refinement, the newer boxes are indeed an improvement. At work I frequently drive a Mercedes Sprinter diesel with a dual clutch auto and find it really smooth. It's good that the boss has to worry about any potential reliability problems and not me, though I must say that this Sprinter seems OK and I haven't heard the boss complain yet.

For impressive auto box performance try a coach or truck with a  Volvo iShift.

ScaniaPBman

• Like 1

No problems with my auto, Bought one as I was fed up messing around with a clutch pedal and a gear lever. Gear changes are very smooth but as stated poor MPG but I don't mind that, I only do 45 miles a month.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth I found a very small grub screw in the passengers footwell, not knowing what it was I threw it away.

Next day got in the car started up and lo and behold I have the automatic gear lever knob in my hand along with the push rod and spring.

Trying to get hold of a grub screw this small was a nightmare, managed to get one,  I put it back in with a smear of Loctite.

A transmission fluid change helps if the miles are high and also preserves the box.

The same box is used on the Mk1 (4F27E)....I did mine last year and it certainly smoothed out the gearchange.

• 2 years later...

Hi how much transmission fluid did it take.(4 speed AUTO)I have hit 60k and am looking to replace it. UK MK2 2010 and what do you recommend I use as the dealers want £30 + a litre. 

Hi will say I love auto, however getting a driveshaft for 2ltr petrol auto is a pain the 1.6ltr are easier to find.

I have had 1.6 and now 2ltr the 2ltr great power wise 1.6 is ok but have to work a bit harder on hills but no issues with box its self my last 1.6 did 200,000 and sill ok