Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To anyone considering venturing out in the snow...

FMC

I know it might seem like common sense to most people, but some people can easily be caught out by slippery roads and sudden, heavy snow showers.

So, GO PREPARED!!

Make sure you have lots of warm clothing with you in the car, INCLUDING WATERPROOF OUTER LAYER. Take a hat and gloves too. Get some de-icer for the windows - and also take some fluids (preferably hot in a flask or similar) if not just some soft drinks so you can keep hydrated, especially if you are at risk of being stranded on a motorway or similar! If the worst does happen and you get stranded, a decent pair of waterproof boots/wellies will make for a much more comfortable walk home or to a place of safety.

Take a shovel! Can come in very handy.

Also keep a torch in the car.

And make sure your mobile is fully charged, or you have a charger for it in the car ;)

Also, if you can get a small tub of calcium chloride (footpath de-icer), then keep a tub of that in the boot too - i rescued my neighbour from smashing her husband's Lexus when getting it stuck in the lane, by spreading some over the iced-up tracks and under the rear wheels, waited a few minutes for it to melt, so she could get traction to reverse it from where it was stuck! If you can't get Calcium Chloride, ordinary rock salt will do the same, it just makes your carpets very dirty!

Keep safe people!

:)

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonny87

• Michael P

• Flic

• KeithC

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound advice there. Drive carefully guys and girls, keep the Fiestas in one piece!

Brilliant advice.

I drove in the snow today for the first time (coudnt be avoided) and HATED it :lol:

Was more woried by other drivers than my own driving :lol:

I know it might seem like common sense to most people, but some people can easily be caught out by slippery roads and sudden, heavy snow showers.

So, GO PREPARED!!

Make sure you have lots of warm clothing with you in the car, INCLUDING WATERPROOF OUTER LAYER. Take a hat and gloves too. Get some de-icer for the windows - and also take some fluids (preferably hot in a flask or similar) if not just some soft drinks so you can keep hydrated, especially if you are at risk of being stranded on a motorway or similar! If the worst does happen and you get stranded, a decent pair of waterproof boots/wellies will make for a much more comfortable walk home or to a place of safety.

Take a shovel! Can come in very handy.

Also keep a torch in the car.

And make sure your mobile is fully charged, or you have a charger for it in the car ;)

Also, if you can get a small tub of calcium chloride (footpath de-icer), then keep a tub of that in the boot too - i rescued my neighbour from smashing her husband's Lexus when getting it stuck in the lane, by spreading some over the iced-up tracks and under the rear wheels, waited a few minutes for it to melt, so she could get traction to reverse it from where it was stuck! If you can't get Calcium Chloride, ordinary rock salt will do the same, it just makes your carpets very dirty!

Keep safe people!

:)

Already seen a 58 plate CLK start going backwards on the way home this evening. Driver was a bit bemused when all the FWD motors were easing by!

Driving slow on snow and icy roads is definitely a good idea :P

But braking is BAD!

Low gears are your friend ;)

Brilliant advice.

I drove in the snow today for the first time (coudnt be avoided) and HATED it :lol:

Yeah!! It's always those other nutters you gotta worry about :blink:

Bring on the inevitable transpost chaos in the morn!! and the inevitable headlines the following day!

Yeah!! It's always those other nutters you gotta worry about :blink:

Bring on the inevitable transpost chaos in the morn!! and the inevitable headlines the following day!

Yeah, it was bad enough for me to decide that my car was being left at work this evening; my road is narrow and full of dreadful drivers who are even worse at parking ... watched an Astra try and reverse, and the guy went sideways somehow. Through dumb luck, the sideways slide parked his car better than he normally does.

Haha. Who has a white Fiesta?... they're nearly impossible to see! :P Hope the snow stops... got to drive to Birmingham. <_<

took me over 1 hour 15mins to do a 25-30min journey to work.. I really didnt want to take my fiesta in, but its my only car :(

Must admit, i really wish i had a rally car for times like these, i swear there are farm tracks i could drive on all the way to my office and it'd be great fun.

this is long...but similar post on the fiestanetwork....my input and a couple of others....

I thought because winter is here and theres quite a few "new drivers" on here, it would be a good idea for us all to share some useful winter driving tips.

Skidding is the greatest danger. Drive carefully, with smooth, gentle application of accelerator, steering and, particularly, brakes. If the vehicle starts to skid, gently lift off the accelerator and steer in the direction of the skid.

Be aware of black ice – it is most commonly found in areas that are shadowed from sun. Your car might be nice and warm, but never forget that it could be below freezing point outside.

If the road has not been gritted, be wary of driving in the wheeltracks or other vehicles as compressed snow is likely to be more icy than undisturbed snow.

Allow plenty of time for your journey and make sure you have a full tank of fuel before starting off – just in case you need to take a more circuitous route. Try to avoid travelling at dusk or in the dark.

Watch your speed and remember that cyclists and pedestrians, as well as other vehicles, will be less visible.

Make sure all the windows are clear of snow, properly de-iced and de-misted before you set out.

Make sure that the windscreen washer bottle is topped up, and contains the correct ratio of screenwash to ensure maximum cleaning and to prevent it freezing.

Sunglasses will reduce the glare of low winter sun on the snow.

Don't be afraid to turn back if you think the conditions are too treacherous.

Just in case you get stuck:

Keep a bottle of water and high-energy food, such as chocolate, in case you break down or become stranded. Carry extra clothing, including a warm coat, gloves and hat. A high-visibility jacket is also recommended.

Make sure you carry a mobile phone that is fully charged, and that you have the number of a breakdown organisation if you are a member.

Make sure you have a good torch and spare batteries in the car.

Carry a shovel to help you remove snow from around the wheels to give the car a chance to grip the road.

I've been driving 3 years now but still need more information on the best way to drive on snow. My new tyres (although the tread looks nice) they are &#33;Removed&#33; useless. I might as well have slicks on them! My car wheel spins in 1st with a tiny amount of gas and locks up when breaking if I drive over a snowflake!

Best advice is emergency travel only in ice/snow.

All what you say is rather good there, esp only for 3years behind the wheel...whats your source??

Highvis jacket always a biggy, and a old coat too or blanket.

Get a first aid kit too...always handy and not expensive...warning triangle also very good to have, they collapse small too.

Don't forget the ever needed jump cables....again, don't need to be expensive, not used everyday, I picked up a high amp set for 4 quid new the other day!!

Best idea for icey conditions if you really need to drive is as high gear as possible with lowest revs....IE 4th gear, idle, 10mph!!

Torque gets grip, not HP!

Also, lowering tyre pressures is a myth....pump up the tyres a little, it aids bite and also decreases the surface area...this sounds odd but again it increases bite and means that the area of tyre will warm up quicker than a large soft area

Check anitfreeze levels too....most garages will do this for free for you

And always ensure everything is turned off before you turn engine off...leaving little things on will drain the battery, even more so in cold weather and things like wipers left on is a no no, they freeze to the screen then either break or burn out!

Check all lights are working....your fog light may not have been used in months....check it.

And if you go through water...get out first to see how deep, more than 4/5inches, don't bother you aint in a boat...if you must then keep revs midrange, in 1st/2nd slipping clutch slightly, don't stop midway, but if water wave starts occuring, just dip revs slightly to reduce speed....then always test brakes after, but not too heavily as to warp them. (just don't go swimming really!)

anything else I can think of off top of me head I will pop on later....

- Don't drive unless you really have to.... It isn't "fun" to drive in snow, not matter how much "fun" it looks.

- Drive your own car, don't jump in a random car like I did earlier and got stuck out in it on single lane country roads, take the car you know best!

- Don't drive unless you have to.

- Keep an eye on the weather forecast, don't go out in your car if snow is pretty certain.

- Don't drive unless you have to.

- Stick to decent gritted roads, and KEEP YOUR DISTANCE

- Don't go out in it, unless you really, really have to.

- Remember if you get stuck, AA, RAC, Ambulance, Police, Fire and Rescue, Highways Agency etc will have to come and get you, that's more people who have got to risk their lives in it, because you wanted a random fun drive.

- Don't go out in it.

Regards,

Andy

half that was me....so don't slag me off if you don't like all of it!!

Piggy :)

Already seen a 58 plate CLK start going backwards on the way home this evening. Driver was a bit bemused when all the FWD motors were easing by!

:lol: My Fiesta arrived just in time. My old 3 series wouldn't even get off my driveway in snow. MX-5 was not much better even with skinny tyres. Whereas anything I've tried with fwd no problem. Got to drive my CLK home tonight. Could be interesting.

:lol: My Fiesta arrived just in time. My old 3 series wouldn't even get off my driveway in snow. MX-5 was not much better even with skinny tyres. Whereas anything I've tried with fwd no problem. Got to drive my CLK home tonight. Could be interesting.

All the best - don't envy you there! Lucky for me, I can walk in and the work car park is shielded and nobody made it in ... !

All the guys with RWD are working from home today. Wonder why?

....loads of helpful advice....

Excellent post! :D

Everything anyone ever needs to know about the snow right there!

If the vehicle starts to skid, gently lift off the accelerator and steer in the direction of the skid.

Prob a daft question here, but how does this work? :lol:

I was told that if my car starts to skid/slide then put on the handbrake and steer in the opposite direction to straighten the back up, will this work the same? :lol:

Brilliant advice.

I say that all the time, I hate it when the weathers really bad because other drivers are such idiots!

Prob a daft question here, but how does this work? :lol:

I was told that if my car starts to skid/slide then put on the handbrake and steer in the opposite direction to straighten the back up, will this work the same? :lol:

I duno...try it later...and let us know how it goes.... :lol:

I don`t know how you, but I like to drive in snow, even 400km in one day, it keeps you concentrated for every second and I really enjoy such drives. Sometimes you need to drive really carefully, but every passed exam in form of good handled over/understeering slide is really enjoyable. But it is really stressful to see someone driving on a snow for first time in front of you or just behind your car.... PS: few pics of our last winter can be found here: http://img442.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc02875q.jpg :ph34r:

I ventured out in the snow today, to build a metal shed with tiny little metal screws, nuts and bolts. Boy it was fresh.

I ventured out in the snow today, to build a metal shed with tiny little metal screws, nuts and bolts. Boy it was fresh.

hows the fingers!?!? got feeling back in them yet!?!? your mad!!

was cold sat in a car with heaters on...felt sorry for anyone working outside...not nice...my temp gauge read 1 dgree at best today, down to 0 by 3pm!!

hows the fingers!?!? got feeling back in them yet!?!? your mad!!

was cold sat in a car with heaters on...felt sorry for anyone working outside...not nice...my temp gauge read 1 dgree at best today, down to 0 by 3pm!!

Had to come in every half hour and wrap 'em round a brew. Still got the roof to do in the morning, heard it was gonna be cracking the flags in the morning. The frost that is, not the sun. Can't wait!!

i don't mind driving in the snow too much, i guess thats probably because i had a couple of driving lessons in the snow and when i passed it snowed for a week or so, so most of the time it was quite slippy. i like to think that experience made me a better driver though.

as mentioned though some other drivers scare the bejesus out of me, especially in my works carpark today!

Dont mind it terribly, but will try and avoid if I can.

I ended up driving from London > Hastings at 9:30pm on the 17th... Obviously didn't go well and took 5 hours due to various small crashes (other cars)..

It was slippy at several points and occasionally going in a straight line meant a 180 left steering wheel rotation.

The fiesta slipped a lot and I agree with InstructorPiggy on the high gear low revs works nicer. Literally < 15% throttle in 3rd @ 10mph would cause the wheels to loose traction. Braking was the worst thing though, abs cut in constantly as there was just no grip, eventually went with engine braking. I dont have the ESP pack so no traction control either :)

Still, got home in relative comfort, had a few issues but all in all ok. Have previously drove 4 wheel drive cars with traction control systems which I think would have been better, but all in all, nothing too scary.

Obviously all that time spent playing Colin Mcrae Rally on the playstation wasn't wasted :)

- Don't drive unless you really have to.... It isn't "fun" to drive in snow, not matter how much "fun" it looks.

This is debatable!

If you search YouTube for 'Ford sierra ice' or "Ford sierra snow', plenty of folk having fun! :lol: :P

I drove to work yesterday morning past snow drifts as high as my car, no worries. Got stuck a few times today but after reversing a few times managed to get back into a groove. Like other have said, I was more worried about other peoples driving than my own! The amount of people driving so close to me behind was ridiculous, luckily I have rear tints otherwise I'd have given them the finger. Other drivers get me so cross sometimes!!

We`ve had small meeting of our Ford Club from Slovakia, few nice vid`s with snow at huge parking place ;)

- New Fiesta ZS

- New Fiesta ZS

- Mustang ;)

PS: snow is your friend, not enemy :lol:

dsc04555v.jpg