Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus titanium

ford focu

Hi all new to this so not sure i in right place. Turbo making a whooshing noise when laying off the revs sounds like a fake dumb valve. Ive been told it could be a split pipe but how do i pin point what it is? Any ideas?

Do you smoke? If you don't it will be easy to find someone who does.

Just get them to smoke over your engine while you rev to approx. 2000rpm, if you have a leak the engine will suck up them second hand smoke fumes.

If you don't like smoking them rent a fog machine and get that to do the work. anything that make a visible cloud. like vaping I think its called that may work also, may even give the engine a tune up since it a liquid.

20 hours ago, ford focu said:

Ive been told it could be a split pipe but how do i pin point what it is?

The biggish pipes that go from the Turbo, via the intercooler, to the inlet manifold, are prone to leaks.

I guess you have a 1.6TDCI. If so start with the fat plastic pipe that curls round the turbo. You will need to feel all round it, or better, remove it. The leaks are often hidden underneath!

If it is the 1.8TDCI, I can be more detailed about the pipe layout etc., but really it is just a case of feeling the pipes and squeezing to hoses to search out any damage.

Its a 1.8 tdci, ive had a look around and cant see anything obvious. Might be a daft question but is the top L shaped pipe coming from the turbo meant to be soft?

56 minutes ago, ford focu said:

Might be a daft question but is the top L shaped pipe coming from the turbo meant to be soft?

If that is the big hose on the driver's side, that passes near the coolant tank, then it is the return hose from the Intercooler to the inlet manifold. It is fairly soft rubber, but it is prone to splits. It is quite easy to slacken off the clamps at each end, and prise it free (twist & pull it, possibly use a small, blunt screwdriver or knife under it if it sticks).

It joins a metal tube that goes towards the driver's side headlamp, then changes to rubber again as it drops down to the intercooler right at the front of the car. I think removing the headlight (1 bolt and 2 rather hard to see clips) helps access.

To get at the tubes and pipes on the other side needs removal of the air box (air filter housing). This is easy but fiddly. Under here is a metal pipe, looks like this:

CAR-ICR3.JPG

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40990

It has a rubber hose linking it to the intercooler. And another rubber pipe linking it up to the turbo behind the engine. The turbo end is probably hard to reach, and even harder to see. A lot of jobs on these cars have to be done by feel, sight lines are often poor!

The rubber hoses are most likely to split, but the metal pipes can corrode or crack too. This pipework is pressurised up to 20psi when the turbo is on full boost.

There is also a rubber air hose from the air box to the turbo, but this is not pressurised, so is less likely to make whooshing noises.

Thanks for the advice i will have a look when it is light. If it is a split hose will that make the car lose power? As mine doesnt seem to have lost any it is just the noise. And is the car still ok to drive?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ford focu said:

If it is a split hose will that make the car lose power? As mine doesnt seem to have lost any it is just the noise. And is the car still ok to drive?

Unless the split is really bad, the power loss will only be small, probably not noticeable. If it is just a split hose, it will be ok to drive. I think the worst that can happen is total failure of one, then you would have to limp home with no turbo assistance. But I have not heard of this happening.

Ok thanks i will have a look around the engine tomorrow and hopefully be able to find the problem

Had a good look and feel around turbo pipes that i could see and touch today and couldnt find anything so havent got a clue where the split is or how else to find it. Noise is getting louder. Do you know which is the most common pipe to split, it has already had a new pipe 3 years ago but not sure which one.

32 minutes ago, ford focu said:

Do you know which is the most common pipe to split,

No, not for sure. The one I have heard the most reports about is the big one with the 90 deg bend at the top of the engine, near the coolant tank. But it is the ones under the air box, each side of the odd shaped pipe in my photo, that get hottest, so I would think they would weaken first.

Also try to have a good look through the lower grille at the front, at the intercooler. Look for any visible damage that may cause a leak. Stones can hit it and break a tube. Because it only has air (compressed at times) in it there will be no evidence of leaks.

Are there any other symptoms like loss of power, more smoke than usual, or warning lights on the dash?

Is it only on releasing the throttle, or can so hear hissing when climbing a hill in high gear, at about 2000rpm and a wide throttle opening? The turbo should be at its max then. If there is a bad air leak, it is likely the car will smoke then.

When accelerating hard i can here it sucking in and when its released or the clutch put in it makes a whoosh kind of noise. Only slight loss of power as if the turbo not boosting properly, no warning lights on dash and no more smoke than usual.

2 hours ago, ford focu said:

When accelerating hard i can here it sucking in and when its released or the clutch put in it makes a whoosh kind of noise.

That sounds less like an intercooler pipe problem. A leak there should be worst and most audible when accelerating hard.

I did notice the relation to releasing the throttle in the 1st post, but followed the intercooler pipe leak suggestion first.

I think I would replace the air filter to start with, unless known to be a good one and clean.

Then I am afraid I would have to widen the search to the hoses on the intake side of the turbo. That is from the airbox to the turbo, and the little branch near the turbo that leads up to the back of the cylinder head. This is the crankcase breather system, and there are two more smallish hoses going from the front of the cylinder head, down to an oil separator under the fuel filter, and then down to the crankcase. Look for hoses that have come disconnected, or damaged.

My thinking there is that when the throttle is released quickly, the turbine vanes open on the turbo, which quickly slows down. Then the compressor can stall, and the pressurised air in the intake system will quickly vent back towards the airbox. It will also pressurise the crankcase breather system briefly as it does so. This could be the whoosh, if there any leaks there.

Next step would be exhaust system leaks. Due to the turbo, exhaust leaks on these engines do not make the same racket as on a non-turbo engine. Again, there will be a rush of air into the exhaust as the turbine vanes open. This could be audible in the cabin if there is a leak. Inspecting this area is an under the car job, it probably needs to be up on a garage lift.