Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vibration from road

CarEdge

I've got a sport auto and only recently noticed that there is quite a bit of vibration coming through the steering wheel from the road (at all speeds). Quite sure it's not a wheel balance/allign issue and just putting it down to the stiff suspension and a difference to my previous car (VW Golf). Anyone else noticed that?

My titanium is pretty smooth. From reviews I watched on the sport it seems many didn't like the bigger wheel and stiffer suspension it comes with. 

Yeah, that might well be what causes the difference. 

Thinking about my previous post I mentioned "many" reviews but thinking about it, it was one video I watched that wished they made a sport with the softer suspension and wheels. I would wait for other sport owner feedback. 

• Like 1

I find the Sport generally very smooth on the road, though going over speed humps you really feel the stiff suspension.

I have the sport and I find it very smooth imdeed. 

Thanks for your responses. 

Mine is smooth, just feel vibrations through the steering wheel. But then maybe that's not smooth! 

1 hour ago, CarEdge said:

Thanks for your responses. 

Mine is smooth, just feel vibrations through the steering wheel. But then maybe that's not smooth! 

Check the inside of the tyres,

They may look ok from outside but if you get down and look on the inner side; the grip may be worn down more than the outter side which can be the cause of vibration 

IMG_20150205_170236_zpspqqtjwwh_edit_142

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 14 March 2017 at 8:12 AM, Lenny said:

Check the inside of the tyres,

They may look ok from outside but if you get down and look on the inner side; the grip may be worn down more than the outter side which can be the cause of vibration 

IMG_20150205_170236_zpspqqtjwwh_edit_142

Crikey, I hope my tyres never got to that stage without me noticing.  3 points for cord exposed !!  

In relation to John's (CarEdge) original post, if you habitually drive close to the centre of the road, to save your precious 20 inch alloys from kerb glances, it may just be the lane departure assist kicking in.  On narrower tight roads, I find I can feel that through the steering wheel quite often, giving the impression of vibration, when it's just that I'm near the crown of he road and the car thinks I'm going to veer over the centre line.  I find my Sport to be very smooth otherwise, but not as smooth as the dealer's Titanium I drove. The bigger alloys and shallower profile of the big tyres on the Sport certainly do make a difference, but I think you get more feedback from the steering in the Sport, which is lacking in the Titanium.  I haven't driven a Zetec, so can't comment on that. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion Edge of Reason but it's not the lane assist (I've got that turned off actually). I've tried everything I can think of to reduce the vibration and I've concluded it's either normal and I'm just sensitive to it, or it's an issue with mine but I can't get it fixed! I think it's the former, and it's just vibration from the road undulations but for some reason I find it  really annoying. I certainly  understand that SUV + big wheels + sports suspension means that the ride is gonna be firmer. Either way I will sell it after I am out of my 9 months min term (Privilege rules). 

Not sure where you are but you are welcome to have a go in mine to compare if that would help?

Hey Neil. That's a very generous offer, thank you. I'll PM you.

I know you say you're quite sure it's not a balance issue but have you had it checked just to be sure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Jon. Yeah, I've had all the wheels balanced (a couple of times actually). I haven't had an alignment done (though I did try but none of my local dealerships had the right equipment for an Edge!); though the car doesn't pull to a particular side so don't imagine it's an alignment issue.

• Like 1

It doesn't sound like an alignment issue but worth a try I suppose, a Hunter rig should do it but it's quite pricey isn't it. How old is it, could you put it back to the dealers and let them fault find under warranty. You have eliminated the obvious cause so they can go from there?

It's only 6 months old so could take it back to dealer. I've taken to one local dealer who seemed to think there was nothing wrong ... feel it might be one of those never ending battles. 

A battle worth fighting though. If there is a vibration that shouldn't be there then it needs to be sorted, it's a lot of money to spend. If you can get an independent mechanic to do a test drive with you and confirm the vibration then it's worth doing

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly I had a loan Edge from the local dealer yesterday and it was a 2017 Titanium 210 Auto rather than the Sport. It had done just over 650 miles (mine is 1500 miles now). It also had old entertainment system, Sync 2 (mine is a sync 3).

However the steering on the loaner had awful vibrations compared to the silky smooth ride of my 2017 Sport 210 Auto. I also thought the gearbox was quite 'laggy' and hesitant. Something I've never felt with mine.

I wonder if there are some under the hood changes made to suspension or engine/gearbox? The cars had different key types too, mine is the big chunky smart key, loaner had a much smaller key.

• Like 1

Being a loaner, it probably hasn't had a good life so far !

Interesting to read that, Steve. Mine is a 2017 model with Sync 3 but one of the first (reg Dec). I think I've resigned myself to getting rid of it when I'm out of the 9 month privilege contract, I just don't have the time or energy to battle this one! Love everything else about the car, so will be a shame. 

On 2017-6-1 at 2:53 PM, stevekdavis said:

Interestingly I had a loan Edge from the local dealer yesterday and it was a 2017 Titanium 210 Auto rather than the Sport. It had done just over 650 miles (mine is 1500 miles now). It also had old entertainment system, Sync 2 (mine is a sync 3).

However the steering on the loaner had awful vibrations compared to the silky smooth ride of my 2017 Sport 210 Auto. I also thought the gearbox was quite 'laggy' and hesitant. Something I've never felt with mine.

I wonder if there are some under the hood changes made to suspension or engine/gearbox? The cars had different key types too, mine is the big chunky smart key, loaner had a much smaller key.

The Sport does have a different shock/spring setup than the Zetec and Titanuim. So it does have a much stiffer and firmer ride. Probably compounded buy the standard 20" rims with 10mm less sidewall height.

On the subject of vibration, my old Kuga had awful vibration and a horrible  draoning noise. At one point and I suspected either poor wheel bearings (replaced both rears on my Focus at 35K) or drive shaft wear ... on changing my tyres in prep for an MOT,  the guy changing them commented on how the wear on one spot was quite low (almost a harder band of rubber in the center of the layup). Needless to say, when I drove it awayt the vibration and noise had gone and it was like an 'almost' new car again!

The Kuga had a particular issue with tyres, particularly the 19" Bridgestones, which for some reason wore a kind of saw-toothed pattern in the tread. This only materialised after a few thousand miles and resulted in excessive road noise and a droning sound. I was one of many who experienced this on my 2012 Kuga Titanium 163ps 4x4. 

• 1 year later...

I bought my 2018 Titanium "off the shelf" so to speak, it was already on the assembly line when I ordered it. It happened to be built with the 20 inch wheels as an extra. I didnt really want them, but it wasn't possible at that stage to change them. Now I suspect that it might be the best compromise for me to have the low profile tyres, but standard suspension. Its still pretty smooth over the bumpy and potholed roads of Devon, but corners without too much wallowing. What impresses me most is how little tyre noise there is from the Pirellis.

You may find that the active noise cancelling system will negate a lot of the tyre noise.  Historically, big wheels and low profile tyres means lots of noise. Not in an Edge.