Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel filler cap not opening ?

Ian Lanc

Just recently I've noticed the fuel filler cap is getting terrible to open, normally I just press the right hand side of the cover and it pops open and press it shut,  but it now refuses to pop open at all!

I've fashioned a safe tool to lever behind the cover to open it, but it needs sorting ASAP.

Oiled around the small rubber cover which has done nothing to make it pop in & out, so I reckon the fault is behind the big black fuel tank surround, maybe this has got to be taken out to be sorted ?

Will this mean the fuel tank has got to be taken out to reach the top of the black surround on the bodywork ?

Or can the fuel filler cover and black surround be removed to tackle the problem ?

Can the upper surround be accessed from inside the boot ?

Fiesta is a 10 plate but I'm assuming all the Fiesta's have the same style catch.

Any idea's what to do ?

Added an image which isn't from my car but the same type over cover - filler black surround ? Does it just clip the bodywork ? Saying that the filler pipe will surly be screwed or bolted onto it ?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Here's a thought! Can the fuel pipe be accessed from under the wheel arch ? Maybe remove wheel - Remove wheel arch liner ? 

Hmmm! Been told the return spring which holds the fuel cover gives up and eventually fails :wallbash: So looks like I've got to buy a whole new unit :whip: Ford & crap quality parts runs wild these days......Thanks for nothing FORD ......

Nobody had a problem like I've described ?

Asked our local ford dealership and the push in pop out latch was a common fault on fiesta's from 2008 until 2012, the latch has now been modified on all new cars now.

Ordered a new fuel filler support with the modified latch.

8 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

Nobody had a problem like I've described ?

Asked our local ford dealership and the push in pop out latch was a common fault on fiesta's from 2008 until 2012, the latch has now been modified on all new cars now.

Ordered a new fuel filler support with the modified latch.

My 63 plate has a finger sized raised bit which you can pull the flap with. My previous 09 plate had push to open.  

I presume this is the fix they were talking about -- no longer using the spring at all!

16 hours ago, jbell said:

My 63 plate has a finger sized raised bit which you can pull the flap with. My previous 09 plate had push to open.  

I presume this is the fix they were talking about -- no longer using the spring at all!

Heck! I've ordered a new fuel surround to replace the dodgy one, hope that has the springy thing on it!!

If not then I'm up shiit street as my colour coded cover is the all flat version.