Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 vibrating on idle

jack1997

Recently my car has developed vibrations that have become rather intense, to the point that if the engine is cold the vibrations would be bad enough to make my teeth chatter. When the engine warms up it becomes slightly less but still enough to annoy me and be uncomfortable. When I mount the phone on my windscreen it's shaking so much. This happens when the car is idled by the way, but even whilst on the move it does vibrate more than it should. My dad tells me it's just a normal thing that happens with aging Diesel engine (1.6 tdci at 117,000 miles) but I don't quite believe him yet. Apart from using diesel fuel cleaners such as bg244, I have no idea what else to do to find the cause and fix the issue. I'm also going the blank EGR valve and hopefully that may help.

can somebody be kind enough to point me towards where I should be looking to find the cause or at least reduce this vibration?

many thanks

It could well be an engine mount gone, or on its way, never experienced this but that's what I would be looking for.

• Like 1

hi. ive got a 63 reg 1.6 tdci and mine ran sweet as a nut until i got to about 32k then it developed a vibration. exactly as you say on idle the car shakes really badly through the dashboard the centre console and through the seats etc. the car vibrates when driving (feels like somethings slightly out) i even had it put into fords under warranty and they drew a blank and ive had all kinds of cleaners put through it but it made no difference at all. the car is now on 46k and it still does it so ive sort of learned to live with it but its a bit uncomfortable when your in stop start traffic.

• Like 1

Have both you guys tried blanking the egr valve? 

If the egr valve was stuck partially open it can cause a rough idle,

Blanking it using a stainless steel plate from ebay; would eliminate the circulation which is always an improvement on the 1.6tdci engine and it may also eradicate the current issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lenny said:

If the egr valve was stuck partially open it can cause a rough idle

Wouldn't that throw up an EML and a DTC?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjt said:

Wouldn't that throw up an EML and a DTC?

Not always mate, 

It would have to get to a certain level of open before triggering the eml and if it's a mk2.5 then it doesn't have that level of sensitivity to detect wheater the egr is partially open fully open, closed or even blanked atall.

• Like 1

My 1.6tdci is on around 110k miles and had extensive work done recently. The garage said about the vibration mine has and said it was quite severe but it's most likely the flywheel. He said if I was ok with it, it wouldn't cause any harm and best left until I need to replace the clutch to keep cost low. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wilto said:

It could well be an engine mount gone, or on its way, never experienced this but that's what I would be looking for.

I'll do my research and have a good look at them, cheers mate

11 hours ago, Lenny said:

Have both you guys tried blanking the egr valve? 

If the egr valve was stuck partially open it can cause a rough idle,

Blanking it using a stainless steel plate from ebay; would eliminate the circulation which is always an improvement on the 1.6tdci engine and it may also eradicate the current issue.

Yes I've definitely put the EGR valve on the top of my todo list, now just to figure out where exactly the damn thing is (I'm a noob lol) thanks for the help. Even if it doesn't help the vibration at least I'll know it's good for the car

1 hour ago, synaesthesia said:

My 1.6tdci is on around 110k miles and had extensive work done recently. The garage said about the vibration mine has and said it was quite severe but it's most likely the flywheel. He said if I was ok with it, it wouldn't cause any harm and best left until I need to replace the clutch to keep cost low. 

Yes I'm thinking maybe it could be that, because when I lift the clutch especially on low gears the engine makes a strange mechanical gargling noise, however the clutch still seemingly runs smooth. Cheers maye

4 minutes ago, jack1997 said:

when I lift the clutch especially on low gears the engine makes a strange mechanical gargling noise

That sounds rather like a DMF issue. I have to admit I don't know the exact construction of the DMF but I wonder if something's broken and/or moved out of position and upset the balance.

i will get some wynns egr cleaner spray then and give it a go and if i see any improvement regarding vibration i might take it off in a few weeks time and give it a damn good clean. i guess i just take the pipe off from the airbox/maf sensor side and just spray straight in?.

DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) sounds very likely to be the problem. There's a few things you can do to check. Firstly is there a rattling sound like a tin can coming from the engine along with the vibration?

Does it seem worse when the engine is cold and improves a bit when it's warmed up?

Is there a vibration through the clutch pedal that goes away when the clutch is engaged?

And if you are driving in 1st gear and let you foot off the accelerator does the car jerk?

• Like 1