Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where's the clip to take the cv joints off?

Michael9

On an 05 Mondy, I've got a good photo of the back of it that shows there's no clip on mine or if there is I'm buggered where it is....btw it's the same all round the shaft like what you see here, I spun it round and don't know where the hell it is, it's all that's stopping me from putting a new boot on!

IMAG0064.jpg

5 hours ago, Michael9 said:

it's all that's stopping me from putting a new boot on!

If its anything like the Focus driveshafts, the outer CV joints can not be pulled apart. You have to dismantle the inner joints, remove a circlip, pull the tripod off the splined shaft, then the gaiter for the outer CV slides all the way along the shaft.

But I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely, of course. laugh.png

If that's the case then why can I get a new outer cv (q drive or gkn) from Euro...so the ***** thing must come off I'm just buggered how the hell it's done and obviously so are the nearly 60 odd that looked at this post.

I suspect @iantt or @stef123 will know.

Failing that, you could always use one of these stretchy boot kits with a fitting cone or an air expander and stretch it over the the outer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-CV-JOINT-BOOT-KIT-X2-CONE-BOOT-KIT-GAITER-CV-DRIVESHAFT-BOOTKIT-/130683999559?hash=item1e6d5f9547:m:msDJQi7x1KJDM_I_gaSB7wA

• Like 1

It's inside the joint, get a hammer and knock the old one off and you'll see it.

as GMX has said, get a stretch boot (and cone). I can recommend some if you want to order them. 

Cheers guys but took the shaft out, was easier..

I know you say knock it off, I tried but with no bench or vice I was fkd hence above, I've got one of these cone things but the boot I had would only go half way even after heating it. But to make matters worse, I took the inner joint and boot off to get the outer one off and lost the ***** clip on the end :angry: had to wait a week from ford for another.

Only thing I'd like now is a mk3 tit x estate...

You did grease the cone right? Lol. It takes a fair effort to stretch them over the cone. 

Yea tried grease then oil, even had thick rubber warehouse gloves on for grip i know it takes a lot of pushing but believe me this wasn't going on, got the big end on, just, but the small end, no chance. I've always had quite strong hands/arms but not this time lol

The boot I had though was from watts and not from the kit so maybe a different type of rubber ie harder I don't know.

Possibly, as only some boots are for stretch fitting.