Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clean discs? Or long drive

Juicehead99

Car been sat for 2-3months.

I un seized back drums but front are grumbling when driving and worse when braking to point peddle comes up and down with bumps.

Take disc of and grind it flat?

Or leave it wear itself?

Find a long downhill section of road when it's quiet and hold you brake pedal very lightly not enough to slow you down loads just enough to make contact with the disc and let it gradually file it down, if not give it some harder braking on a drive, if still nope new discs.

Ye that was my plan lol.

Not buying new discs tho haha

On 3/18/2017 at 9:34 PM, Ryan_Tango said:

Find a long downhill section of road when it's quiet and hold you brake pedal very lightly not enough to slow you down loads just enough to make contact with the disc and let it gradually file it down, if not give it some harder braking on a drive, if still nope new discs.

just make sure your brakes do work first lol

• Like 1

On 18/03/2017 at 9:22 PM, Juicehead99 said:

Take disc of and grind it flat?

Jesus don't try that idea! Braking surface will surly be uneven after any such grinding and you'd defo' need new disc's, saying that for how long the car has been stood and the vast amount of rust that has built up on the disc's will severely contaminate the pads with rust particles which will get pushed into the pads as you brake hard and eventually scour the disc's badly. I'd re-new the disc's & pads...... These important bits save you from disaster & life so think twice what you intend to do.

• Like 2

I ment with emry paper, just to take layer of rust off

• Like 1

Ive done about 60mile in it and its better but still judders under heavy breaking so im going slow and breaking with engine mostly and driving like pensioner 

Just now, Juicehead99 said:

I ment with emry paper, just to take layer of rust off

I see! Be far better than using a grinder then :w00t: Is the rust build up really bad ?

Remember my mam's old car not moving for 6 month's, thought she was being clever by taking the car out and braking to clear the rust off, the rust built up behind the pads and actually locked up the wheels from rotating. Me dad went barmy as he had to sort it out by removing the wheels and taking the disc's & pads off, cleaning the crap off, all done by the roadside, he wasn't a happy chap that day. 

6 minutes ago, Juicehead99 said:

Ive done about 60mile in it and its better but still judders under heavy breaking so im going slow and breaking with engine mostly and driving like pensioner 

What's the braking surface look like after 60 miles ? Just remember that the pads are getting seriously f*cked up with contaminants and will eventually wreck the disc's.

For peace of mind I'd be buying new disc's & pads! Your life depends on them so do you want to risk it :sad: 

• Like 2

Well im in process of updgrading the brakes to the mk3 mondeo calipers and st170 discs so it will last me that long lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club