Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery voltage issues

Foz77

Back again with another issue!! Was in Ford (for something else yesterday) and had a battery reading of 12.18v - checked it this morning and it was 12.03 v.

Started the car and the needles twitched before starting - at normal idle the voltage started creeping up, but as soon as I put heaters, radio , lights on the voltage started dropping like crazy - went to about 10 (and dropping) before battery warning light came on on the dash

I switched everything off and the voltage crept back up to about 12 (with just lights on) Since it was just me, couldnt really measure it as fast idle

Looks like battery is not holding its charge fully - or could be an alternator issue?

looks like you have alternator issues for the fact that with the engine running the voltage is too low.

i would get the battery load tested too.

alternator i would say....when engine running even if battery buggered it should still read 14volts charging at idle, and maybe 13vs with all heaters and lights on at minimum.

Get a garage to double check if not sure...or charge battery overnight and do same test :)

Piggy :)

alternator i would say....when engine running even if battery buggered it should still read 14volts charging at idle, and maybe 13vs with all heaters and lights on at minimum.

Get a garage to double check if not sure...or charge battery overnight and do same test :)

Piggy :)

Check it again with a multimeter set to volts and if the voltage does indeed drop under load with the revs above 2000 then you have a charging problem and if the warning light is coming on it's probably the alternator as already mentioned.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club