Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 2016 Focus Titanium X: Lights too high and auto level not working

biffo77

I've a 2016 Ford with Xenon headlights , the auto-leveling doesn't seem to be working, and the lights seem even on normal load with just driver in car to be a little high. Filled the car with fuel last night, and went from not blinding on-coming cars to lighting up to 300/400 meters ahead on the motorway.

Truck drivers and other drivers not impressed. 

I've had the car in with the local Ford dealers here in Ireland, but since Titanium X's aren't even sold here, and "Adaptive Headlamps Bi Xenon" aren't a common option selected here, the dealer didn't know much about them.   I was initially told to use the adjustment dial beside the light switch, so my confidence in the dealer is pretty low.   They've checked and told me the system is fine, but it's obviously not.   I'm pretty sure all they've done is hooked up the computer and got no error codes

The car had a minor coming together with a fox, and wheel arch liner and a part of the under tray were replaced.  There were zero warnings on the dash.  Could this is cause of the problems?

Can anyone suggest pointers to bring to another dealer, so they can fix it, or home made short term fix, until I can get the car to a dealers that more used to the lightening system?

Suspect the level sensor was disturbed by the work and need recalibrating

The height of the lights can be adjusted with a cross head screw driver. On the front of the light there is an accessible white turn screw which does the height.

Make sure you do this on a level surface against a wall so you can see the cut offs/flat beam so you can get them 100% level.

I had a new unit fitted to mine, and it was set too low so I had to adjust it to the existing light. If in doubt find a garage that does light alignment.

Hi, I have a 2015 Focus titanium X, with Xenon headlights. When I switch my headlights on they start high and then both beams lower. You could try in the dark against a vertical surface to see if yours do the same.

Finally time to reply, went into a dealers and refused to move until they got the lead mechanic to look at it.   a couple of twists of a screwdriver later, lights are now sorted.

they were pointing so far high, that the autoleveling didn't seem to work, but was, all is good

before and after pics below 

IMG_5883.JPG

IMG_5881.JPG

That's better. Certainly pointing very high originally, but then some SUV's are aimed that high. Very irritating!