Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Temperature gauge not maintaining normal position

simba07

Hi,

Please can someone confirm my thoughts?

My wife has a 1.6 tdci 07 fusion plus.

When its cold outside the engine temerature gauge never gets to normal and then drops to around 70 deg when we have the internal heater on max heat and max speed.

I've taken it to Essex ford (Main dealer) but they tell me nothing wrong as its becasue its cold outside. I think they are wrong and that the Thermostat is stuck open?

If its stuck open that would be why the gauge drops and the intensity of the hot air drops too, correct?

Any ideas? Am i right? or is Ford main dealer Right??

To test if the thermostat is stuck open, start the engine from cold a feel the top hose, if it warms straight away then the thermostat is stuck open, if it stays cold for 5 mins or more then its working fine.

To test if the thermostat is stuck open, start the engine from cold a feel the top hose, if it warms straight away then the thermostat is stuck open, if it stays cold for 5 mins or more then its working fine.

Cheers will try when engine cool first thing in morning. What top hose to be sure im checking correct one?

Cheers will try when engine cool first thing in morning. What top hose to be sure im checking correct one?

Just checked the top hoses out of the rad, it was cold! thermo ok then?

However i did notice that the coolant level was extreamly low? could this be the cause as not enough water in the system???

Next question would be where has the coolant gone? I think a service is required!!

the big question is, why did the main dealer not do the simple test and find the low coolant ?

the big question is, why did the main dealer not do the simple test and find the low coolant ?

I have run the car for ages on the drive and the rad pipe never gets hot. The pipes to the heater matrix get warm, but that it?

Could something else be the cause?

I have run the car for ages on the drive and the rad pipe never gets hot. The pipes to the heater matrix get warm, but that it?

Could something else be the cause?

Sounds like you more than likely have an air lock in the coolant system....simple cure...and don't mean to state the obvious, but do this when the engine is cold!... remove the rad or expansion cap, make certain that the heater is set to max hot, and start the car....observe the water level, it should rise and fall slightly and emit the odd bubble of air....you can also rev the engine a little so that once the thermostat opens you can clear out any air in the system quicker. Once the level has settled, and you are certain that the thermostat is open, turn off the engine, and leave with the rad/expansion cap off for 5 - 10 min...as it cools more air should escape, hopefully....top up your level replace the cap and you should be ok.

Sounds like you more than likely have an air lock in the coolant system....simple cure...and don't mean to state the obvious, but do this when the engine is cold!... remove the rad or expansion cap, make certain that the heater is set to max hot, and start the car....observe the water level, it should rise and fall slightly and emit the odd bubble of air....you can also rev the engine a little so that once the thermostat opens you can clear out any air in the system quicker. Once the level has settled, and you are certain that the thermostat is open, turn off the engine, and leave with the rad/expansion cap off for 5 - 10 min...as it cools more air should escape, hopefully....top up your level replace the cap and you should be ok.

Thanks will try that and let you know the outcome..

Thanks will try that and let you know the outcome..

I have been for a drive today and it looks like the problem is not a problem after all? I read the owners manual and it states that under normal conditions it will stay in the centre area. That is what it is doing!

Thanks all