Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Halfords Installing a Dash Cam?

TomBoyNI

My local Halfords has a good offer on at the moment of a NextBase 412 dash cam with a memory card and installation for £165, which seems alright to me seeing as the camera is £129, and the hardwire kit £20.

My question is, has anyone used Halford's to install a dash cam and do they do a  good job?  Having only got the car I am a little adverse to someone pulling the trim off the thing and breaking something or doing an untidy job, or worse an untidy put back together?

Cheers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomBoyNI said:

My local Halfords has a good offer on at the moment of a NextBase 412 dash cam with a memory card and installation for £165, which seems alright to me seeing as the camera is £129, and the hardwire kit £20.

My question is, has anyone used Halford's to install a dash cam and do they do a  good job?  Having only got the car I am a little adverse to someone pulling the trim off the thing and breaking something or doing an untidy job, or worse an untidy put back together?

Cheers!

Similar discussion here mate: 

10 hours ago, Lenny said:

Similar discussion here mate: 

Ah...ok...cheers :unsure:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

fit it yourself as its an easy job and the hardwire kits don't cost £20 and its a 30min job to do i have fitted them in mine and other people's cars

I wouldn't let Halfords do anything to my car.

Hard wiring is easy imo.

Just identify the fuse you want to piggyback then get creative with hiding the cables.

• Like 1

The guy says that he is worried about having his trim pulled about, so telling him its easy to hardwire it himself is a bit naive. It is easy if you understand car wiring circuits and you have a multimeter or some other tester, if not the deal seems good. Halfords is no better nor worse than some other stores or workshops. All work on a car is hit or miss unless you personally know the fitter or know someone who has had work done there. Even then it can be a bit hit and miss. I had a Thinkware f750 front and rear camera fitted under a free fitting deal by a firm  that fits and maintains fleet telemetrics. instead of getting the 3 wire hardwiring kit he wired it by cutting up the powe plud r lead, 2 wires, It ran 24/7 and over wrote everything every 4 hours.  I now do my own.

There is only 1 bit of trim to remove to hardwire a camera and I am sure that it would be difficult for a fitter who has done no doubt many Next base cameras to mess it up.

Talk to Halfords and express your concerns and go for it.

If you do it yourself or get a mate to do it, it's fuse 13 for ignition and 21 for continuos power.

It's a job that most people think is harder than it is (myself included until i did the first one).

If you're not at all a practical person then fair enough, but you don't really need to know much about car electrics if you use common sense and follow the advice and guides freely available.

We don't like to see people paying unnecessarily on here and I've heard of far too many bad stories of Halfords. Mainly because most of their staff are inexperienced.

You get to go careful on your trims then too. :)

• Like 1

I'll be honest, i didn't actually need to remove any of my trim to fit my front camera - it just tucked behind the door seal, the top of the a pillar and the headlining.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Micro said:

I'll be honest, i didn't actually need to remove any of my trim to fit my front camera - it just tucked behind the door seal, the top of the a pillar and the headlining.

That's all i did too.

• Like 1