Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mixing tyres

CookieM

Took my car in for service yesterday and they found a screw embedded in the tyre. I said I'd look around for some tyres, hoping to get the same ones that are already on the car. Am I right in thinking that you shouldn't mix and match? At least not on the same axle?

The ones on the car are the ones from factory (Michelin radial x 235/35/R19).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's not as important on the back for a FWD car.

Even if you can get the same tyre, I'd have the odd one put on the back so the fronts have matching tyre wear.

Might just mean a bit of swapping round of wheels.

Yeah the puncture is on the rear anyway

Being an ST you need to stick decent tyres on it anyway imo. The traction control and suspension are more tuned than on the standard cars.

I'd only put the same ones on mine, but then I like the big lip on the Eagle F1s.

Problem is I can't find the ones that are on there now, Not even ford can. I don't really want to fork out for 2 let alone a full set lol.

I think I'll get a second opinion on whether it's repairable or not and go from there

Have you looked online, black circles, places like that for them?

You can always order tyre only and get your local trusted garage/dealer to fit it. I'm sure they won't mind if they can't get hold of them anyway.

Yeah looked online, can't find then anywhere. I'm looking at Avon zz5s as a replacement but trying to avoid buying 2 but still keep my mind at rest. I'm just worried about the mixed opinion of mixing different tread types.

On the rear of a FWD car they are mostly holding up the rear end and providing a contact patch for braking.

I wouldn't worry too much about having an odd tyre on the back. I'd be a bit OCD it didn't match though, lol.

Avon are good (my mum has them on her car), but not a top brand I'd stick on an ST if it was me.

What others are available in your size?

What model tyre do you have? There are 7 235/35/R19 Michelin tyres on black circles.

There's quite a few. Very pricy though lol. Can get one of those Avon for £95 fitted.

Just rang a local place who are going to look at my current tyre first and see if they think it's repairable. If it is, it's only £20.

They're not cheap tyres, one reason I didn't want 19s. (Not that my 18s are that much cheaper).

I wouldn't scrimp on tyres for an ST personally.

All sorted. Took it to another place who have repaired it for me for £21.

Not sure where I was looking on the tyre or what radial x is, but they are actually pilot sport 3's