Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please help!!!

ajzetecs

Been having few issue.

My focus 1.8 tdci has jeking at low speed and need to accelerate to stop it. Also kicks out blue smoke when its jerky.

Disconnected maf and runs bit better and a slight jerk but bareable.

Bought new maf, plugged in, wiped codes and still same as before.

Bought some new glow plugs thats next job as read up may be related.

Also there is fuel on black pipe connected to injector.

On 3/22/2017 at 6:01 PM, ajzetecs said:

Been having few issue.

My focus 1.8 tdci has jeking at low speed and need to accelerate to stop it. Also kicks out blue smoke when its jerky.

Disconnected maf and runs bit better and a slight jerk but bareable.

Bought new maf, plugged in, wiped codes and still same as before.

Bought some new glow plugs thats next job as read up may be related.

Also there is fuel on black pipe connected to injector.

I know someone who had this and it turned out to be some issue with the gearbox (sorry not sure what). What I recommend is take it to your local ford dealership (they will look at it and diagnose for free) then get the work done elsewhere. What I've found is alot of garages charge you just to look at the car! As crap as the dealerships are, they are good at spotting issues so since its free its a no brainer!

Goodluck mate!

On 22/03/2017 at 6:01 PM, ajzetecs said:

My focus 1.8 tdci has jerking at low speed and need to accelerate to stop it. Also kicks out blue smoke when its jerky.

I think I would change the crank sensor next, and either blank the EGR (if not blanked), or un-blank it (if blanked). Also I would change the fuel filter (unless known to be a good one).

If it happens when the engine is warm, I do not think it will be glowplugs. They only seem to be used at start-up on these engines. I had one gone this winter, it just made it run very rough for about 30 sec after a cold start, then it was fine, even with one duff glowplug.

The black pipe from the injector is a leak off pipe, taking the fuel used to operate the injector back to the tank. A leak there is not nice (fire hazard if nothing else), but I find it hard to link it to the jerky running problem. These pipes should be quite easy to remove, and inspect for damage.

The leak off pipes can also be used to test the injectors, by measuring the amount of fuel that comes from each injector. There are Youtube vids of this.

7 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I think I would change the crank sensor next, and either blank the EGR (if not blanked), or un-blank it (if blanked). Also I would change the fuel filter (unless known to be a good one).

If it happens when the engine is warm, I do not think it will be glowplugs. They only seem to be used at start-up on these engines. I had one gone this winter, it just made it run very rough for about 30 sec after a cold start, then it was fine, even with one duff glowplug.

The black pipe from the injector is a leak off pipe, taking the fuel used to operate the injector back to the tank. A leak there is not nice (fire hazard if nothing else), but I find it hard to link it to the jerky running problem. These pipes should be quite easy to remove, and inspect for damage.

The leak off pipes can also be used to test the injectors, by measuring the amount of fuel that comes from each injector. There are Youtube vids of this.

Cheers peter 

Just ordered crank sensor as advised.

May change back to paper filter from ramair filter to see if that makes any difference.

Dont have egr blanked, may put back in, egr has software delete but may still help.

20 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

think a need to change glow plugs aswell peter, its starting poor and chucking out blue smoke, worse when not started for a while

2 hours ago, ajzetecs said:

its starting poor and chucking out blue smoke, worse when not started for a while

I wonder if that could be some oil getting into the engine, perhaps through worn valve seals. oil smoke smells different to diesel smoke, worse, I think. And any sign of the oil level going down?

It is just that in my (limited!) experience, glowplug problems are very dependent on temperature, especially below about 7C. Not so much on time between starts, as long as it has time to cool down fully (eg overnight). Above about 12C, I often don't bother to wait for the plugs to heat, just start up. Oil could seep in through valve seals over a period of time, and build up in the combustion chamber. Just a thought.

Though on these engines, glowplugs are not too difficult to change, with a bit of care & planning. Access looks awful, but is adequate if you have the right tools. And decent Bosch plugs are not expensive. So if you still suspect plugs, give it a go and see if it helps. If they are old, changing them is a good idea anyway, as they may go any time, and are more likely to jam in the head if left.

I did a partial guide to glowplug changing here:

Does the car pull ok once running, without hesitations while cruising at low throttle openings?

On 3/27/2017 at 0:01 AM, Tdci-Peter said:

I wonder if that could be some oil getting into the engine, perhaps through worn valve seals. Oil smoke smells different to diesel smoke, worse, I think. And any sign of the oil level going down?

It is just that in my (limited!) experience, glowplug problems are very dependent on temperature, especially below about 7C. Not so much on time between starts, as long as it has time to cool down fully (eg overnight). Above about 12C, I often don't bother to wait for the plugs to heat, just start up. Oil could seep in through valve seals over a period of time, and build up in the combustion chamber. Just a thought.

Though on these engines, glowplugs are not too difficult to change, with a bit of care & planning. Access looks awful, but is adequate if you have the right tools. And decent Bosch plugs are not expensive. So if you still suspect plugs, give it a go and see if it helps. If they are old, changing them is a good idea anyway, as they may go any time, and are more likely to jam in the head if left.

Does the car pull ok once running, without hesitations while cruising at low throttle openings?

hi peter.

yer my car pulls fine much better changed the maf sensor, pick up is better not great, some lag now and then.

what seals need changing?

I am selling car end of month so trying to sort few issues out, don't want garage to pickup on anything.

Think i might put back in paper filter and remove ramair see if any change, may be bad air to fuel mixture, too much air from upgrade filter.

also put back egr blank.

another query peter, do you know the location of the crankshaft sensor

2 hours ago, ajzetecs said:

do you know the location of the crankshaft sensor

It is low down at the rear of the engine, sensing the flywheel.

For some obscure reason, Haynes says to set the engine to no.1 TDC before removing it. I seem to recall someone, it may have been iantt, saying this was not needed. It is not for adjustment, it is just bolted in. Maybe it could hit the flywheel during removal, or more importantly if being replaced, during assembly.

CrnkSen1.PNG

crnkSen2.PNG

On 27/03/2017 at 0:01 AM, Tdci-Peter said:

I wonder if that could be some oil getting into the engine, perhaps through worn valve seals. Oil smoke smells different to diesel smoke, worse, I think. And any sign of the oil level going down?

Sounds like a pain to do hope can find it, bet nothing wrong with mine just a few cheap possibly fixes.