Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do you wash yours?

xn85

I probably need to get a life, but I actually enjoy cleaning my cars! I like the feeling that driving round in a clean, shiny car gives me, too. In my defence, my colour of Edge looks amazing when shiny, though appears brown when dirty...

Recently I used a forecourt pressure wash to clean the mud off my car. I had the keys in my pocket. Every time the water stream touched the door handles the car locked / unlocked itself. The mirrors were folding / unfolding like little wings flapping! At home I leave the keys in the house to avoid this happening.

Is there any way of temporarily deactivating the touch sensitive door handles? I tried double-locking the car using the remote and that didn't help... I didn't want to try leaving the keys inside the car in case I locked them in...

Has anyone else found this problem?

thanks. Dave

• Like 2

I carried out an experiment by leaving the spare in the house and leaving the main on the drivers seat and tryed to lock the car.

It wouldn't.

There is a setting in the info screens something along the lines of "Inteligent locking" which is what seems to control that.

Ah... should have read the manual! 

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try...

So do I- just waiting now for a socially acceptable time to go out and wash it. It's getting its first layer of wax today- will post results! 

Haven't needed to clean mine. It has been back to Ford so often it always came back fully valeted 😀

I just get the Polish lads down the car wash to hand  wash mine .They do a good Job for a £5er

I've found a website called cleanyourcar. I bought a foam lance. snow foam and maguires shampoo. For the wheels I use iron x and maguires tyre dressing. I had the car detailed as soon as I collected it. 

My neighbours think I need to get a life but the results after every wash are amazing. 

It is annoying when the boot opens though.

• Like 1

Considering a foam lance due to the size of the edge if nothing else!  You got any pics of the car Jason? What level of detailing did you go for? 

I paid £30 for the foam canon. I use pro valet snow foam £28 for 5 litres. I'll take some photos the next time I wash her. The results are amazing. The guy I used done 2 coats of wax and scotch guarded other interior. Cost me £300 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/03/2017 at 6:36 AM, xn85 said:

I probably need to get a life, but I actually enjoy cleaning my cars! I like the feeling that driving round in a clean, shiny car gives me, too. In my defence, my colour of Edge looks amazing when shiny, though appears brown when dirty...

Recently I used a forecourt pressure wash to clean the mud off my car. I had the keys in my pocket. Every time the water stream touched the door handles the car locked / unlocked itself. The mirrors were folding / unfolding like little wings flapping! At home I leave the keys in the house to avoid this happening.

Is there any way of temporarily deactivating the touch sensitive door handles? I tried double-locking the car using the remote and that didn't help... I didn't want to try leaving the keys inside the car in case I locked them in...

Has anyone else found this problem?

thanks. Dave

Hi,

Have had the same happen to me, but what I do now is avoid getting the full pressure of water on the handle! Go round it.

I only wash my car at home unlock car and leave keys in shed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue re the doors locking / unlocking when power washing.  Two solutions.... Leave your key in the car and it will not lock, or as I do, put the key in the garage whilst washing, again it will not lock as not in proximity.

I use Super snow foam from Autobrite Direct with their snow foam lance on my Karcher washer.  Whilst the foam dwells, I make a nice coffee.  20 mins later, I rinse then do a hand wash using Simoniz wash and wax I bought in a massive container from Costco.  I have to use a small step ladder to get the roof done and my neighbours think I'm a bit odd, but unless I wear my wife's stilettos, (not a good option) I'm not sure of a decent alternative. Another rinse then dry with a microfibre towel.  Meguires tyre shine added every couple of washes and Auto-Finesse interior cleaner for the dash, door trim, seats (I don't like leather so have the cloth interior) etc.

• Like 1