Do Not Sell My Personal Information

gearbox just give up on my lovely focus :(

smith42

Well I finally found my way here after a rather botched up 'hello' thread by me.

Right well gearbox on my focus just went,couldn't select any gears apart from reverse (which was handy least I could get it out the way). She is an 03 model and she has done 94000 miles,and just a couple months ago I got a new clutch fitted. And thats all Ive had to do to her in the 5 years and 44k miles Ive owned her. It pains me to think she gotta go we been through a lot,but is it worth fitting a new gearbox?? Im guessing it wont be cheap?? Ive actually been eyeing up a new focus and Im finding em for about 1500 quid with less than 50k miles on the clock. Is that my better option,or is it worth getting fixed??

Lots of questions sorry...but its not everyday things like this happen.

Cheers!

See if you can get a good second hand one from a breaks yard there must be a few around

by now :smile:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, smith42 said:

gearbox on my focus just went,couldn't select any gears apart from reverse

First I would double check it is the gearbox, and not just the gear selecting mechanism. It sounds a bit of an odd fault to have, if it really is in the gearbox. But I am no expert on these! It could be a relatively cheap fix if it is the gear selectors.

But before spending any real money on the car, have a good look underneath, especially around the rear suspension area, and wheel arches, for bad rust. On my (Mk2) Focus, the whole rear area is very prone to rusting, and replacing major suspension bits can get expensive. I have taken to corrosion proofing mine on an annual basis.

Then it comes down to the devil you know, vs the one you don't. A £1500 car will not have much of a warranty, you need to get it from someone you can trust, ideally!

• Like 2

I had this on a Renault Megane I had.

No gears what so ever and it turned out be the gear selector cable bracket had snapped.

Only cost me £18 all in for a new one and a few hours to do it all.

Hope yours is as easy as that.

As Tdci-Peter said above I would be surprised if it was the gearbox.

Good luck and let us know your findings.👍

• Like 4

The gear linkages were known to be prone to failure on the MK1 Foci, so I could check that first. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers all! checked all the basic easy stuff but it was 100% gear box failure. After much umming and ahhing I had a look too see what other cars were about. I ended up finding a lovely blue 1.8 focus,its a wee bit older being an 02 model but its only done 46k miles.

Car all checked out good,full service 1 elderly owner so handed over the 1300 quid. Personally think its a steal at the price. Car feels and performs great,very sporty compared to my old 1.6 focus.

Anyway well chuffed so far,but ya never know wiv 2nd hand motors.

• Like 3

Good stuff.  Shame about the old one but the 1.8 engine is ten times better, so you should enjoy that much more! 

That mileage is astonishingly low, so well done finding it.

• Like 2

cheers mate!

Yea loving the car same but tighter and quite a lot nippier.

Asked in another thread but had no answer(maybe cause its simple),will a set of st170 wheels fit straight on. I reckon its a yes just wanna check with on here first ;)

really wanted an st170 tbh but they mostly high mileage at my price point. So I at least want the wheels :)