Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led headlight bulbs

Nicholls0601

I've got a 2008 mk2.5 can I replace my standard headlight bulbs with an led version?

• Like 1

I have looked in to this question and I think that the consensus of opinion is that not a good idea but you can always give it a go 

LED side lights? there is a good chance they will fail real quick, I found some I got from china and attached a heat sink around them and they have been fine but I had a couple of pairs from Halfords and they failed within weeks.

I also saw a set of lamps that had melted the plastic lens due to crappy high powered lights so mind what you are doing.

as for fitting LED headlights, there are mixed opinions on this, the problem is heat, you might believe that LEDs are low power and have a low heat output and to a degree your correct, but there are some voltage regulators / transformers that power these things and they can get super hot, our lamps are not designed with ventilation in mind to cool these things down so id be really cautious of the expensive LED Bulbs breaking or worse melting something

• Like 1

Fitting LED headlight bulbs to your car in reflectors is illegal. Fitting them in projectors is illegal without auto leveling and washers.

Good luck telling your insurance company you retrofit LEDs because they will probably void your insurance due the light output not being anything near that of a factory fit LED headlight.

• Like 1

Think I'll give it a miss then and just upgrade the standard bulbs

Thanks for the replies 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Nicholls0601 said:

I've got a 2008 mk2.5 can I replace my standard headlight bulbs with an led version?

No 

LED Bulbs can't be focused to a pointin the way a Halogen bulb can.

The led bulb spreads equal levels of light in all directions which can't be altered without the correct headlight housing if atall.

led's Can legally be used as signal indicators such as reverse light, parking light, fog light and drl but not for seeing the road with.

ive fitted Cree H11 in my fogs and although there 6000k and look just like HID there not as bright as a 55w halogen not even half as bright but they look good when turned on along with the parking bulbs.

At the end of the day it's your vehicle and money but I personally wouldn't bother mate. 

• Like 1

yes mate I agree I use led lights in my side lights and also front fogs as well the only trouble I have is the sealing washed on the bulb and lets in a bit of moisture and the fact that the bulb doesn't get hot enough to dry out the moisture. Had to dry out the lens several times before the mot 

15 hours ago, Lenny said:

fog light and drl but not for seeing the road with

And there was me thinking that foglights were for seeing the road with :wacko:

• Like 1

I always thought they were fitted for you to be able to see better? Guess it's the same with sidelights there for you to be seen not you to see. 

Anybody fitted nightbreakers in there fogs?

6 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

Guess it's the same with sidelights there for you to be seen not you to see.

Not the same as sidelights. Fogs are there to light up the road immediately ahead without causing a lot of reflected glare from the fog. That's why they're fitted low down. Because their beam is nearly horizontal there are strict regulations regarding their use to prevent dazzling oncoming drivers although many seem unaware of this and regard it as "cool" to drive with them on at all times.

Sidelights are, as Matt says, intended to make your car visible and are really only intended for parking. They're not bright enough to be visible for any distance so if the visibility is poor you should be using dipped headlights.

51 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

I always thought they were fitted for you to be able to see better? Guess it's the same with sidelights there for you to be seen not you to see. 

Anybody fitted nightbreakers in there fogs?

Considered fitting them instead of the led, I have "nightbreaker plus unlimited" in high and low beam; rarely use high beam as there so good. 

41 minutes ago, mjt said:

although many seem unaware of this and regard it as "cool" to drive with them on at all times.

There are a lot of drivers near me who do this every morning..

Its one of those things that bugs me a great deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lenny said:

Considered fitting them instead of the led, I have "nightbreaker plus unlimited" in high and low beam; rarely use high beam as there so good. 

I've nightbreakers on main and dipped so was thinking of going for the full set.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Commencal24 said:

I've nightbreakers on main and dipped so was thinking of going for the full set.

Shir why not 😎

I have nightbreakers as high beam and cool blue intense as dipped beam. The improvement over standard is amazing!

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

Shir why not 😎

Once I get round to purchasing the RS gloss black grill and fog surrounds I'll get them at the same time 👍🏼

• Like 1