Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about alloys

Paulr23

Hi,

Firstly im not too sure where to post this so I apologise if its in the wrong place

I went to a local garage today to get my wheels balanced as I have been experiencing heavy steering wheel shaking when going around 70-80mph, I have a 2005 Ford Fiesta (its the facelift model if that is any help to anyone the one with the different design lights), upon arriving back to see after looking around at a few shops, they told me my front two wheels were buckled and one of them and I quote "the worst they have ever seen", I'm unsure whether the rear alloys are buckled though and I asked whether they could swap them round for the mean time till I find another solution, which they said would be pointless as it would put strain on the axle or bushes, something like that. They didn't charge anything so not overly bothered

These are the alloys I currently have now: https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_fiesta_mk6_6jx15_alloy_wheel_f_1141427_c_246.htm

I have a few questions, is it not worth me moving my back alloys to the front and front ones to the back myself because of what they said for the mean time?

Has anyone had wheels repaired? I've looked this up as an option and it seems cheaper than buying second hand ones and buying second hand ones also is proving to be quite difficult to find (Essex). I'm not overly bothered about the wheels being damaged if they got repaired as the car is quite aged now, just more the safety of having wheels repaired and if it would have any repercussions later.

And finally would anyone know if alloys from other mark 6 models would still fit my car? As this might be a little bit easier to find other alloy models. Preferably I don't really want to have steel wheels on there because that will degrade the value of the car and wouldn't really want any complaints if I sold it with the alloys that is currently on the car. (Although I only have had the car for 2 months and its been like this since) 

Thanks if anyone can help

Paul

Yes u can have any mark 6 wheels in ur they will fit even mk7 alloys fit. And yes put ur back ones on the front for now if they are not buckled the bloke was talking crap and just couldn't be bothered to change them for ya. Everyone always puts the buckled alloy on the rear until they can get new alloy

I believe any mk6 / mk6.5 15 inch alloys will fit. i had a mk 6.5 with the later alloys than yours (2007 year). 

these ones i think:

http://s170.photobucket.com/user/jimbo13681/media/alloys.jpg.html

after 3 of them got bent I replaced all mine with 14inch steel wheels which were standard on the Studio model (and identical to the spare in most fiestas of that era) and bought a set of wheel trims from tescos. Yes I know it does not look as good but more practical (very hard to damage the steel wheels and the 175/65/14 tyres are cheap

8 minutes ago, mikeyd1 said:

Yes u can have any mark 6 wheels in ur they will fit even mk7 alloys fit. And yes put ur back ones on the front for now if they are not buckled the bloke was talking crap and just couldn't be bothered to change them for ya. Everyone always puts the buckled alloy on the rear until they can get new alloy

3 minutes ago, isetta said:

I believe any mk6 / mk6.5 15 inch alloys will fit. i had a mk 6.5 with the later alloys than yours (2007 year). 

these ones i think:

http://s170.photobucket.com/user/jimbo13681/media/alloys.jpg.html

after 3 of them got bent I replaced all mine with 14inch steel wheels which were standard on the Studio model (and identical to the spare in most fiestas of that era) and bought a set of wheel trims from tescos. Yes I know it does not look as good but more practical (very hard to damage the steel wheels and the 175/65/14 tyres are cheap

Don't believe either of you two know whether or not I could buy some of the other mk6 alloys and fit my tyres on, as the ford spares website says 195/60/15 tyres for those you linked. And the tyres on my car at the moment are 195/50/15, so slighly lower profile I think? Not entirely sure. 

4 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Seems to be a common problem with Ford alloys.

Yes, the man in the garage said it was very common, I live in Canterbury most of the time and the side roads are very very bad. 

Hi Paul, Ive just had a look on eBay for you and there are plenty of MK6 alloys for the MK6 on there.

Plenty of the same style you already have aswell, Sold in sets of 4 or singles wheels.

As already said above, Most 15 inch alloys for the MK6 should be OK with your tyres but to be on the safe side you could take one of your wheels off and and on the back wheel be the size's.

2 minutes ago, Spanish_Fiesta said:

Hi Paul, Ive just had a look on ebay for you and there are plenty of Alloys for the MK6 on there.

Plenty of the same style you already have aswell, Sold in sets of 4 or singles wheels.

As already said above, Most 15 inch alloys for the MK6 should be OK with your tyres but to be on the safe side you could take one of your wheels off and and on the back of the wheel will be the size's.

9 hours ago, Spanish_Fiesta said:

Hi Paul, Ive just had a look on ebay for you and there are plenty of MK6 Alloys for the MK6 on there.

As already said above, Most 15 inch alloys for the MK6 should be OK with your tyres but to be on the safe side you could take one of your wheels off and and on the back wheel be the size's.

Hi Steve,

Thanks a bunch, gonna test out the car this evening see whether or not it is still shaking at 70-80mph, then will post back here as I swapped the wheels around. Did another quick look on eBay and yes there is plenty. Kinda strange how the ones that are on my car are more expensive though than other models, guess its because they are more scarce so therefore prices are a tad higher. Turned out I was searching for the wrong thing, searching "Mk6 fiesta alloys" was a lot better. 

Ta

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paulr23 said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks a bunch, gonna test out the car this evening see whether or not it is still shaking at 70-80mph, then will post back here as I swapped the wheels around. Did another quick look on ebay and yes there is plenty. Kinda strange how the ones that are on my car are more expensive though than other models, guess its because they are more scarce so therefore prices are a tad higher. Turned out I was searching for the wrong thing, searching "Mk6 fiesta alloys" was a lot better. 

Ta

I saw a few wheels the same style as yours sold as single wheels, So if need be you could just replace the 1 or 2 that are buckled.

but don't forget if buying 2nd hand they might be bent. check them thoroughly as soon as you can and if buying from eBay and they are bent you should in theory be protected by ebay/paypal protection if you paid with paypal and they were posted to you (as opposed to collected by you or someone you organised yourself)

Just a quick update, swapped the wheels over, tried to look at the two apparent buckled wheels which the garage said. Could see it but it wasn't the worst they have seen im sure, it was very minor, although on a balancing machine it could look worse, the back ones which are now on the front didn't appear to be buckled however whoever owned the car before me could have done the same trick as me. I've got the same issue still though, when im driving I feel like vibrations in not only the steering wheel but also in the footwell can this also be a sign of buckled wheels?. It is literally just as I hit 75mph and happens most of the time but not all of the time. I'm totally baffled as to what this could be, and as someone else has said going to eBay would mean trusting whether they are buckled or not, which I primarly wouldn't depending on some circumstances.

I guess if the back two are buckled, it will still vibrate the front ones due to it vibrating the axle and frame etc possibly? Not entirely sure

Think im going to go to a new garage tomorrow, perhaps the same company Jets Tyres but a different location as noticed on their site they do wheel straightening, if anyone can recommend a good place to go for advice in south essex would be good to know. 

8 hours ago, Paulr23 said:

I've got the same issue still though, when im driving I feel like vibrations in not only the steering wheel but also in the footwell can this also be a sign of buckled wheels?

Unbalanced/buckled front wheels would cause a vibration in the steering wheel and unbalanced/buckled wheels on the back would cause vibration through the body of the car

They must be pretty bad on the rear to feel through the car though unless the garage you went to hasn't balanced them because they seen a slight buckle?

Ive just last week swapped my steel wheels for alloys and below is the worst of my two front wheels.

I thought I just needed them balancing but held back from doing it as I was putting alloys on. (Only had the car a few weeks) It wasnt me who did this to the steelies.

Put the new wheels on, And all the vibration in the steering wheel has gone.

20170325_162613.jpg

On 3/30/2017 at 7:44 AM, Mark93 said:

Unbalanced/buckled front wheels would cause a vibration in the steering wheel and unbalanced/buckled wheels on the back would cause vibration through the body of the car

They must be pretty bad on the rear to feel through the car though unless the garage you went to hasn't balanced them because they seen a slight buckle?

Hi Mark,

The garage I went to just took the front two of and refused to balance them or even try to because they were buckled. I went home and put the front two on the back and the problem still persists but from 75mph+ instead of 70mph, so it sounds like its the wheels. Still yet to go to another garage though and get another opinion on it, which ill do next week at a garage which claims to straighten alloys too. 

On 3/30/2017 at 1:21 PM, Spanish_Fiesta said:

Ive just last week swapped my steel wheels for alloys and below is the worst of my two front wheels.

I thought I just needed them balancing but held back from doing it as I was putting alloys on. (Only had the car a few weeks) It wasnt me who did this to the steelies.

Put the new wheels on, And all the vibration in the steering wheel has gone.

20170325_162613.jpg

Jeezus christ, thats no where near as bad as what I have on mine, it was barely noticeable. Did that cause a heavy vibration as it seems quite severe?

3 hours ago, Paulr23 said:

Jeezus christ, thats no where near as bad as what I have on mine, it was barely noticeable. Did that cause a heavy vibration as it seems quite severe?

Yeah the vibration was noticeable but not really that bad until I was at around 60 - 70 mph and it was quite bad then.

Its gone now Ive changed my wheels.