Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus ST Mk2 whirring noise - help please!!

Kazzz

Hi all!

My car is making a noise similar to this one : 

In the comments they are saying that manifold screws were lose.  Does anyone know where to locate these and is it something that can be easily be done yourself?  Any pictures/diagrams etc would be great.

Thanks

A bit more information, The noise only stays for like less than a minute after starting the engine.

Would Kwik fit know where to look?

Thanks

pull your oil dipstick out if it stops its the oil filter housing common issue on car

• Like 1

On 30/03/2017 at 0:15 AM, Kazzz said:

A bit more information, The noise only stays for like less than a minute after starting the engine.

Would Kwik fit know where to look?

Thanks

Kwik Fit wouldn't even know where to look to start the car let alone fix owt!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I had the breakdown guy take a look, he reckons its the cam variator as the oil is drained out the engine when the cars off and when it starts up it takes a while for the cylinder head to fill up with oil at which point the noise also stops/lessens.

I can't find much online about this.  Any help please?

Thanks

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, Loonytaz said:

pull your oil dipstick out if it stops its the oil filter housing common issue on car

this is correct

I have the same engine by the sound of it it is a common problem  on  the 225 engine it probably is the oil filter diafram in the oil filter assy. .Unfortunataly you will need to replace the whole oil filter assy. to the new modified type that is made to stop this fault  .I think its easy to change three bolts I think After you take out the air filter assy. that is in the way. And yes it makes that exact same whistling  noise when it goes. Look on eBay there at loads there.

It is not that. I had that issue a while ago and already had it replaced. 

I have managed to post a video of this:

• 5 years later...

Did you ever find out what the problem is? My 07 has just started doing the same!

If you’re talking about an ST it’ll be worth checking the oil filter diaphragm as mentioned above. 

Though I think the symptoms are usually a high pitched whistling, the check is to see if it goes away if you open the oil filler cap while the engine is running - also pressure/vacuum if you try to remove the dipstick. 

Google for more info, think it needs the whole oil filter unit replacing to fix it - as mentioned above

Hi Troy,
It's not the oil diaphragm.
Sounds like it's coming from one of the belts but, had a mechanic look at it and he says it's not the belts.
Bit flummoxed if I'm honest!

It only does it on cold start, or when started after a while sat in a sunny car park. 

It’s not the alternator on its way out is it? Or one of the belt tensioners 

Failing that maybe try speaking to Gary at Collins Performance, he has years and years of experience with ST’s

• 3 weeks later...

Not like that F0cue. I’ll upload a video this evening. Cheers

• Like 1