Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus drinks petrol

spagball

I bought a 2005 1.6 petrol Ghia Auto last August. It had 64000mls with full service history. I'm very happy apart from the mpg. It drinks petrol. I drive like a nun and i still only get about 30mpg in the country, if i start driving fast i actually think i can see the dial moving, if i drive at about 70mph im getting 20mpg.

I did a bit of research and got the O2 sensors changed (£80 for each +time=£240 unbelievable) didnt make any difference. 

Any ideas? Is 30 to 35mpg normal for this car? I'm getting about 140mls per tank.

Any info appreciated   

i have same engine on a 51 plate around town average 35.   £20 i can get 120miles and thats mix of town and motorway   my milage 144 thousand

I have the same issues - I get 310 miles to a full tank  :sad:

I get around 20 M.P.G. round town, not very impressed. but as I only do around 40 miles a month I am not too bothered.

30-35MPG isn't great, but is unfortunately normal, especially for an automatic.  My 1.8 manual gets around 32MPG and that is with me driving like an old woman keeping the revs below 3,000RPM and keeping 5MPH below the speed limits.

Hence why I prefer diesels, as my 405 with its 1.9 turbo diesel gets over 45MPG regardless of how I drive it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread guys I feel positively overjoyed now that I'm getting 25 mpg out of my RS

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Philf1 said:

Thanks for this thread guys I feel positively overjoyed now that I'm getting 25 mpg out of my RS

Haha!  I bet you're getting a damn sight more BHP out of that than a 1.6 automatic, or my 1.8 manual even!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philf1 said:

Bar steward, lol

I bought a 1.8 Zetec S over an ST thinking I couldn't afford the petrol, saying that I'd probably be booting an ST everywhere if I had bought one, so yeah my 30ish mpg isn't the end of the world.

• Like 1

I have have a mk1 1.6 with fast road cams and a few other mods (142bhp) and I average 34mpg on a short run to work daily, and that's even with a heavy right foot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I got 314 miles on a full tank, though  the fuel indicator light did not go on, so I would add 6 miles to that and that is a 1.8 on she'll v power with no motorway driving.

I am happy with this as it gets me through a month.

16 hours ago, spagball said:

Any ideas? Is 30 to 35mpg normal for this car? I'm getting about 140mls per tank.

Any info appreciated   

We have a 2004 Mk1 1.6 Zetec  (110,000 miles) which I think has a 55 litre (12 gallon) tank and the best we get is around 370 miles per tank on mixed driving using Supermarket fuel.  So that's around 30 miles per gallon.

If you're only getting 140 miles per tank that's really poor and more like 11 mpg assuming your tank is the same size.

Thanks for all info, my last car was a modern diesel so this is a big change, i feel a bit better now but wish i hadnt changed the O2 sensors! Also i think the 140mls a tank is a mis-calculation on my part more like 360. Just happy that the mileage im getting is normal for this car Cheers

360 miles on a tank on a 1.6 is good.  My old mk 1.5 ford focus would do around 350 miles.  I worked out it was doing around 36 mpg which I was happy with.  My mk 2.5 ford focus 1.8 petrol is better and averages 38 - 40 mpg.

20 hours ago, spagball said:

Thanks for all info, my last car was a modern diesel so this is a big change,

Lol I know what you mean.  Our new 1.5 TDCi Focus has a smaller (50l) tank but we average over 600 miles from a tank.

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, spagball said:

I bought a 2005 1.6 petrol Ghia Auto last August. It had 64000mls with full service history. I'm very happy apart from the mpg. It drinks petrol. I drive like a nun and i still only get about 30mpg in the country, if i start driving fast i actually think i can see the dial moving, if i drive at about 70mph im getting 20mpg.

I did a bit of research and got the O2 sensors changed (£80 for each +time=£240 unbelievable) didnt make any difference. 

Any info appreciated   

I have an O6 plate 1.6 Focus. I`m always very careful to drive efficiently, I use the brake as little as possible and cruise at 65 on the motorway (though that`s also for other reasons, it`s that bit quieter and safer). On a run I get up to low 40s. On mixed driving but mainly round town it drops to just under 30. I find the avg mpg readout is about 5% high on average, I religiously check the brim to brim mpg !

49 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

I have an O6 plate 1.6 Focus. I`m always very careful to drive efficiently, I use the brake as little as possible and cruise at 65 on the motorway (though that`s also for other reasons, it`s that bit quieter and safer). On a run I get up to low 40s. On mixed driving but mainly round town it drops to just under 30. I find the avg mpg readout is about 5% high on average, I religiously check the brim to brim mpg !

Agree mine is good on M/Ways, it's the short town driving thats killer!! Around 330 miles to a tank of town driving, vs nearly 400 of pure Motorway

1.6 100PS TITANIUM Focus. Getting (just now) 35 ish mpg (7 miles drive to and from work) which will rise during the summer months due to the temperature. On a run it climbs to around 38/39 mpg.

2.0 2010 titanium, petrol with 52k on the clock, round town mid to high 20's. On a gd run on motorway at 65-70mph get bout 42-46mpg

General driving gives 320-340 a tank. Did a few 200mile round trips on m1 recently and its jumped to 430 a tank range wise afterwards.

If you getting such low economy you need to get fault finding cause something is serously wrong there.

You checked obvious things im assuming, condition of plugs to give indication of runnin lean, rich etc.. changed filters, any fault codes, no obvious leaks?

On 29/03/2017 at 7:07 AM, v530anh said:

I got 314 miles on a full tank, though  the fuel indicator light did not go on, so I would add 6 miles to that and that is a 1.8 on she'll v power with no motorway driving.

I am happy with this as it gets me through a month.

Crikey!  300 miles would barely get me through a week, but then I am a habitual driver...

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bit of a run the other day in the car and averaged 50mpg mostly A roads and a few B roads.

Quite happy with that for a 1.6 2009 zetec.

Surely this hasnt just started happening. 

And, Do you do Brim - Brim fuel calculations or just rely on the vastly inaccurate trip computer.

I get 450 miles to a tank in my Diesel focus st. but that is because i drive it hard. if i drive it carefully i can get 600+

I'm not suggesting that You drive it incorrectly. 

Is the car fully serviced. ie is the air filter newish/plugs less than 3 years old/what colour is the oil. if its thick and black then change it out.

Are the tyres inflated correctly.

Jamie

I have a 1.6 powershift it does 29mpg i live on isle of wight so can not boot it around.when i lived in Southampton it did 30/31.

On 28/03/2017 at 4:57 PM, spagball said:

Any info appreciated   

Depends how many miles your doing. I'm assuming it's the 1.6 100PS (not the vct) I have a 100 PS 1.6, drive 7 miles to work and 7 back daily, sitting at 35mpg just now but on a run it climbs to 38+

Check your air filter as it could also be dirty which won't help!

(edit....just noticed I double posted on this, oops!)