Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Walls Cracking - Cause For Concern?

jmurray01

Over the past few months I've been noticing cracks appearing in the bathroom walls, and also in some areas downstairs on the same walls.

The house was built in the 1960s so it could just be natural movement, but it seems to be happening quite suddenly as far as I'm concerned! 

Anyway, if anybody knows about building please take a look at the below pictures and let me know what you think...

WP_20170328_20_23_01_Pro.thumb.jpg.b9759be2d69e0b0599e280e0d507e960.jpgWP_20170328_20_23_09_Pro.thumb.jpg.a0c02e5bfa13693e29aa00151c2d4f85.jpgWP_20170328_20_23_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.8ffd6d70d70b715c0b899341a4462ec6.jpgWP_20170328_20_23_28_Pro.thumb.jpg.df7ab298d650e6af34a5a2a9f2a04ba6.jpg

Excuse the spider remains!  Forgot to clean them off since its death a few days ago...

WP_20170328_20_24_26_Pro.thumb.jpg.15afddb715bf0edc88eaa90205ed576b.jpgWP_20170328_20_24_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.b542a6f794d6283550cdb4044d5fbd8d.jpg

I am tempted to literally paint over the cracks, but if they are going to keep getting worse there is no point, and even plastering over them wouldn't work if the walls continue to shift. 

Use Painters caulk to fill the cracks, it's flexible and can be overpainted.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Lots of info here http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/settlement.htm 

Is it only on the inside?

I don't know if you own or rent your house but regardless, if it were me I would get someone in to have a look, even if only to give you peace of mind :wink:  

If you rent, get the landlord in. If you own, ask your neighbours if they have noticed anything similar. Ask around for recommendations for builders etc to have a look. 

Hopefully it's not serious. Keep us updated :wink:

• Like 1

Are these internal or external walls?

If internal are they hollow or solid?

It could be a case of the old plaster coming away from the walls if it's on a brick wall. I had a similar problem, if you tap the area does it sound hollow?

5 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Are these internal or external walls?

If internal are they hollow or solid?

They are internal and solid walls. 

By internal, I mean diving rooms?

Some looks like the inside of external walls.

Straight lines aren't usually too much of a worry - it's when they start following mortar lines.

The one above what I assume is a window just looks like lintel settlement. I'm guessing it will be a concrete lintel. If you tap on the "wall" right above the window opening is it solid or hollow sounding?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club