Do Not Sell My Personal Information

noises under the bonnet

Gymfocused

I've had a metallic rattle/ticking noise from under the bonnet. I thought it might have been a rattling heatshield, but now I'm thinking auxiliary belt. It sounds like its coming from that side of the block. Its only on opening of the throttle. Has anyone got any ideas? Could the belt simply be the cause? Also a high pitch noise started a couple of days ago, also from under the bonnet. Also throttle related, on opening of it. Thanks, Simon.

Sounds like auxiliary belt, they normally screech if slipping.

whilst it does not sound exactly like it, on my mk1 1.6 focus I had strange metallic noise from that area for months on and off and could not work out what it was. One day when I was 100 miles from home I found out what it was. The auxiliary belt came off as the plastic tensioner wheel had melted as the bearing in it had seized. The noise had been the bearing failing before finally jamming

Having learnt a lesson from this, if I have any strange noises in this area in the future on any car I will make sure I remove the belt and spin all pulleys/idler wheels etc to check them for play, roughness, strange noises etc.  Luckily I had RAC recovery cover, but it still delayed me by something like 6-8 hours getting home.

The main reason I could not carry on driving was because on that car the water pump is driven by that belt and it was overheating. The power steering was out also but I could have managed . The alternator of course did not work but I still probably could have made it home with the power left in the battery. but the water pump scuppered me.

Is it liable just to let go then? Is it an expensive job?

What will it cost?

I've just gone out to the car again and that high pitch noise is coming from around the distributor area. Help

Video the engine! Running of course, load up to youtube and then post it for everyone to watch & listen.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the latest news is that the noise is the timing chain will need replacing. Typical!

How much would be a reasonable price?

• 2 weeks later...

Is £400 a good price? Do the chains and/or tensioners just go? Mileage is 87xxx 

Anyone please?

you are nearing the age it should be dealt with, problem with timing chains and tensioners is that they can just go, and when they do you can kiss goo bye to your valves and a sizeable amount of money to fix the mess.

at 90k, Id say its time to get it sorted.

400 seems a little on the steep side if you ask me, shop about and see what you can get else where. remember you will need the timing belt, tensioners and water pump replaced.

Garage has said they don't think it is the chain. Possible tappet not filling up properly. £400 is the cheapest quote wevihad. Other places have quoted as much as £550. I'll try and upload a video. Another thing is they had to put in 2L off oil. She had an oil and filter about January time. 

Anyone else notice a lot of oil being used?

Check the oil yourself fill it up to a point on a flat road having left the car for a period of time, then periodically check the level every couple of weeks, make sure its on the same bit of road and after the same amount of time after yo turn the engine off.  the garage may have filled it up with 2l but you don't know how full it was before, perhaps the garage didn't fill it up properly the last time.

If it really needed 2 litres it was seriously low on oil as the capacity for the 1.8 petrol is 4.3 litres. I have read in other posts on this forum that the 1.8 does tend to use a bit of oil so it's important to check and top up regularly. Also, when checking, dip the oil twice and use the second reading because the first may appear to be off the bottom of the dipstick.

According to the Haynes the 1.8 has solid, not hydraulic, tappets.