Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Jets not working

georgeb22

Hi I have an 04 Ford Focus TDCI GHIA ESTATE, I know the weather is cold but my front and back water jets are not working, not even the usual noise you get when depressing the relevent butttons, both wipers work, just wondering whether they run off a fuse?

kind regards

Chris

Hi I have an 04 Ford Focus TDCI GHIA ESTATE, I know the weather is cold but my front and back water jets are not working, not even the usual noise you get when depressing the relevent butttons, both wipers work, just wondering whether they run off a fuse?

kind regards

Chris

If you press the washer button, regardless of noise or juice coming out, do the wipers do their sweeps after pressing the button? If not, then inclined to think 'fuse'. If the wipers do sweep, I'd wonder if the pump is the issue.

i have had this problem with both my cars the past 4days its defo due to the weather as they work again after 15mins or so of driving must be frozen over.

ive had the same and its the water freezing in the pump add 15 drops of vinegar white vinegar to the wash bottle also make sure you have at least 50/50 mix of pure screenwash and water the temp at night is around minus 7 sometimes i removed the pump and the water in the pump was frozen if it was in the bay it would defrost quicker but ford decided to shove it inside the wing under the liner giving it very little weather protection my dads nissan was the same as well as my sisters rover just the cold mate

good tip with the vinager will give this a try. i have 100% screenwash and mine is still freezing lol! cant be good for the wipers tho all this dry friction, makes me cringe! lol

100% screenwash...I don't mean to call you silly....but is it premix screenwash...like from Halfords?? Or are you pouring undilluted screenwash in??

Mine partly froze today...

Just a thought, if you use fairy liquid of any sort in the screenwash bottle it has a tendency to turn into gunk and block the fliter just before the pump...but if you got no noise whatsoever...gota be pump froze!!

:)

100% screenwash...I don't mean to call you silly....but is it premix screenwash...like from halfords?? Or are you pouring undilluted screenwash in??

Just a thought, if you use fairy liquid of any sort in the screenwash bottle it has a tendency to turn into gunk and block the fliter just before the pump...but if you got no noise whatsoever...gota be pump froze!!

Fairy liquid tends to rot the rubber tubing - it's quite acidic really!

it was my dads advice with the vinegar old school trick and its worked for me had no probs today you need 70 percent undiluted wash with 30 percent water and 15 drops of vinegar as its diluted it wont do any harm i was the same i checked every fuse thinking that was the prob my old man was a ford nut and he said its been the same with every one they ever built that the pump freezes due to where it is located

100% screenwash...I don't mean to call you silly....but is it premix screenwash...like from halfords?? Or are you pouring undilluted screenwash in??

im using asda's finest screenwash £1 gets you 2.5ltrs of pure liquid gold. says you can use it undiluted in severe weather conditions (i think we can safely say thats now) and that it contains a freezing inhibitor (ooooh).

im using asda's finest screenwash £1 gets you 2.5ltrs of pure liquid gold. says you can use it undiluted in severe weather conditions (i think we can safely say thats now) and that it contains a freezing inhibitor (ooooh).

i use same! :lol:

no freezing! :)

i use same! :lol:

no freezing! :)

some tramps probo !Removed! in me tank then, never mind be warm again in 6months! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Good tip about the vinagar, gonna give it a go as im sure my water is frozen, I had almost neat halfrauds screen wash in but say no more. I have been told that Aldi's screen wash is really good it goes down to -60 or so it says on the label.

One thing i was wondering about was when do the heaters come on in the washer jets? I assumed they would come on the front heater was on, and the rear jet with the rear window heater???

UPDATE 01:52

Just nipped out to tesco and bought some white vinegar poured in a small amount went a short slow run round about to let the vinegar do its magic and introduce some warmth but not a sausage, guessing I have a watter bottle shaped lump of ice :(

I dont think there was much fluid in the bottle so I have brought in about a litre of screen wash into the house (out the cold) and will put it in tomorrow and hope for the best.

some tramps probo !Removed! in me tank then, never mind be warm again in 6months! :lol:

Hate to tell you this but urine is probably one of the best de-icers going, not that I would advise you use it :)

Hate to tell you this but urine is probably one of the best de-icers going, not that I would advise you use it :)

Intresting, how did you discover this? :P

just been to Aldi's and asked the lady for screenwash she hasnt seen it for a long time, perhaps its Lidl, howver they are sold out, normally eather of their own brands are good quality.

let us know if you find any

I had the exact same problem, and its definitely the washer pump frozen. I too have just added some vinegar to my £1 ASDA screenwash! Jai'ho indeed!

Erm, maybe a stupid question, but does my car have heated washers???

I had the exact same problem, and its definitely the washer pump frozen. I too have just added some vinegar to my £1 ASDA screenwash! Jai'ho indeed!

it can take a bit to defrost in this weather it was so cold at one point mine still froze up a bit dont be temted to put warm water in to it most screenwash you get says 50/50 for winter but pure undiluted for severe ide say minus 11 was severe weather

mine was frozen also,i managed to defrost it with warm water

i went to add my screen wash and now it does not work

checked all the fuses and all are okay

there was a strange smell

have i knackered the pump

Hey DeeBe

My 1.6 focus 2004 has heated washer jets, not sure when they come on, not sure if they are wired up with the heated windows. Open the bonnet and look at the back of the jets I can see the wires on the back of the jets.

I had a look on line and found that the freezing point of vinegar is only -2 not sure how accurate this though, thinking of leaving a cap full of vinegar out side to see how soon it freezes.

Also I had a look in my Local Lidl and they are due to get screen wash that protechs down to -60. Hoping to have better weather or at least above freezing before then....

Hey DeeBe

My 1.6 focus 2004 has heated washer jets, not sure when they come on, not sure if they are wired up with the heated windows. Open the bonnet and look at the back of the jets I can see the wires on the back of the jets.

I had a look on line and found that the freezing point of vinegar is only -2 not sure how accurate this though, thinking of leaving a cap full of vinegar out side to see how soon it freezes.

Also I had a look in my Local Lidl and they are due to get screen wash that protechs down to -60. Hoping to have better weather or at least above freezing before then....

I have seen some plugs and wires on the underside of mine too, hmm. I will be keeping a lookout for that -60 screenwash! Sounds like a problem solver to me!

Cheers bud!

I have seen some plugs and wires on the underside of mine too, hmm. I will be keeping a lookout for that -60 screenwash! Sounds like a problem solver to me!

Cheers bud!

all i can say is mine hasnt frozen since even though its been colder weather the nozzles did slightly but the actaul motor was buzzing away thats with the vinegar and about 70/30 soloution ive heard of lidls stuff but never been able to get my hands on it aldi had some similar stuff and it went like they were giving away free golden eggs so it must be good stuff

I pulled of the washer bottle

sure enough the pump had burned out

and was half full of ice

new pump fitted and filled with screen wash

i will try the vinegar trick aswell

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club