21 replies to this topic

#16 DeeBe

DeeBe

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Ford Model: Peugeot 308 Sport/Peugeot 207 Sport

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

I had the exact same problem, and its definitely the washer pump frozen. I too have just added some vinegar to my 1 ASDA screenwash! Jai'ho indeed!

Erm, maybe a stupid question, but does my car have heated washers???

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

I had the exact same problem, and its definitely the washer pump frozen. I too have just added some vinegar to my 1 ASDA screenwash! Jai'ho indeed!

it can take a bit to defrost in this weather it was so cold at one point mine still froze up a bit dont be temted to put warm water in to it most screenwash you get says 50/50 for winter but pure undiluted for severe ide say minus 11 was severe weather

#18 Bazza

Bazza

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 zetec estate
Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

mine was frozen also,i managed to defrost it with warm water

i went to add my screen wash and now it does not work

checked all the fuses and all are okay

there was a strange smell

have i knackered the pump

#19 bt_cav

bt_cav

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 328 posts
  • Name: Brian
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2004

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

Hey DeeBe
My 1.6 focus 2004 has heated washer jets, not sure when they come on, not sure if they are wired up with the heated windows. Open the bonnet and look at the back of the jets I can see the wires on the back of the jets.

I had a look on line and found that the freezing point of vinegar is only -2 not sure how accurate this though, thinking of leaving a cap full of vinegar out side to see how soon it freezes.

Also I had a look in my Local Lidl and they are due to get screen wash that protechs down to -60. Hoping to have better weather or at least above freezing before then....

#20 DeeBe

DeeBe

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Ford Model: Peugeot 308 Sport/Peugeot 207 Sport

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hey DeeBe
My 1.6 focus 2004 has heated washer jets, not sure when they come on, not sure if they are wired up with the heated windows. Open the bonnet and look at the back of the jets I can see the wires on the back of the jets.

I had a look on line and found that the freezing point of vinegar is only -2 not sure how accurate this though, thinking of leaving a cap full of vinegar out side to see how soon it freezes.

Also I had a look in my Local Lidl and they are due to get screen wash that protechs down to -60. Hoping to have better weather or at least above freezing before then....

I have seen some plugs and wires on the underside of mine too, hmm. I will be keeping a lookout for that -60 screenwash! Sounds like a problem solver to me!

Cheers bud!

#21 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

I have seen some plugs and wires on the underside of mine too, hmm. I will be keeping a lookout for that -60 screenwash! Sounds like a problem solver to me!

Cheers bud!

all i can say is mine hasnt frozen since even though its been colder weather the nozzles did slightly but the actaul motor was buzzing away thats with the vinegar and about 70/30 soloution ive heard of lidls stuff but never been able to get my hands on it aldi had some similar stuff and it went like they were giving away free golden eggs so it must be good stuff

#22 Bazza

Bazza

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 zetec estate
Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

I pulled of the washer bottle

sure enough the pump had burned out

and was half full of ice

new pump fitted and filled with screen wash

i will try the vinegar trick aswell

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users