Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch and Brake to start?

grahamr

Hi All,

Just registered as I am looking for some help.

I took my 2014 Fiesta for its first MOT and 3rd year service yesterday and have got it back with two faults. I can't start the car unless I press both the clutch and brake at the same time and the Start/Stop no longer works (probably related). As soon as I got in the car I knew something was wrong. I went straight back into the dealer (Macklin Ford) and someone from the service department came out. He said he had never seen this before and they didn't do anything to cause it. I'm booked back in next week so they can look at it. All I know is that everything was fine before the service and now its not. I will be fighting them if they want me to pay for this. 

I don't know much about cars so have no idea what they have done. All I know is it passed the MOT first time and they did whatever is standard with a 3rd year service. 

Thanks for any info

Graham 

Somebody has been fumbling about somewhere to cause the fault, all garages will never admit they are at fault......give em' hell.

Go into vehicle settings on the dash computer, check they have not tuned on the hill start assist. Also what did they charge for your mot and 3rd year service? Have you got any paperwork to say what was carried out service wise?

I had my stop start stop working and it turned out to be the battery monitoring module.

So I've stuck my head down into the foot well and I can see some sort of cable hanging to the left of the clutch pedal. Its got two metal contacts on it and a cable at the other side disappearing into the car. I presume its not meant to be there. I can't see to see where it goes, but it looks broken. 

I have the receipt for the service, it says they have replaced oil, spark plugs, pollen filter, cabin filter and done a lot of checks.

Cable.jpg

• Like 1

on my fiesta if i turn the key and havn't pressed the clutch down it says on the radio display something like ' press clutch to start'. does yours do this ? even if you do press the clutch? (but not the brake). i am wondering if what is in the pic is the (broken) switch on the clutch pedal so that the electrics (for starting) know if you have pressed the clutch down or not

• Like 1

Pollen filter is just next to the area you described, so it is very likely they accidentally (or deliberately, but forgot to put it back) pulled out that cable while changing your filter. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 30/03/2017 at 3:50 PM, grahamr said:

So I've stuck my head down into the foot well and I can see some sort of cable hanging to the left of the clutch pedal. Its got two metal contacts on it and a cable at the other side disappearing into the car. I presume its not meant to be there. I can't see to see where it goes, but it looks broken. 

I have the receipt for the service, it says they have replaced oil, spark plugs, pollen filter, cabin filter and done a lot of checks.

Cable.jpg

Hi, 

did you find out where that cable connects to? I’ve just managed to bash it out while hoovering the car and it’s got the same symptoms as yours. Can’t for the life of me see where it slots in. 

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2017 at 3:50 PM, grahamr said:

Cable.jpg

Did you ever figured out where it clips into? Having same issue.

There is a switch attached to the clutch pedal, the hanging wire connector clips onto the switch.

This is how the car's systems knows you have depressed the clutch and will allow the engine to be started.

When disconnected you are prompted to press the brake instead. Disconnection also prevents the stop/start action.

You will probably need to detach the switch from the clutch pedal to refix the connector, or as is quite likely to  bind or stick it back together when you find that the plastic has been damaged!

• Thanks 1