Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Relock

Yetiman65

Well... Just got off the phone to Ford Customer service... They have reiterated what the dealer has already told me - No, your car does not have auto relock. No, it cannot be retro fitted. No, if your car gets stolen as a consequence of the ultra sensitive key and ridiculous range of the remote, combined with it then remaining unlocked, that's not our problem as your car is working as designed! I wonder whether the insurance would pay out if my car was stolen whilst unlocked...

Livid is not the word!

My wife's new Ecosport Titanium S which was ordered for delivery on 1st September is now delayed by over a month, but the dealer didn't tell us until we asked when we need to sign paperwork. 

Is it really any wonder why there are so many Kia and Hyundai models on the road?

@xn85, Did you ask them why it works on other Edge's sold in the UK since last June? Mine is a Sept 2016 build and it works on that. I can video it and post that if it helps! As for "can't be fitted" ... it's a bl**dy software feature of the Central Locking, Immobiliser and/or Body Control Module, they wouldn't have taken functionality out after months/years developing it and releasing it for production. At worst its a 'bit' that needs toggling in the ECU(s) configuration.

Video's showing Relock functionality on a Sept 2016 built (UK) Ford Edge Sport ...

Unlock (mirror unfold, ext lights on), then at 25 seconds the external lights go out, at 45 seconds car re-locks (indicator flashes, mirror folds).

• Like 1

Does anyone have access to a modified ELM327 USB-OBD dongle and Forscan? I'm sure it could be activated on there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

To my simplistic mind, auto relock is a software-controlled feature of the remote central locking system. The software is stored in a module somewhere on the car... I would assume that modules are pretty standard across a range of cars, with specific features enabled according to the specific model and trim level - pretty much like Windows on a PC.

It would appear that auto relock is only available on cars built after late August 2016 (Sync3), though other people have posted about having it enabled by having extra lines of code programed into the Body Control Module, or the BCM itself replaced.

On my previous car (Kuga) the Body Control Module failed, affecting the central locking, instrument warning lights, electronic speedo, etc (luckily the electronic boot opening worked so that I could get the dogs out, but having the speedo register 140mph @ 1000rpm WAS cool!). As  mine was a 2014 model (140bhp) and the Kuga had received a couple of model-year upgrades (150bhp engine, new dashboard and stereo) the BCM required was no longer available. Instead Ford fitted the latest part, which worked perfectly.

Surely Ford would not completely redesign the BCM for a mid-year minor update of the Edge (Sync3)? Therefore, even if the BCM fitted to my car did not have auto relock available, surely it could be replaced with the post-August 2016 part?

When speaking to Ford CRC, they told me that auto relock was not available to early builds of the Edge. I informed them that the owner’s handbook (November 2015) stated how to use auto relock and was told that the handbook states ‘correct at time of publication’. I then pointed out that the October 2016 publication repeats this. Their response was that the manual covers all models of Edge and that specifications vary. My response to this was that the 210bhp Sport was the (then) Edge flagship so should have higher specification than other models in the range.

Does anybody with detailed knowledge of the BCM know whether the part number changed during 2016? I am currently tempted to pay to have the BCM replaced if it would guarantee that my car is secure!  

@xn85, The 2015 model was in production for the US/Canadian market before launched in the UK and it was standard on those. I can't beleive for one minute that it wasn't a carry over feature to the UK from day 1! There are features we don't get like auto lock (when you put in drive and do more than 12 MPH and the door automatically lock and unlock when you put it in Park), but that is not a normal feature in the UK and I suspect its not fitted due to safety concerns, i.e. getting in/out after an accident!!. It is, without a doubt a software configuration. I'll dig out my Forscan and get a snapshot of the firmware versions in all the ECUs in my build. If someone can do that on early UK (sync2) builds, we can do that comparison on here.

@xn85, The 2015 model was in production for the US/Canadian market before launched in the UK and it was standard on those. I can't beleive for one minute that it wasn't a carry over feature to the UK from day 1! There are features we don't get like auto lock (when you put in drive and do more than 12 MPH and the door automatically lock and unlock when you put it in Park), but that is not a normal feature in the UK and I suspect its not fitted due to safety concerns, i.e. getting in/out after an accident!!. It is, without a doubt a software configuration. I'll dig out my Forscan and get a snapshot of the firmware versions in all the ECUs in my build. If someone can do that on early UK (sync2) builds, we can do that comparison on here.

I have a Mk5 Mondeo and this does not have auto lock on it, or does it? I used Forscan and changed one of the lines in the BCM and a line in the IPC module and now it does. As I have said in previous posts Auto Relock is a simple change to one of the lines in the BCM which I'd be happy to look out for you. Ford do not like altering these lines, some don't even know how! They use a more complicated system than Forscan but it works identically. So, I don't for one second think this cannot be enabled in less than 5 minutes - and that includes the time it takes to learn how to use Forscan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Mk4 Mondeo had auto relock! My Edge also has.