Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swapping APIMs to upgrade to Sync 1.1 - Doable?

barrierfreeman

Spent most the morning reading through old topics on here to get to this point, so hopefully I have the following right and some knowledgeable heads can help me confirm some stuff.

I just picked up a new to me 2013 Fiesta EcoBoost Titanium X, and have found out, like I many before me I guess, that I am locked to Sync 1.0. Which means no track info via bluetooth streaming....something I would quite like.

Am I right in thinking to rectify this I need to swap my current APIM (AM5T-14D212-ED) for a newer Sync 1.1 + Applink compatible APIM (D1BT-14D212-CC) and then get the latter programmed to my car and it's bluetooth track data party time? 

If I went to a Ford dealer and asked for the above, would they charge me a small fortune, or even not agree to do it? Would they program a APIM I supplied?

Is programming always needed? I guess the APIMs are not plug and play....or are they? The temptation to order a used one off eBay and just plonk it in and see what happens is relatively high. 

Sorry about all the questions for a first post, but this has been doing my nut in working out exactly what's what...Ford don't make it easy sometimes do they?

Edit: My current APIM is AM5T-14D544-EE. Which I guess means I need a different model APIM to replace? This is getting complicated now... :ohmy:

p.s Am I missing an edit button? As can't find one on my original post.

B2iaNeV.jpg

Hi James,

First things first, you should find the Edit button at the bottom of your post(s).

I'm afraid the help I can offer pretty much stops there but I am keen to learn more about module swapping/programming/etc and so will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Have you looked at Forscan? It, I believe, can programme modules but I'm not sure what it can currently do. My 2013 Fiesta Titanium (non-X) APIM is part number AM5T-14D212-ED which, given the car build date of Dec '13 is probably why it is more recent. If it helps I'd be happy to perform a backup of my APIM configuration to help you reprogramme any replacement by enabling you to compare what aspects need customising to suit your car.

Edit: You may have already seen this which states that AM5T are Sync 1.0 and D1BT are 1.1 so mine isn't (much) newer than your afterall!

25 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Edit: You may have already seen this which states that AM5T are Sync 1.0 and D1BT are 1.1 so mine isn't (much) newer than your afterall!

Yeah I tried to do this a few weeks ago but couldn't be bothered. While the track names would have been handy, I got sick of having to load up the music app every time i got in my car. Instead I copied all my music to an old iPod touch and just permanently keep it in my car via USB. That displays track names and can browse through playlists etc. Keeps my phone free for using internet radio (radio x, capital, 1xtra etc.)

7 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Hi James,

First things first, you should find the Edit button at the bottom of your post(s).

I'm afraid the help I can offer pretty much stops there but I am keen to learn more about module swapping/programming/etc and so will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Have you looked at Forscan? It, I believe, can programme modules but I'm not sure what it can currently do. My 2013 Fiesta Titanium (non-X) APIM is part number AM5T-14D212-ED which, given the car build date of Dec '13 is probably why it is more recent. If it helps I'd be happy to perform a backup of my APIM configuration to help you reprogramme any replacement by enabling you to compare what aspects need customising to suit your car.

Thanks for the reply. I have the feeling this may be a situation where the ends may not justify the means. But will see what Ford say in the week. I was hoping to have a concrete list of part numbers before speaking to them, so just need to find out whether any D1BT module can be used, and reprogrammed, or it has to be one with a corresponding sequence number (AM5T-14D212-ED to D1BT-14D212-CC etc). 

As an aside, my build date is 30.08.2013, so close to yours. Which makes me wonder why my APIM module has a different part number. Both are Sync 1.0, so either it does something more than just Sync, or slightly newer config? Odd.

7 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Yeah I tried to do this a few weeks ago but couldn't be bothered. While the track names would have been handy, I got sick of having to load up the music app every time i got in my car. Instead I copied all my music to an old iPod touch and just permanently keep it in my car via USB. That displays track names and can browse through playlists etc. Keeps my phone free for using internet radio (radio x, capital, 1xtra etc.)

Not sure what you mean by loading up the music app? With my iPhone, the Sync BT just picks up from whatever I was listening last, on the device and starts playing. So if I was listening to a podcast in the house, once I get in the car it just resumes from where I last paused/stopped it. 

...but you may be right it's probably a fools errand. Hopefully someone like @JW1982 can shed some light on the situation, as to whether it's going to be worth it. 

Edit: 

You're right, but the option vanishes after a while it seems.

AM5T-14D544-EE is not the part number of the APIM module. This is a software (package) version number. As far as I know this is the latest available software version for the SYNC 1.0 system. Based on the production date of the car it should have a APIM module with (most likely) part number AM5T-14D212-FD.

The APIM module of the SYNC 1.0 system can be replaced by a SYNC 1.1 APIM module without any problems. However you must be aware that the new APIM module must be configured correctly. The SYNC 1.1 APIM module has a different configuration from the SYNC 1.0 APIM module. Because of this when retrofitting the SYNC 1.1 APIM module to a SYNC 1.0 vehicle the AS-BUILT data of the vehicle can not be used to configure the new APIM module. The configuration settings stored in the AS-BUILT data are simply not compatible with the SYNC 1.1 APIM module. Next to this most different Ford models use the same type of SYNC 1.1 APIM module but all have different configuration parameters.

When changing the APIM module Ford dealers uses either the (backup) settings of the original APIM module or the AS-BUILT data to configure the new module. In this case this procedure will not work because of the different configuration.

The easiest/best way to configure the new SYNC 1.1 APIM module is by doing it manually using a suitible diagnostc system/software. For example this can be perfectly done with an ELM327 interface and the free Forscan software (you need an extended licence for this which can be obtained for free after registration on the Forscan forum).

A SYNC 1.1 APIM module from a Fiesta should in theory be plug and play. However I would personally at least check the configuration to be correct. An incorrect configuration can cause several (very) strange symptoms.

The configuration of your current SYNC 1.0 APIM module should look like this (configuration of similar 2013 SYNC 1.0 Fiesta):

7D0-01-01:     0250   9D88   0050

7D0-02-01:     044E  4C00   0078

7D0-02-02:     00DB

The configuration of a SYNC 1.1 APIM module should look like this (configuration of a 2014/2015 SYNC 1.1 Fiesta with APIM part number D1BT-14D212-CC or  D1BT-14D212-GA (based on multiple vehicles)):

7D0-01-01:     019F   88C0   03C4

7D0-01-02:     4000   001A

7D0-02-01:     044E   4C00   0078

7D0-03-01:     0000   0000   00DB

This should also be the correct configuration for your car

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

AM5T-14D544-EE is not the part number of the APIM module. This is a software (package) version number. As far as I know this is the latest available software version for the SYNC 1.0 system. Based on the production date of the car it should have a APIM module with (most likely) part number AM5T-14D212-FD.

The APIM module of the SYNC 1.0 system can be replaced by a SYNC 1.1 APIM module without any problems. However you must be aware that the new APIM module must be configured correctly. The SYNC 1.1 APIM module has a different configuration from the SYNC 1.0 APIM module. Because of this when retrofitting the SYNC 1.1 APIM module to a SYNC 1.0 vehicle the AS-BUILT data of the vehicle can not be used to configure the new APIM module. The configuration settings stored in the AS-BUILT data are simply not compatible with the SYNC 1.1 APIM module. Next to this most different Ford models use the same type of SYNC 1.1 APIM module but all have different configuration parameters.

When changing the APIM module Ford dealers uses either the (backup) settings of the original APIM module or the AS-BUILT data to configure the new module. In this case this procedure will not work because of the different configuration.

The easiest/best way to configure the new SYNC 1.1 APIM module is by doing it manually using a suitible diagnostc system/software. For example this can be perfectly done with an ELM327 interface and the free Forscan software (you need an extended licence for this which can be obtained for free after registration on the Forscan forum).

A SYNC 1.1 APIM module from a Fiesta should in theory be plug and play. However I would personally at least check the configuration to be correct. An incorrect configuration can cause several (very) strange symptoms.

The configuration of your current SYNC 1.0 APIM module should look like this (configuration of similar 2013 SYNC 1.0 Fiesta):

The configuration of a SYNC 1.1 APIM module should look like this (configuration of a 2014/2015 SYNC 1.1 Fiesta with APIM part number D1BT-14D212-CC or  D1BT-14D212-GA (based on multiple vehicles)):

Thanks a bunch @JW1982

In summary, if I can get a APIM module from a 2014+ Fiesta, with part number D1BT-14D212-CC, then I should be ok. Assuming the configs match up with what you list. These configs can be checked with an ELM327 interface and Forscan. 

Looks like I am going to need a friendly auto-tech guy to help me out, as I am a little bit out of my depth.

....and obviously I need to work out if the process is worth it just to have my wish of seeing track info displayed via bluetooth. As it seems if anything is configured wrong, one could have some odd side effects.

Thanks again for the info.

Upgrading from SYNC 1.0 to SYNC 1.1 can be done pretty cheap. A used SYNC 1.1 APIM module can be bought online for approximately €30,- including P&P. Reconfiguring is relatively easy.

In my opinion the upgrade from SYNC 1.0 to SYNC 1.1 is worth every penny. The SYNC 1.1 system has the ability to update the APIM module from a USB drive (update files can be downloaded from several Ford websites like Ford Australia, Ford India, etc.). The SYNC 1.0 system can only be updated by a Ford dealer which costs quite some money. Next to this the SYNC 1.0 system is officially no longer supported by Ford. No more new updates will be released for this system. The SYNC 1.1 system is currently still used in several Ford models and is still supported by Ford.

Officially Ford does not support upgrading from SYNC 1.0 to SYNC 1.1. In fact they say it is not even possible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, barrierfreeman said:

Not sure what you mean by loading up the music app? With my iPhone, the Sync BT just picks up from whatever I was listening last, on the device and starts playing. So if I was listening to a podcast in the house, once I get in the car it just resumes from where I last paused/stopped it.

Yeah my Galaxy s6 did it sometimes but not always, probably not helped by the fact I listen to YouTube, Spotify, Internet Radio, and the music app that comes with the phone. I just downloaded my spotify playlists, and play them as I said above. 

2 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Upgrading from SYNC 1.0 to SYNC 1.1 can be done pretty cheap. A used SYNC 1.1 APIM module can be bought online for approximately €30,- including P&P. Reconfiguring is relatively easy.

In my opinion the upgrade from SYNC 1.0 to SYNC 1.1 is worth every penny. The SYNC 1.1 system has the ability to update the APIM module from a USB drive (update files can be downloaded from several Ford websites like Ford Australia, Ford India, etc.). The SYNC 1.0 system can only be updated by a Ford dealer which costs quite some money. Next to this the SYNC 1.0 system is officially no longer supported by Ford. No more new updates will be released for this system. The SYNC 1.1 system is currently still used in several Ford models and is still supported by Ford.

Officially Ford does not support upgrading from SYNC 1.0 to SYNC 1.1. In fact they say it is not even possible.

I had a quick look online and cheapest I saw APIM module D1BT-14D212-CC for was £50. Which I don't mind really. It's just the expertise in everything else I am struggling with. Especially as it seems any Ford dealer will not help.

Shame you're not in the UK, mate. As would have offered to pay you to help :smile: Does anyone know who might be able to do so in the UK?

Edit: After a bit more digging, found a D1BT-14D212-GA version for £36 from a 2015 Fiesta. So raw materials, inc ELM 327, looks to be less than £50. Still have the expertise issue, as not sure I feel confident to do this as my first ever experience of OBD2 interfacing. But at least I kind of understand what is needed, and what needs to be done a bit more.

I have decided to put on my big boy pants and have a crack. 

After looking in Etis my current part number is AM5T-14D212-ED. I have sourced a 2015 Fiesta module with part number D1BT-14D212-ED. Working on the theory that this should allow me to just swap the modules. Incidentally, what do the last 2 letters in the part code mean? Assume there is a difference between -EE, -CC, -ED, -EB, -GA etc?

With that said, I have also ordered a ELM 327 to check configs beforehand. Not that I will know exactly what I am looking at in Forscan ;)

Just to hassle @JW1982 one last time, can I ask if it doesn't work, can I just plug my old module back in? Or could there be long term issues? Also, out of curiosity, what could some of the very strange symptoms of an incorrect config be?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing this exact thing using this topic as a reference. As it's not been updated since I thought I would provide some input.

I have a Ford fiesta 1.0L Titanium Econetic which had sync 1.0. The serial number on the old APIM was AM5T-14D544-CC. I then bought a sync 1.1 module on eBay with the number D1BT-14D212-EB.

I swapped them over, and it worked, completely plug and play. It did not work for about a minute though, but after switching the car off and on again it sort of updated itself and worked. The new module for some reason now has the number E1BT-14D212-EA, so i'm guessing its a newer update.

Hope this helps anyone else trying this. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 21/04/2017 at 6:27 PM, Housey5450 said:

I've been doing this exact thing using this topic as a reference. As it's not been updated since I thought I would provide some input.

I have a Ford fiesta 1.0L Titanium Econetic which had sync 1.0. The serial number on the old APIM was AM5T-14D544-CC. I then bought a sync 1.1 module on ebay with the number D1BT-14D212-EB.

I swapped them over, and it worked, completely plug and play. It did not work for about a minute though, but after switching the car off and on again it sort of updated itself and worked. The new module for some reason now has the number E1BT-14D212-EA, so i'm guessing its a newer update.

Hope this helps anyone else trying this. 

Hello,

looking at doing this also! Did your titanium fiesta have a Sony headunit with sat nav? Just wondering whether it will still work with don’t headunit and sat nav! 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Bwhitehead said:

Hello,

looking at doing this also! Did your titanium fiesta have a Sony headunit with sat nav? Just wondering whether it will still work with don’t headunit and sat nav! 

Thanks

As long as you have SYNC 1.0, then you can upgrade to 1.1 no matter what. This guide goes through everything you need as well as a detailed guide on how to carry out the upgrade.

If anyone needs an apim to do this I have 1 spare already programmed for a fiesta if anyone wants to make an offer

16 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

As long as you have SYNC 1.0, then you can upgrade to 1.1 no matter what. This guide goes through everything you need as well as a detailed guide on how to carry out the upgrade.

Brilliant so it should still be programmed to use the sat nav and not require anything else? And can be swapped with any D1BT-14D212-  irrelevant of the last two numbers? 

Thanks for your help! 

1 hour ago, Bwhitehead said:

Brilliant so it should still be programmed to use the sat nav and not require anything else? And can be swapped with any D1BT-14D212-  irrelevant of the last two numbers? 

Thanks for your help! 

As long as your module starts with AM5T and the new one is D1BT nothing else should change.

• 8 months later...
On 4/2/2017 at 7:57 AM, JW1982 said:

The configuration of a SYNC 1.1 APIM module should look like this (configuration of a 2014/2015 SYNC 1.1 Fiesta with APIM part number D1BT-14D212-CC or  D1BT-14D212-GA (based on multiple vehicles)😞

Adding extra info to this (these settings DO work on my module - installed for upgrade)

My part number is D1BT-14D212-NA donor vehicle was 2016 Fiesta Titanium X

Which had software version 5.9 installed

Line '7D0-02-01' had different values in the ASBUILT of this APIM (SEE BELOW) 

20190104_152015.thumb.jpg.6b77f5d0481409966cac774055aa505a.jpg

I've since learned that lines

7D0-02-02 00DB

&

7D0-03-01 0000 0000 00DB

are for emergency assist.

If they're configured as above and the vehicle lacks the gps hardware for emergency assist (not the nav gps!) you will get faults.

I found this extra info whilst looking for an explanation as to why my module was configured differently to the above instructions.

(As it was, mine module was plug and play....ish....had to select sync from the menu and the system re-initialised.)

I'm still none the wiser what 7D0-02-01 Is responsible for or what it means that mine is different. It seems to behaving itself though)

I noted that changing to the values that you posted was accepted without warnings.

When I changed it back to the original line however, Forscan warned me that the checksum would be incorrect, proceed? I said yes and everything is still fine.......what a mystery, any ideas?

What does that line of code control?

What is different due to that difference in code?

Why does Forscan think that the original factory coding in my APIM is incorrect/bad checksum? 

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2017 at 7:57 AM, JW1982 said:

The configuration of a SYNC 1.1 APIM module should look like this (configuration of a 2014/2015 SYNC 1.1 Fiesta with APIM part number D1BT-14D212-CC or  D1BT-14D212-GA (based on multiple vehicles)😞

My bluetooth module is D1BT-14D212-EB I have Ford Sat Nav and Emergency Assist, I have used the above Apim info, only issue I have is the voice command button doesn't work for some reason with that code 🔇 does anyone know what code needs to be changed to make it work on the steering control? Many thanks 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club