Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem with Fiesta Titanium

keely

Hi

Over the last week or so I have had this intermittent problem with my car, when I am increasing my speed and therefore going into a gear, usually second, the whole car seems to, for want of a better exspression, judder/rocks for a short time after the clutch is fully up now this is happening every time on my journey but not everytime I change gear. Also reverse is sometimes really tricky to engage! It's at the Ford garage now and they said the clutch is fine as is the gear box.

I'm a driving instructor and I lease my car so usually if the car needs work the lease company pay for it, Ford have said that they will ring the lease company tommorow to see whether they should replace the gear box/clutch with a new one or put the old one(s) back. The car is a Fiesta Titanium 1.4TDCi 09 plate, I have had it 6 months now.

Does anyone know what the problem could be, maybe have something to do with the reverse gear problem?

If they can't find the fault would I pay for labour?

P.S Ford took it for a test drive and the problem didn't occur!

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Keely

Hi

Over the last week or so I have had this intermittent problem with my car, when I am increasing my speed and therefore going into a gear, usually second, the whole car seems to, for want of a better exspression, judder/rocks for a short time after the clutch is fully up now this is happening every time on my journey but not everytime I change gear. Also reverse is sometimes really tricky to engage! It's at the Ford garage now and they said the clutch is fine as is the gear box.

I'm a driving instructor and I lease my car so usually if the car needs work the lease company pay for it, Ford have said that they will ring the lease company tommorow to see whether they should replace the gear box/clutch with a new one or put the old one(s) back. The car is a Fiesta Titanium 1.4TDCi 09 plate, I have had it 6 months now.

Does anyone know what the problem could be, maybe have something to do with the reverse gear problem?

If they can't find the fault would I pay for labour?

P.S Ford took it for a test drive and the problem didn't occur!

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Keely

Havent had any of these problems. But i suggest going with ford when they test drive it. I had a problem with my stereo and they tested it all out, didnt occur. So i suggested they came with me for 10 mins (only happened when it was driving) and it happened. They then did more tests turned out to be a heat problem.. Anyway, take them out in it and it'll probably happen.

I lease too...check your contract...all labour parts should be paid for by lease company.

Sounds like the clutch arm is getting stuck a little or clutch springs are not releasing properly....amazed they won't just try new clutch if they got it apart and try it.

Either that or there is a leak with hydraulics somewhere...but DEFO drive with them....I am going to see Ford this week and when I book in I will take tech out there and then to show them problems!!

TBH, easier for the techs then, I always liked it when customer arrived, showed me what they meant by fault then I knew exactly what to start with!

:)

Strange this... I had exactly the same problem and Ford couldn't find anything wrong... all I did was change from normal Tesco petrol to Shell and it's working fine... maybe try that?

oh yeah!! !Removed! hell, I forgot that Billoo...nice one!!!

not using crap fuel are you keely???

When I had my TDCI 1.4 i never went to supermarket...always Shell, get at least an extra 50miles per tank...I'm an instructor too, so thats in town extra 50miles!

Yeah I tend to use a mix of ASDA, Sainsburys ect... along with BP, Shell. I did think to myself maybe it could be a fuel problem? I'm calling them today, will find out what's happening. Thanks for all your help and I will keep you posted.

Hi

Sorry for the late reply! I called Ford on the second day of them having my car and they said that they have replaced the clutch! I asked them if the clutch was the problem and they said yes! :huh: Anyway got my car back and no signs of the problem as mentioned in my first post. :)

Thanks again for all your input, it's much appreciated!

Keely

Interesting as I've noticed some juddering which I put down to the car needing a few more revs than I was expecting when changing up or when crawling along in slow traffic. Will keep an eye on it. Only done 200 miles so far so hard to quantify.

Interesting as I've noticed some juddering which I put down to the car needing a few more revs than I was expecting when changing up or when crawling along in slow traffic. Will keep an eye on it. Only done 200 miles so far so hard to quantify.

I've had similar bits with mine, mines a 1.4 Petrol. Not often though, and i've normally put it down to me being in a lazy driving mood if anything.

Maybe it's something to keep an eye out for though.

Cheers

Hi everyone once again,

I hope I am not imagining this but I swear the "juddering" is there again! After the clutch was replaced, for several days now my car has been lovely to drive no juddering sensations ect.... so I am a little perplexed :huh: will keep an eye on this problem.

I must admit my car did have an odd moment the other day. I rolled back off by drive (it's pretty steep so no need for throttle) and then when I tried to pull off in first the car laboured a lot and then eventually pulled away juddering for about 5 seconds with seriously limited power. As it only happened once and the engine was cold I'm going to put it down to being a one off, saying that it never happened in my mk6 and my cars now only 7 weeks old.

have you tried some good fuel??

seriously keely, it aint worth going cheap, I get a good 50miles more per tank with Shell than the supermarkets, and like you will be doing many town miles, so it is worth it!

:)

but if it is clutch related I have a feeling it maybe the dual mass flywheels they use now...mmmm

have you tried some good fuel??

seriously keely, it aint worth going cheap, I get a good 50miles more per tank with Shell than the supermarkets, and like you will be doing many town miles, so it is worth it!

How?! I don't doubt what you are saying, many others have said the same thing, but i've never got how it does make a difference... :)

How?! I don't doubt what you are saying, many others have said the same thing, but i've never got how it does make a difference... :)

its like Man Utd buying a cheap footballer...he still plays football but don't quite run as far as an expensive footballer....

or cheap beer....its still beer but don't quite get you so drunk!! :lol:

its like Man Utd buying a cheap footballer...he still plays football but don't quite run as far as an expensive footballer....

or cheap beer....its still beer but don't quite get you so drunk!! :lol:

Thank you for your words of wisdom! To further your metaphor, there tends to be more cheap footballers around these days, the more expensive ones seem to be out of town and not on the way to anything whereas the cheap footballers are more common and expensive footballers don't give you nectar points!!!

you get Shells club, similar to nectar points, gives money off fuel...what i use :)

This i did not know about! hmm, enquiring ahoy! Cheers matey :)

Hi everyone once again,

I hope I am not imagining this but I swear the "juddering" is there again! After the clutch was replaced, for several days now my car has been lovely to drive no juddering sensations ect.... so I am a little perplexed :huh: will keep an eye on this problem.

tbh i'm a bit surprised that they replaced your clutch in the fist place. Are you sure it's not just the way you drive Keely? Maybe its just the normal characteristics of a clutch? ESP tends to cut in sometimes when pulling away maybe its that? Also there will be a slight judder when the car goes from engine braking to acceleration and vice-versa if that makes sense? How bad is this problem?

tbh i'm a bit surprised that they replaced your clutch in the fist place. Are you sure it's not just the way you drive Keely? Maybe its just the normal characteristics of a clutch? ESP tends to cut in sometimes when pulling away maybe its that? Also there will be a slight judder when the car goes from engine braking to acceleration and vice-versa if that makes sense? How bad is this problem?

she is a driving instructor Jonny....think she can drive! :lol:

she is a driving instructor Jonny....think she can drive! :lol:

I'm not a driving instructor Piggy....think I can drive! :lol:

Would still like answers to the above. Also, does this still happen, no matter how you drive the car Keely?

I'm not a driving instructor Piggy....think I can drive! :lol:

Would still like answers to the above. Also, does this still happen, no matter how you drive the car Keely?

Keely, feel free to be offended!

Do you guys here realise that as driving instructors, 50% of our training is driving...not the teaching!! and we have to take an advanced driving test!

Keely, feel free to be offended!

Do you guys here realise that as driving instructors, 50% of our training is driving...not the teaching!! and we have to take an advanced driving test!

I asked Keely some perfectly reasonable questions Piggy.

TBH I think that you're a bit full of yourself Piggy, just because you are some ex-mechanic with some limited experience of being a driving instructor, it does not mean that you are the be all and end all when it comes to everything to do with either driving or maintaining cars.

The OP states that one of the symptoms was difficulty engaging reverse, this is due to there not being syncromesh on the reverse gear! IE: it has nothing to do with the clutch, nothing to do with being a driving instructor, nothing to do with you being a driving instructor, nothing to do with 'advanced driving tests'

I am still suprised that she has actually had a clutch changed on a driving school car for free, when it wasn't even the cause of this 'problem'

I have merely asked questions in order to get a better picture of the problem

In all honesty Piggy you seem to create more confusion and controversy than you solve. The fact that as a driving instructor you freely admit to making handbrake turns and using a mobile phone whilst driving, and as a mechanic you thought that WD-40 was made out of water shows that you're pretty poor at both of your trades. Seems to me that most of your posts are just plain argument.

as you say though...reverse gear is a common thing....just a red herring....

an argument is made of two people! he he :lol:

as you say though...reverse gear is a common thing....just a red herring....

an argument is made of two people! he he :lol:

Blimey Piggy wake up mate! Thats why I asked the questions in the first place - to clarify the issue! To find out what the 'real' problems are and what causes them to happen.

What Keely thought was a problem with the reverse gear is just how the car normally functions. So it's quite possible that what Keely thinks is 'juddering' is just how the car normally functions too.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club