67 replies to this topic

#1 wealdman

wealdman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 Ti VCT Titanium
Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

Never before in 50 years of driving have I been so embarrassed by a tiny smidgeon of slushy ice as today. At the top of a gentle incline I paused to join a main road (for those who know Tunbridge Wells, the junction of Montacute Road with Frant Road), went to drive away and couldn't. Wheels spun a bit, traction control instantly cut power and I was going nowhere! Gentle with clutch, gentle with gas – nothing helped. Fortunately the driver in the queue behind had left a little space so after an agonising minute (which felt like ages) I could roll back, go forward again sawing steering left and right and just barely make an undignified escape.

If I'd had a Zetec S instead of a Titanium I could have switched traction control off but would it have helped?

Does anyone have experience of getting a Ford dealer to fit the “off” switch to a Titanium?

Do Fiesta buyers in continental Europe get traction control with an “off” switch?

Other vehicles in the queue ahead had taken off with no obvious problem. I must say I'm very disappointed by the Fiesta's lack of grip. :angry:

Any thoughts and experiences?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 dannymk7

dannymk7

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk7 zetec s

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

Never before in 50 years of driving have I been so embarrassed by a tiny smidgeon of slushy ice as today. At the top of a gentle incline I paused to join a main road (for those who know Tunbridge Wells, the junction of Montacute Road with Frant Road), went to drive away and couldn't. Wheels spun a bit, traction control instantly cut power and I was going nowhere! Gentle with clutch, gentle with gas – nothing helped. Fortunately the driver in the queue behind had left a little space so after an agonising minute (which felt like ages) I could roll back, go forward again sawing steering left and right and just barely make an undignified escape.

If I'd had a Zetec S instead of a Titanium I could have switched traction control off but would it have helped?

Does anyone have experience of getting a Ford dealer to fit the “off” switch to a Titanium?

Do Fiesta buyers in continental Europe get traction control with an “off” switch?

Other vehicles in the queue ahead had taken off with no obvious problem. I must say I'm very disappointed by the Fiesta's lack of grip. :angry:

Any thoughts and experiences?

swiching it off i think would not of helpd in the new fiesta i have a zetec s
it is really bad in the snow or ice!
soo are the breaks one little tiny bit off ice its stupid
really have 2 drive carefull in the snow and ice in the new fiesta
but in norml weather it is a lovely car to drive do you agree?

#3 bigjock

bigjock

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Name: BigJock
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Fiesta Titanium, Nissan Juke Tekna
  • Year: 2008

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

i had a very similar incident as you trying to reverse up my flat driveway only i was driving my sri zafira! took me ages and i could see the neighbours looking at me failing thankfully i have an off button, soon as i press it off i went! lol

#4 Hook

Hook

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec
Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

swiching it off i think would not of helpd in the new fiesta i have a zetec s
it is really bad in the snow or ice!
soo are the breaks one little tiny bit off ice its stupid
really have 2 drive carefull in the snow and ice in the new fiesta
but in norml weather it is a lovely car to drive do you agree?

Having the ability to switch traction control in snowy weather is almost essential imo. If the traction control cuts off spinning wheels, then you're less likely to get grip and therefore less likely to go anywhere.

I've only got a Zetec so I don't have the traction control, but I live on a pretty steep hill that the council don't grip, I had no problem getting up there today but many other cars was struggling. A poor zafira had to give up and go back down because he had spun around. My wheels were spinning, but that gave me some traction and I got up there. If I'd had the traction control I don't think I would have gone anywhere quick!

#5 Steven Dark

Steven Dark

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.4 Sea Grey

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

I havent had any problems at all and i have a few hill starts everyday. I have been sitting there wheel spinning for a while but the traction control never cuts the power.

#6 bILLOO

bILLOO

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk.7 Zetec-S 1.6 Ti-VCT
Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

Have turned it off on the Zetec-S going up the road here, it keeps on trying to brake in the ice.

#7 InstructorPiggy

InstructorPiggy

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 TDCI ZS

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

ABS n ESP or any sort of traction control just aint designed for ice/snow, the systems get rather confused as to why what they are doing isn't working!! Think I said before I have known them just to crash and do nothing! Lol!

ESP on the fiesta is also a very basic system, as pointed out, it just cuts the power...pretty useless in all situations if you ask me...but especially in snow/ice as pointed out...

I think there should be switches for the ESP and ABS...the old quattro used to...very handy in such weather....

Glad most got home safe though :) apart from that newbie who stopped using a lamppost :o

#8 dannymk7

dannymk7

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk7 zetec s

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

ABS n ESP or any sort of traction control just aint designed for ice/snow, the systems get rather confused as to why what they are doing isn't working!! Think I said before I have known them just to crash and do nothing! Lol!

ESP on the fiesta is also a very basic system, as pointed out, it just cuts the power...pretty useless in all situations if you ask me...but especially in snow/ice as pointed out...

I think there should be switches for the ESP and ABS...the old quattro used to...very handy in such weather....

Glad most got home safe though :) apart from that newbie who stopped using a lamppost :o

Ooo not the best thing to use ro stop your car haha!

#9 Steven Dark

Steven Dark

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.4 Sea Grey

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

Mine doesnt cut the power, i think its broken to be honest.

But i agree there should be a switch in all models, would be much better.

The newbie, poor guy and his MK8 lol. I really should have got one instead of my mk7 :P Maybe he was playing with the hand break?

#10 InstructorPiggy

InstructorPiggy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

The newbie, poor guy and his MK8 lol. I really should have got one instead of my mk7 :P Maybe he was playing with the hand break?

irony there, no?!? :lol:

#11 MarkyR

MarkyR

• PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Mk7 Zetec S

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

IMO after today it's crap. Had to go down a snowy icy incline to get into work and I was very gentle but had to use the brakes and when I did it was like a pneumatic drill going through the peddle!!! I guess that was the ol ABS and ESP trying to 'do it's job'
I will also remember about switching the ESP off tomorrow if I need to.

Does anyone know the best tyre pressures for the ZetecS and 17" Ford wheels in the snow and ice? Should it be the standard pressure or the heavy load pressure?

By the way, on a side note, these launch control systems that are in for instance the Nissan GTR, they are NOT for launch control from a standing start flooring it but are apparently to help you in the snow, build the revs up and the systems supposed to increase your grip in the snow.

#12 ASHMAN

ASHMAN

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 ford fiesta zetec s

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:26 PM

Have turned it off on the Zetec-S going up the road here, it keeps on trying to brake in the ice.

My esp didnt work for the first 12 months. It was found out at the first service. My car is just the same as the guy in the first post with esp on, works better in snow when switched off for me.

#13 harweyko

harweyko

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 1.6l Ti-VCT

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

Just a silly question, how many of you have real winter tires on your FoFi`s and not stock summer tires?

#14 InstructorPiggy

InstructorPiggy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

Just a silly question, how many of you have real winter tires on your FoFi`s and not stock summer tires?

more the question...whats the point...we just wimps to be honest...not much need here...be over in a week and be changing tyres again...see the need in Slovaki, Poland, Sweden etc, but just no need here.

:)

#15 MarkyR

MarkyR

• PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Mk7 Zetec S

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Does anyone know the best tyre pressures for the ZetecS and 17" Ford wheels in the snow and ice? Should it be the standard pressure or the heavy load pressure?

Anyone?? :( :(

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users