Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 17" Alloys

MColeman

So i'm running a fiesta zetec 1.25 and it currently has standard 15" alloys which i'm not a fan of, was just wondering what 17" alloys there is, preferably black but if not i can get them powder coated. 

What colour is your car?

I was in the same situation you are a few weeks ago. I picked up some silver zetec s alloys for £300. 2 tyres need doing -£140 and I was going to get them powder coated black for £40 a wheel.

Hi, what is the advantage of 17 Inch wheels? Thank you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Titanium said:

most people just want them to enhance the vehicles apperance.

but overall the bigger rim results in a smaller side wall of tyre which results in better handling on corners because theres less bulging of tyre which is the cause of wabble.

bigger rims are also more stable at high speed which again is down to the smaller side wall on the tyres.

The negative side of fitting bigger rims is the cost of replacing tyres increases, multiplying that increase by four and it can be a significant figure.

also bigger rims are heavier which contributes to the "unsprung mass" of the vehicle, this reduces driving performance at low RPM and also affects the fuel economy much the same as fitting bigger brake discs or any part which requires turning to get the vehicle moving. As the lighter these parts are; the faster they can be rotated with the least amount of effort resulting in easier revolutions.

The final factor then is excessive tyre wear on the inside walls, 

This can be over come or prevented by have the tracking alignment corrected after either fitting bigger rims or lowering the vehicle it is strongly recommended to have the tracking alignment corrected to optimize road contact and prevent excessive wear of the tyres which will cost you more money sooner than should be required.

• Like 2

Many thanks for being so informative,much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

What colour is your car?

I was in the same situation you are a few weeks ago. I picked up some silver zetec s alloys for £300. 2 tyres need doing -£140 and I was going to get them powder coated black for £40 a wheel.

Colour is white, it just looks super standard at the moment, changing the appearance to make it look different

8 hours ago, MColeman said:

Colour is white, it just looks super standard at the moment, changing the appearance to make it look different

As I say, I am taking mine in to get powder coated black tomorrow. Should be ready for the weekend so I'll post some pics

• Like 2

You will also get a harder ride and feel the bumps in the road more. If you have really bad roads by you then the wheels could end up like a 20p lol. I love the appearance of bigger wheels, had 19s on my TT but the ride is so unforgiving, I now have 16s on my Mondeo and Fiesta purely for comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 03/04/2017 at 9:15 PM, Luke4efc said:

As I say, I am taking mine in to get powder coated black tomorrow. Should be ready for the weekend so I'll post some pics

Looking at ordering some 17" will keep posted

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MColeman said:

Looking at ordering some 17" will keep posted

Nice! Just remember that if you are fitting wider wheels (like I am) then you will need some steering rack limiters so that they don't rub on the wheel arches when you go full lock. People have said that they haven't fitted them and have been fine, but I'm not running the risk considering they are like £10 off eBay and take less than 10 mins to fit.

I wouldn't say they're dodgy either, the zetec s and the st etc. have them fitted from factory.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Nice! Just remember that if you are fitting wider wheels (like I am) then you will need some steering rack limiters so that they don't rub on the wheel arches when you go full lock. People have said that they haven't fitted them and have been fine, but I'm not running the risk considering they are like £10 off ebay and take less than 10 mins to fit.

I wouldn't say they're dodgy either, the zetec s and the st etc. have them fitted from factory.

I have them fitted in the focus aswell, mainly required after lowering springs are also fitted.

3 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Nice! Just remember that if you are fitting wider wheels (like I am) then you will need some steering rack limiters so that they don't rub on the wheel arches when you go full lock. People have said that they haven't fitted them and have been fine, but I'm not running the risk considering they are like £10 off ebay and take less than 10 mins to fit.

Okay Luke thanks for letting me know I'll definatly check it out

• Like 1

I love the Team Dynamic Pro Race 3 alloys. I want them for my car and might get them eventually. 

• Like 1

Bigger wheels on a 1.25 will alter the speedo reading ? Think about that!

56 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Bigger wheels on a 1.25 will alter the speedo reading ? Think about that!

You get thinner tyres to compensate. I've gone from 185/65/r15 to 205/40/r17

7 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

You get thinner tyres to compensate. I've gone from 185/65/r15 to 205/40/r17

Pretty sure the speedo reading will different,  Can't remember now if it would show a slower or faster reading, think its faster ?

It's the same with worn but legal tyres! New tyres will give an accurate reading, but a worn tyre the reading will be faster, eg' speedo reads 30mph but could be 28mph.

3 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

Pretty sure the speedo reading will different,  Can't remember now if it would show a slower or faster reading, think its faster ?

It's the same with worn but legal tyres! New tyres will give an accurate reading, but a worn tyre the reading will be faster, eg' speedo reads 30mph but could be 28mph.

I remember hearing that somewhere. I used an online calculator and it came out as somthing like a 0.05% difference. My current tyres are 195/55/r15. Don't know where I got the other size from.

If you use ForScan you can change the tyre setting to keep your speedo accurate

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club