Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic car, flashing P on dashboard

Nicolas33

Hi,

Got a new car over the weekend.

1.6 automatic focus Titanium from 2010.

I bought an automatic for the first time after ten year being a driver  as find it more convenient for long drive after long hours of surfing as i have a bad knee.

Anyway, on the trip information bit in the dashboard, there is a second to show what gear i am in.. sometimes it works ( show P R N or D) and sometimes it get stuck on a flashing P. The car is on drive or reverse and works perfectly fine, but the dashboard show a flashing P ..

It doesn't do it all the time as sometimes show the good gear and sometimes not.

I bought the car in a dealer an hour away, so was wondering if anyone knows what this could be?

Thanks

Hi Nico, I've got the exact same problem. I had an auto electrician look at it and he said it might be the switch, or the selector (?) He never came back with prices (he was a bit of a WOFT generally actually...) so, as I'd got warrantee, I just kept a watching brief. I've had the car a year now and had no ill effects. It seems worse in damp weather so if I knew where to spray I'd get some switch cleaner. It's supposed to flash when you squeeze the lock-switch in 'P', if it doesn't it'll flash when you move the gearstick. (That's how mine is anyway)

I've become a bit anal about it, often refusing to drive away until I can get it to show 'D' or 'R' before moving off - just working the lock-switch alone is often enough - but, as I say, no ill effects if I let it flash. Sometimes it sorts itself out, sometimes it starts flashing (again) en route.

From what I've read on here, the torque converter box (technically 3 speed + overdrive) fitted to this age of Focus is quite old and has been strengthened, modified and adapted over the years. The result is an unsophisticated but reliable auto married to a similar engine! I love mine

I hope I've reassured you, you have me! "We are not alone..."

Good luck

• Like 3

If I have a flashing P in the future on my Focus I will remember this advice.

Thanks,

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 1:39 PM, trailertrash said:

It's supposed to flash when you squeeze the lock-switch in 'P', if it doesn't it'll flash when you move the gearstick. (That's how mine is anyway)

Hi,

Thank you for your message, you have reassured me a lot.

I was scared I made a bad purchase, as I really liked the car but thought that the gear gearstick was already broken or something.

After your message I've been more careful on looking on the problem, and you are right, When I am I P and squeeze the lock switch, the P is flashing. If I do this and then move, it show the good gear on the screen, If I go too fast and do not wait for the flashing P, then it keeps flashing all the time.

I am not sure if the dealer where I bought the car will know how to fix it, or if it need to be fixed. I have a 6 months warranty so I will check if something can be done and will post here if I hear more.

But definitely glad that I am not the only one.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I don't suppose anyone else has had this problem... Mine's just started doing it and i can't find anything about it.