Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing Additional Cigarette Lighter

jeebowhite

I am now thinking about installing a second cigarette lighter, I am not sure how to do it though, has anyone ever seen / done a step by step on how to install it on a focus?

I am not sure wether I am going to affix it to a panel and drill a hole, or if its going to be completely hidden. if I leave it "dangling" behind the stereo or say, underneath the centre console, is there anything specific I would have to consider?

to be honest I am willing to learn but dont know much about this, so if anyone can make it as idiot proof as possible, that will certainly help!

I am more confused by actually connecting it to the fuse box (I think fuse #77 is a spare 10amp for the boot 12v outlet?!) and then If I have to connect it to the battery, or run it through a seperate source.

J

The reason I ask is because I have another thread here asking a question about the 12v, and how I want to use extensions, If I run it off the same one, do you think it would be suitable for the information in this thread http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=9155 or do you think I am better doing a fresh wiring?

The reason I ask is because I have another thread here asking a question about the 12v, and how I want to use extensions, If I run it off the same one, do you think it would be suitable for the information in this thread http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=9155 or do you think I am better doing a fresh wiring?

IMHO

The existing wiring should be absolutely fine, but consider changing the fuse to a higher capacity so it doesnt blow when you have all things plugged in. Each individual plug should have its own fuse in it anyway so your gear is safe.

EDIT:

You say you need a cigarette lighter, but I suspect you may just want the power socket, if this is the case consider this much less hassle and easily removable, also you could fix it to the dash somewhere and make it look pro, just a thought...

IMHO

The existing wiring should be absolutely fine, but consider changing the fuse to a higher capacity so it doesnt blow when you have all things plugged in. Each individual plug should have its own fuse in it anyway so your gear is safe.

EDIT:

You say you need a cigarette lighter, but I suspect you may just want the power socket, if this is the case consider this much less hassle and easily removable, also you could fix it to the dash somewhere and make it look pro, just a thought...

Yeah it is the power I am after, and that would be a good idea, but when I have it finished it will be tucked under the dash / centre console so the switches wont be any use to me.

So If I was to wire it into the current one, what would I have to do? just a bit of solder, an extra couple of cables? slide the wiring under the center console and cup holders, upgrade the 15amp fuse to maybe a 20? and then wherever from there? or is there much more to it?

Thanks for the advice guys, I can take PC's apart and laptops, and I can be fairly brave with them, but cars are rather scary, but I want to be able to do these things confidently.

IMHO

even if his gear is safe, think about the cars wiring. uprating any fuse is suicide unless you know the exact rating of the cable connected to it etc.

I seriously do not recommend just putting a bigger fuse in, if its a 15a fuse in the box, its a 15a fuse for a reason!! also ford wouldnt go fitting more expensive 20 amp cable if they could get away with cheaper 15a stuff.

personally, i would run the socket from a spare way in the fuse box.

even if his gear is safe, think about the cars wiring. uprating any fuse is suicide unless you know the exact rating of the cable connected to it etc.

I seriously do not recommend just putting a bigger fuse in, if its a 15a fuse in the box, its a 15a fuse for a reason!! also ford wouldnt go fitting more expensive 20 amp cable if they could get away with cheaper 15a stuff.

personally, i would run the socket from a spare way in the fuse box.

to be honest its a lot to go through for some aditional leds etc if you really want to you need to go from the fuse box or buy a small fuse box one that you can wire to the battery and fit wherever you want ive seen them used for installs other than that a simple switchable multi socket would be ideal

Thanks Guys, I might think this one through before I try anything, the only reason I am not using a switching one, is because I have the extension hidden underneath the trimmings behind the stereo!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club