Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Towbar electrics

xn85

48 minutes ago, xn85 said:

On another point, should the car auto-relock? I find that if I have the car keys in my pocket, I often accidentally unlock my car whilst sat at my desk (I'm lazy - I park right outside!). I've noticed it unlocked on a few occasions now when I've returned to my car and have just tried unlocking my car to see whether it relocked again. After 2 minutes it still hadn't relocked...

It's booked in at the dealers Thursday to look at the software on the towbar (they seem to think my tailgate only opening half way is linked to my towbar electrics) and I seem to be developing a list...

I'd asked the same question on another post about the "auto-relock". The car manual clearly covers "auto-relock" (so I assume my car does actually have this feature) which should happen after 45 seconds if you've unlocked the car with the remote either inadvertently (as in your case) or you just happen to have unlocked the car but then don't open any of the doors. Like your Edge my "auto-relock" doesn't work after 45 seconds, 2 minutes or even 10 minutes so I'm booked into my dealer next week assuming it is a soft ware glitch or something PS my Edge also has Sync 2 but I don't have a tow bar so can't comment on the towing settings on Sync 2.

At present my list only has the above item on it & the message below on Ford ETIS for my car which I want them to check although the dealership have advised there are no current official Ford recall notices on my car VIN:

Outstanding Field service Actions "16B36 - EDGE SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAGS"

Thanks Jon. It sounds like we might have a similar problem...

BTW Does your reg end in XY?

13 minutes ago, xn85 said:

Thanks Jon. It sounds like we might have a similar problem...

BTW Does your reg end in XY?

No - I have a private reg ending in "OF"........haha the reg isn't as bad as that probably looks like it could be :cool:

PS I'll let you know what Evans Halshaw (Preston) have to say after next Wednesday

8 hours ago, xn85 said:

Hmmm... Very interesting! Many thanks for the photos and video Jim.

I connected my car to the caravan yesterday and do not get any of the features Jim has shown. My parking sensors are still operational, too. This leads me to wonder whether the issue is with dealer fit towbars (rather than factory fit ones), or with Sync2. I notice that Jim's photos show Sync3. Has anybody got a dealer fit towbar that has the same displays as Jim has? If so, do you have Sync2 or 3?

On another point, should the car auto-relock? I find that if I have the car keys in my pocket, I often accidentally unlock my car whilst sat at my desk (I'm lazy - I park right outside!). I've noticed it unlocked on a few occasions now when I've returned to my car and have just tried unlocking my car to see whether it relocked again. After 2 minutes it still hadn't relocked...

It's booked in at the dealers Thursday to look at the software on the towbar (they seem to think my tailgate only opening half way is linked to my towbar electrics) and I seem to be developing a list...

It appears I have exactly the same situation as you, I also have sync 2 so unsure if it's the sync system or how my car has been programmed. I have a non ford towbar system. My towbar fitter is coming back to reprogram my car next week now he has a new software version available from westfalia.

also my car does not auto lock.

Have you got the auto relock option activated in the menu? I'm sure it is an option you can control with the buttons on the wheel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Have you got the auto relock option activated in the menu? I'm sure it is an option you can control with the buttons on the wheel

Having looked at the manual again, and having been out to my car and checked, I can't find any option to enable auto re-locking. There is auto unlock (any suggestions what this is?), mislock unlocking (I think this might be where you try to lock the car with a door not properly closed. But unlocking? Huh?) and switches inhibit (can't see this in the manual and have no idea what this does...)

How can such an expensive car have such a rubbish manual? And is there any cheaper paper they could have used?

Dave, I have also checked. Both the manual that came with the car & yes written on toilet paper & the online versions for the 2016 model Edge i.e. Sync 2 cover all sorts of various "information message" options which they appear to say "Note: depending on your vehicle options and instrument cluster type not all of the messages will display or be available" - a cover all disclaimer!

So under "Vehicle" & "Locks" in the "Information Display" section it appears (from the manuals etc) you should be able to scroll through Autolock, Autounlock, Relock, Mislock, Remote Unlock & Switches Inhibit but like you I can only see Autounlock (which I believe you either select drivers door only or all doors when you press the remote?), Mislock (which you can select to have on or off & is as you describe) & Switches Inhibit (which again you can switch on or off & I think is to do with when you electronically lock the vehicle the power door lock switch will no longer operate after 20seconds - unless you decide to turn off?) - see Door Lock Switch Inhibitor (page 39 of the manual?)

"Automatic Relocking" is mentioned on page 40 of the manual under Locks but makes no reference to turning this on or off via the information display & like you there is no "Relock" on my information display. Is Automatic Relocking the same as Relock anyway???

The manuals I refer to are for Sync 2 so it would be strange if it was a Sync 3 v Sync 2 issue BUT it does appear all Sync 3 cars have Auto Relock from other comments on here (& they have a digital speedo 😎) and the Sync 2 gang don't, well on the Edge anyway?

So mine goes back into the dealer next week just in case their magic computer can do anything but I expect them to keep it for a day, scratch their heads & just say "the man (or woman) from Ford will know but he (or she) don't work here" 😝

OK having now actually looked at my Edge's car information display this morning I have a correction to my essay above: I only have the options of selecting "Auto Unlock" (like you Dave I now haven't a clue what that is but it is not "Auto Relock" which is what we are looking for), "Mislock" (description as above I think), "Unlocking" (which is where I can select either driver door only or all 4 doors when unlocking the car) & "Switches Inhibit" (which I still think is as described above).

Clutching at straws now...

The latest suggestion from my dealer... they think the auto relock issue might only effect Sync2 cars. Has anyone got a car with Sync2 that automatically relocks if you don't open a door within 45 seconds of unlocking the car?

The same for the dealer fit towbar electrics. Does anyone have an Edge with Sync2 where the towing electrics work properly?

I have a MK5 mondeo with sync2 and it does auto relock after about 45-60s if I don't open a door. The mirrors don't go back in but it does lock.

Auto unlock, I believe is if the doors are locked whilst driving (either by automatic locking or manually locking) they unlock when the ignition is turned off.

Switch inhibit is as you describe @Yetiman65 and I struggled to think why this would be needed. I certainly wouldn't be leaving a child in the car who may unlock the doors and wander off, then it struck me that with this feature enabled you could leave your windows down, say on your drive, and burglar Bill couldn't reach in and unlock your doors.

So my towbar man came to reprogram the edge today, I have sync 2 and can confirm that I get a message to say trailer connected and disconnected, also I get the little trailer icon when in reverse and when an indicator malfunction I get a message and the indicator goes at double the speed.

my car now auto relics too after 45 seconds which it wasn't doing when the towbar first went on, I have a non genuine ford towbar installed by my local mobile guy but it has the dedicated electrics and functions as if it were a factory fit one. It only cost £520 as well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lee, how did you get the auto relock working? Thanks, Jon

25 minutes ago, Yetiman65 said:

Lee, how did you get the auto relock working? Thanks, Jon

It only seems to have started working since my towbar has been correctly coded today, I haven't altered any settings on the car.

Lee,

So glad that you've got it all working! Mine's in for reprogram next week so fingers crossed!

Hopefully it will also sort out my auto tailgate which thinks it's ok to only open half way...

Dave

I'd imagine it must be software related, fingers crossed your's gets fixed next week.

Just an update on mine as the Edge spent a day at the dealership yesterday, they managed to complete 0 out of the 3 (minor) jobs it went in for so it goes back in next month.

Auto Relock: They couldn't get it to work so have referred it to Ford Technical for further advice.

Side Airbags: This is noted on Etis for my vehicle as an Outstanding Field service Actions "16B36 - EDGE SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAGS" - they hadn't ordered the replacement air bags but have now ordered

Wind Noise for Driver's Door: After some road testing & strategically placed masking tape they have concluded the window/door trim is slightly twisted/not bedded in properly in one location so a new trim is now on order

Otherwise everything else is working mighty fine on the Edge, great car so far :cool:

PS the Red Convertible Mustang GT (5.0litre V8) in the showroom looked very nice........

• 10 months later...

mmmmm.. I have had my local main dealer fit the Ford tow bar and electrics. I've got Sync 2. The message to say the trailer is connected appears but the park sensors bleep continuously and I don't get the trailer symbol on the screen when I go into reverse.

I'll be having a word with them about coding it up properly....

Let's see how I get on.

Mike, it would appear definitely not coded correctly if your parking sensors still sound when the trailer is connected.  (Front ones should still sound, just not the rears).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club