Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem with stalk audio controls (MK2.5)

djsubtronic

Hi guys

Around a year ago my stalk controls started acting dodgy out of nowhere. For example, next track would sometimes go previous track. It was quite sporadic so I paid it no mind. It almost seemd heat related. Over time though the problem has grown and the issue is almost consistently present, the buttons now work properly very rarely and tend to just have a mind of their own. All four buttons (skip back/forward, vol up/down) will start doing completely incorrect operations. I've had times when all the buttons just increase the volume.

If it makes any difference, I am using an adapter with a Pioneer headunit. The headunit is of course fine and all the buttons on the unit itself work normally.

Anyone experienced something like this before? Is it likely to do with the stalk itself or the adapter? (I've unplugged and reset the adapter also to no avail).

Thanks

I'd try taking the stall off and seeing if there's a problem there.

A few users have complained of a rattling noise coming from the stalk which has been put down to the skip button on there being loose.

2 hours ago, Commencal24 said:

I'd try taking the stall off and seeing if there's a problem there.

A few users have complained of a rattling noise coming from the stalk which has been put down to the skip button on there being loose.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how to go about disassembling the stalk?

3 minutes ago, djsubtronic said:

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how to go about disassembling the stalk?

Have a nosey at the back of the remote stalk near the steering column & you will see a tiny hole, stick a pin or similar in that hole & the remote should pop out of the steering column a little & then you can pull it further out & unplug the wiring & have a fiddle with it  :)
  • Like 1

Just now, Commencal24 said:

Have a nosey at the back of the remote stalk near the steering column & you will see a tiny hole, stick a pin or similar in that hole & the remote should pop out of the steering column a little & then you can pull it further out & unplug the wiring & have a fiddle with it  :)

Thanks :) I'll give this a go and report back... not that I have a clue what to look for, but maybe I'll just give the circuit a good clean with some IPA.

1 hour ago, djsubtronic said:

Thanks :) I'll give this a go and report back... not that I have a clue what to look for, but maybe I'll just give the circuit a good clean with some IPA.

I think check for any loose connections, too start with.

Take plenty of pics, I'm sure they'll come in handy for anyone else with a similar problem in the future 👍🏼

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys

sorry for the delay on this. In the last few weeks the stalk stopped working completely.

I did manage to pull the stalk out of the steering column by depressing the little slot behind it, all the cables were fine and no issue there. I then decided to undo all the wired remote wiring from the head unit and adapters, and then reconnecting everything ensuring it was all secure, and it started working. I only played with it for a few seconds to make sure all the buttons were working fine and they were. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks to see if the buttons start firing the wrong action again, and if so then I'll take the stalk controls apart and give them a clean.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club