Do Not Sell My Personal Information

buying a focus

cmann

I went to see a focus today and was looking for some advice on things i noticed and things to look out for.

The car has been maintained well according to service history, regularly serviced from ford garages. 

2010 focus tdci, 1.6L

mileage - 60k

recent work done - new alternator

When the engine was running with the bonnet open the engine was pretty quiet for a diesel, dont know if thats a good or bad thing?

Another thing i noticed was a noise coming from what seemed like the left side of the engine, almost like a belt slipping. sound was coming every half second or so and was hidden in the background somewhat behind the noise of the engine, so wasnt really loud but enough to be noticed. 

main concern is whether the alternator change might be related to some future problems and with the noise coming when the car was running. 

also are there any other things that are important to check or common problems related to these cars

thanks. 

6-7 year old 1.6 diesel Focus with 60000 miles. Roughly 10,000 miles a year. Probably around town. DPF. 3 letters that personally (just my personal opinion) which would make me look elsewhere. 

• Like 2

I'd never touch a diesel because I don't need to do the motorway miles to warm it up and work it hard 

I think the main issue with these engines is lack of oil changes, we have a Cmax diesel with this engine which will be getting new oil and filter changes every 4k.  You also need to do at least two long journeys a month to keep the dpf clean or alternatively use Shell V Power Diesel or BP Ultimate Diesel to keep soot levels to a minimum and the injectors clean.  Keep in mind that diesels do offer superior economy over petrol models.  Our Cmax does 48mpg round town my Focus 1.8 petrol does low 30s round town.

not sure if this is the twin cam 16 valve or the single cam 8 valve, there are both versions.

I had a 2007 1.6tdci fiesta twin cam 16 valve. Now my brother has it. I bought it at 1,600 miles. Now has over 150k on it. oil changed each 15k miles with high quality oil and genuine ford filter.  Many people will tell you about turbo failure due to sludge blocking oil feed to turbo bearings and this is why so many people say it needs oil change much more often than the 12.5k miles ford say. Mine never had any turbo problems.  They also have problems with diesel seeping past the injector seals, mine did have that problem. Mine did not have a dpf on it.

I loved that engine, the torque and the way it pulls. Some of these go on forever and you don't hear much about those, some people have problems and you hear about those a lot more.

3 hours ago, isetta said:

not sure if this is the twin cam 16 valve or the single cam 8 valve, there are both versions.

I had a 2007 1.6tdci fiesta twin cam 16 valve. Now my brother has it. I bought it at 1,600 miles. Now has over 150k on it. oil changed each 15k miles with high quality oil and genuine ford filter.  Many people will tell you about turbo failure due to sludge blocking oil feed to turbo bearings and this is why so many people say it needs oil change much more often than the 12.5k miles ford say. Mine never had any turbo problems.  They also have problems with diesel seeping past the injector seals, mine did have that problem. Mine did not have a dpf on it.

I loved that engine, the torque and the way it pulls. Some of these go on forever and you don't hear much about those, some people have problems and you hear about those a lot More.

You are very lucky, I change the oil in my car every 6K miles with a genuine filter.

Jamie

"I change the oil in my car every 6K miles with a genuine filter."

do you really need to though?  I know, no one really knows, better to be safe than sorry. depends on type of driving of course. 

I was doing 16k per year of mostly motorway driving and not driving it hard. My theory is that if ford say 12.5k they are basing it on worse case scenario type driving so I reckoned 15k of my driving would be fine. bit of laziness maybe. I did the oil changes myself and was never very keen on doing it.

Going from what owners of the 1.6 in the MK2 have said on this forum; the PSA 1.6 diesel needs to be nursed if you want it to last. So more frequent oil changes. Put me off looking at them that's for sure.

• Like 1

Any of you advise me on oil changes for my 1.8 Zetec s petrol 09 ??   I've always done oil changes once a year (approx 7k miles). Not sure what the recommend for an 1800

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club