Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 KA Trim Removal

TALD

Hi all!

New to the forums and need a bit of advice with my Mk2 KA.

So bought my KA 2009 Studio (the worst spec, didn't know that at the time) and have been struggling to cope with 2 things within the interior. First one is it comes with no central locking so I recently bought myself a kit along with an electric window kit so with that comes with how to take the door cars and relating trim apart.

With this I'll be able to get rid of the IMO cream interior trims and wrap them carbon fibre effect because that makes the car less girly and more up my street :)

Any help appreciated and will post the results if wanted :)

Thomas

Get rid of it and buy the better model. If you change anything from non standard you will need to notify your insurance company even for a radio upgrade.

its girls car reguardless what you do to it.....

Hi sorry I don't have any knowlage of the Mk2 ka, but Welcome to the Forum.
Message for Del boy - come on Del Boy that wasn't the most constructive answer was it, especially as it's his first experience of the forum, and im sure the real Del Boy wouldn't be informing his insurance for every bit of trim or radio change.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's cheaper to buy the kit which i have done and apply stickers to the interior which I would have to do to any of the other models too as they are mostly this tacky cream colour, meaning that changing the car wouldn't be cheaper, a complete pain in the backside and wouldn't solve the problem anyhow.

If anyone knows and would like to share some advice I'm all ears. Thank you for trying @Stillwaters69 and thank you for the welcome :)

Your welcome TALD it just irritates me that people rubish someones project or car, ive seen it on other forums with statements like " polishing a terd" one mans ceiling is another mans floor - if people haven't got something constructive to say - then just don't say anything at all.
I hope you get it sorted TALD, im sure it look great once you've finished.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stillwaters69 said:

Your welcome TALD it just irritates me that people rubish someones project or car, ive seen it on other forums with statements like " polishing a terd" one mans ceiling is another mans floor - if people haven't got something constructive to say - then just don't say anything at all.
I hope you get it sorted TALD, im sure it look great once you've finished.

I respect that thank you. It infuriates me the amount of keyboard warriors there are these days. Thought this being the more official looking forum you would find less of it but appears not being the first comment ever posted back to me.

I'm pretty certain I'll work out how to remove all the trimmings. I'll work out a knack I'm sure. Just hope I don't break any of it.

I feel the same, and it really naffed me off that it was your first post and such a negative comment, No worries TAD, ive got a modified Mk 1 Ka Sport myself, but I've often wondered what the Mk2 is like.

Sorry should have been Tald - damn spell checker.

13 hours ago, Stillwaters69 said:

I've often wondered what the Mk2 is like.

It's my second car. I did have a 1.0 Lupo and there is no comparison. I love the KA for its very nippy 1.2 engine that pulls and seems to never really stop. I've driven 1.4s that have no 'umpth' when approached with a hill. I think the styling is much better than the previous generation imo, looks like a squashed fiesta in a good way but doesn't look like a fish which seems to be adopted by every new ford these days.

Only niggles are to check the spec otherwise you end up buying central locking kits like me and so on. Otherwise I think it has great potential to add your own flare. I'm searching for decent alloys, lots of people like Wolfrace Assassins but I'm thinking of the WolfRace Milano's. Cheap insurance too since I got this was I was halfway through my first year of driving at 17. Now 18 and compared to my mates I still pay less even after adding alloys enabling me to have my personality in the car I drive. I daily drive to work on 48mpg comfortably without watching revs and speed with mixed driving ie. about town and on motorways.

Test drive one is what I recommend. I've never driven any of the mk1s. I can see the mk2 becoming highly modable when the prices of them fall for sure. Been looking for shows to turn up to about my area or even just car meets just to grab inspiration.

Hi TALD,
Sounds good adding some wolfrace alloys to your KA, Ive seen the Assassins but dont think ive seen the milanos.
I've modified my Sport KA which is now 120bhp, which seriously surprised one BMW driver on the Motorway who couldn't match my acelaration between 80-120mph, i tend to get around 30 mpg round town or 35 on Motorway which giving that ford gave it 37 when new isn't bad.
If I ever wanted a different car I think I would definitely consider a Mk 2 KA as all the other cars seem to look the same just like the now MK 3 KA, i did like the blue colour on the MK 2 when they first came out, but I don't like the fiesta ST or focus ST or RS - just same old same old, never noticed before but your right they do look like a fish.

That's quite a performance boost! The mk2 starts with a fairly low starting bhp and have no clue how easy it would be to break the 100bhp mark however if Abarth can do surely parts are inter-changeable since they are nearly the same car. I'm just looking at the prices of the alloys with no tyres on and my head telling me no but the heart says yes!

I agree, everyone is picking up the STs and RSs. Not sure if I'd stick to Ford or not after my KA to be honest and if I did it wouldn't be on the new cars I don't think. Not convinced the build quality is there these days as my 09 has a few rattles around the dash which I'll be trying to chance when I remove all the trimmings however I am a huge fan of the new Transit and the Transit Connect so that would be what I'd jump to if I wanted a van or would stay a ford owner at the time of writing at least. My parants own the big Ford Ranger which is cool but not for me personally.

If you got a mk2 KA what would be your rough plans. I'd love to make mine lower, and faster but insurance companies want to rob me of thousands of pounds if I did that currently.

Good News!

I have finished what I initially set out to do. I have successfully installed the central locking kit and window kit. I have also taken the bold cream interior to a very understated carbon fibre effect.

Trim removal was actually easy given if you had the correct tools. I bought some trim removal tools for £8 which was well worth the money and is now becoming a vital tool to keep the newer your car gets. Everything popped off basically. With a little guidance from a relevant Haynes Manual and it wasn't a struggle at all. The hardest part to trim removal was the front facia as it was one large piece and not just the cream was also the hardest to wrap because of this, not to mention the amount of curves and circles in all of the cream trims.

The results are as follow and if anyone would like advice and pointers for this style of job I can speak from experience and would be happy to lend written hand :)

Pictures:

18052715_10203057602836941_305725853_n.jpg.2affa7e4d0771bec717582889e582d4b.jpg18052960_10203057603116948_332839430_n.thumb.jpg.9966b3ececa8889bdc69236fe5d085ce.jpg18109814_10203057602796940_2065354078_n.jpg.10eb4ad2dceb979e138c90d43218eb7a.jpg18110768_10203057603076947_1820741533_n.thumb.jpg.83324b5f766d1c28281a9674a1bdb74c.jpg18136801_10203057603156949_1555075193_n.thumb.jpg.552619155cd66237b81280b8fa1d13f5.jpg18136872_10203057603236951_207084273_n.thumb.jpg.d1a907cd0042f8fe5b53c2e2c10f90f7.jpg18136906_10203057602996945_1787847013_n.thumb.jpg.435a6c548c419483fc58b92a88e99aec.jpg18136957_10203057603036946_2076330026_n.thumb.jpg.5289d01b638f1038bc3ec76b37430440.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hey how did you get the console out where the dials are as well as the console bit around the gear knob?

• 2 years later...

Hi there, this threads a bit old but hopefully original poster can help?!

ive got the same as my first car! 
I love it but would love to be able to do a similar with wrapping the console in a carbon fibre effect. 
Any advice would be great

thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Harv03 not sure if you have found a tutorial or figured it out yourself. I just fitted an aftermarket radio in the miss’ KA this video link was helpful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg4nhfP5iCs

• 4 weeks later...

hi Slats

just thinking about the central locking and wndows , i know it will need the locks and motors etc but was wondering if the wiring side of it is already there? i have a studio connect model,was thinking of buying the door looms, but did you find the original car loom had the wiring in already or have you had to totally rewire it? any help appreciated 🙂

• 4 months later...
On 4/23/2017 at 9:40 PM, TALD said:

Good News!

I have finished what I initially set out to do. I have successfully installed the central locking kit and window kit. I have also taken the bold cream interior to a very understated carbon fibre effect.

Trim removal was actually easy given if you had the correct tools. I bought some trim removal tools for £8 which was well worth the money and is now becoming a vital tool to keep the newer your car gets. Everything popped off basically. With a little guidance from a relevant Haynes Manual and it wasn't a struggle at all. The hardest part to trim removal was the front facia as it was one large piece and not just the cream was also the hardest to wrap because of this, not to mention the amount of curves and circles in all of the cream trims.

The results are as follow and if anyone would like advice and pointers for this style of job I can speak from experience and would be happy to lend written hand 🙂

Pictures:

Can I ask if you have a link to the trim removal tools. I've just bought my daughter a Mk2 KA for her birthday and it has a few niggles I want to address before giving her the car in June. Firstly the gear knob is loose and the gaiter has a small tear so I'll replace those. Secondly the plastic wheel trims are in terrible condition so I'm in 2 minds whether to respray them and fit new centre badges or just buy a new set. I've also noticed the pegs for the parcel shelf are broken (1 missing) Not big jobs but little touches that will just make a big difference, It's her first car and I want to make sure it's pukka. Any/All advice is welcomed.