Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3 Coil Spring

skyking_comms

My 2011 1.6 TDCI has just failed the MOT because of a broken offside front coil spring. Going to cost around £160 to replace. Is this a common problem on the focus? Do people get both front coil springs replaced at the same time?

Thanks

• Like 1

It's a common enough problem on every car these days.

I'd recommend doing the pair.

get both front coil springs replaced at the same time :smile:

I think I was lucky but got 2 front coil springs from my local ford dealer (Macklin motors) for £33 each then fitted them myself easy job

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Thank you for the replies - I will get both coil springs changed based on the responses

On my Focus MK3 one of the front springs broke approximately 1,5 Year ago. Instead of changing both front springs I decided to instal a set of Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs. A set of 4 Eibach lowering springs was way cheaper than 2 original front springs.

• Like 1

Best excuse to lower car the wife will never know lol

Believe me she will know.

Especially when combined with 18 inch wheels with 225-40-18 Ultra High Performance tyres.

• Like 1

I just replaced a front coil a few weeks ago. Only did the one side and the car is handling fine. Cost £90 fitted.

I thought I'd need both done, but the mechanic explained that most modern cars, unless they have done 100k miles or are 10+ years old there is no real call to replace the springs in pairs (as the other side is probably likely to go soon). When I picked the car up, the replaced spring side was maybe 1-2 cm taller than the other side, but the next morning it was perfectly level.  

Same for me.

Three years ago I bought a MK2 Titanium 1.6 petrol with 80,000 miles on the clock.

2 weeks later the right front coil spring went bang. I replaced only that one spring. The car has gone now to 120,000 miles with no more spring problems.

Only do the one is my advice.

ScaniaPBman.

still a good excuse to lower the car and improve both it's looks and handling