Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 focus drive

ford focus edge

Hi guys and girls, after seing an old friend from high school today on my travels he has just bought a mk3 focus zetec-s 1.8 tdci. He let me take it round the cark park for a quick spin and vice versa with my mk1 and im not just being sour about his brand new shiny ford and me with my 5yr old one :( i found his mk3 not as much fun to drive. It still had all the feel of a focus but it didnt seem as eager to want to be thrown about as much and im worried that the focus has lost some of its soul for the sake of a smoother ride and drive. Was just wondering how many of you guys have had a mk1 and then bought a mk2 and felt the same or even with a mk3.

Mike

the mk1 is officially the car of the decade so that says it all ive found the mk3 etc to be more how it looks than how the car drives i dont like them ive tried them but they feel like they have lost summat im not being byased but the mk1 is the best in fact its as good as my old passat which when new was 8 grand more than the focus was and in some areas its even better.

the passat focused on smooth soft ride comfy and relaxed but it had no feel to it no fun it didnt like being chucked around even with the standard stiffer springs and was a bit dull it had lots of toys on it abs electric everything etc but it was bland the focus can still bring a smile to my face it handles far better so what that its not softly sprung with the sports suspension and some roads can be a bit bumpy you turn the wheel it goes exactly where you want it i know what i think so what i dont have elec back windows or aircon to be honest aircon was a pain and !Removed! expensive to fix my mirrors dont demist themself and arent electric doesnt matter i want a car not an electric filled box of a thousand sensors that end up costing the earth to fix and replace the more crap thats in them the more to go wrong the more it will cost.

the best cars ive had are the ones that didnt have all the junk a 1995 hyundai accent lsi 1.3 it rarely needed a thing 1 new battery and tyres etc i sold it with 98k on the clock and the engine was as sweet as a nut started first time everytime had surprisingly good handling and just went on with no grumbles and a punto1.2 the mk1 which until someone rear ended it had done 85k with no grumbles and no expensive repairs i got rid of the passat and got the focus and i wont have another vw again out of them all and all the other cars ive driven mk1 wins the first is always the best

Tottally agree my focus has the sportier set up and personally i dont think the rides even bad the 1.6 engine in mines done nearly 50k and its smooth as a nut not one problem with her yet touch wood. Although mine is loaded with eletrics like quickclear heated front screen, heated mirrors, a/c etc etc...

This is my 1st car and if im honest i dont want it to ever die i just wish it had more power thats my only real complaint about the focus even the 2.0's arent that fast there mint to drive just crap in a straight line.

I think that the newer cars are to safe and lack the enthuasim of the slightley older stuff the mk1 focus isnt exactly a dinosaur in the car world but for my next car to top my little blue focus it's gonna have to be something special. Or another focus :P

Mike

I agree that the Mark 1 was a better car to drive than my current 2.0 TDCI. We had a mark 1 1.6 zetec at work as a pool car and I found it very chuckable and thought it had very good handling. The mark 2 Focus is a more grown up car and one area where it improves significantly over the mark 1 is interior quality. I thought the interior of the mark 1 looked cheap compared to rivals such as the Golf, but in the mark 2 it is much closer to the Golf (if not quite matching it yet). The later Focus in my opinion sacrificed some of its dynamism for a better all round package which I think Ford had to do-The Mark 1 was so far ahead of its rivals in terms of driver appeal that Ford could afford to sacrifice some of that to allow it to catch its rivals in other areas.

personally the interior has never bothered me its better than some and to be honest doesnt feel that cheap to me my passats interior wasnt far off vw interiors look good but get in there and its a different ballgame thay are just cheap units with slightly better quality fabric i can assure anyone vws are not as well built and reliable as a lot of people think i got mine with a full dealer service history fully serviced every 10k in the year i had it i replaced the timing belt and tensioner whole front end has to come off for that/ i replaced the maf /drivers side abs sensor/ both cv joints/ rear wheel bearings/ rear brake flexi hose/ front hub/ clear the pollen filter and drain holes every month as they fill up and water goes into the front pass side and destroys the convenience unit that controls alarm windows etc/ a new key fob and key at £157/ a new aircon compressor various relays then the timing chain started to rattle a bit the dash looks good on the vw but pop out anything and its just nasty the trim only covers what you see remove anything and theres badly cut fabric with big gaps the engine design is useless as the whole buper headlights front grill arch liners have to come out just to get it into a service position for the timing belt then you have another half dozen bolts uncliop wiring etc to pull it far enough forward to get room to work crap design crap road holding the only good golf was the mk1 the rest were just pretenders that just never had the impact design looks or feel and fords are generally the same thares only so much you can improve before you have to start with a whole new car design the hyundai was the same the original was a better car then the newer version they brought out fair enough it had more goodies and looked smarter but beneath the skin it was ugly unreliable and the car shook at the mere thought of throwing it into a corner the original was an ugly looker but a gem underneath

The interior in the mk1 i find perfectaly ok nout wrong with it nout to shout about, the design of it i acctually quite like much better than these slabs of silver n black you get in the newer stuff. I also love the looks of the mk1 but must admit i prefer the new "kenetic" design the new fords have basically i want the body of a newer ford with the drive and mechanics of the older fords if that makes any sence lol

Mike

The interior in the mk1 i find perfectaly ok nout wrong with it nout to shout about, the design of it i acctually quite like much better than these slabs of silver n black you get in the newer stuff. I also love the looks of the mk1 but must admit i prefer the new "kenetic" design the new fords have basically i want the body of a newer ford with the drive and mechanics of the older fords if that makes any sence lol

Mike

I have had all sorts of cars in my 46 years of driving. But when I bought a six year old 99 plate mk1 Focus 1.8 Zetec, I realised it was the best drive I had ever had. I ran it for three months short of four years, and apart from tyres and servicing, all it cost me was one rear wheel bearing [£50 including fitting, a bargain] OK in year nine of its life it started to bubble a bit at the apex of one of the rear wheel arches. But hell considering it's a Ford, I thought I could not complain really. When I bought it, it was to replace a ten year old Mondeo that I had had for nine years. The Mondeo, again cost me now't bar servicing and tyres in nine years of ownership. But the clutch went at 75K, and as the door skins where parting company with the door frames. I just got the AA [i had the recovery option] take me and the car to my local scrap yard, then he ran me home.

Anyway mk1 Focus in year nine, at 79k clutch was slipping, Wife said sell it pointing to the 10cm diameter bubble on the wheel arch. No way said I, years of life left in the old girl yet. So new clutch, front discs and pads fitted £400, and she was quick and sharp in the corners once again, The ten days latter [ 30th Dec 2008] a prat crossers to the wife's side of the road and writes it off in a head on collision.

Anyway, wife then insists we get a Volvo S40 2.0D SE, me still wanting another Focus, but that said a great car packed with safety features and fast. Built on the mk2 Focus platform., but nowhere near as nice to drive as the mk1 Focus. How can I put it, the feed back from the mk1 Focus as to what it is doing is superb. You could chuck it into corners and it stuck to the road like sh@t sticks to a blanket, no traction control or anything like that on it, not even ABS.

Anyway nine months later we are back in a Focus mk2 [wife's nagging me] because the Focus was so easy to drive, she somehow felt intimidated by the size and the power of the turbo diesel S40 [women what are they like]

But getting back to the original thread opener observations, I personally find the 55 plate mk2 Focus 1.6 Zetec just as good a drive as the mk1. And on the plus side, it is 7.5cm longer and 5.5cm wider than the mk1. Though it's hard to notice if any of that extra space is actually in the cabin. On the minus side the seat fabrics in the mk2 Zetec are crap compared to the mk1. And the fantastically iconic exterior styling of the mk1 makes the mk2 look a more boring looking car than it actually is. In fact as a package in professional reviewer eyes, the mk2 is rated as a better car than the mk1 [exterior styling aside] That said, I prefer the exterior styling on the latest Focus, definitely over the mk2, and slightly over the mk1. I think Ford have tried to get back on the latest Focus what it lost exterior style wise on the mk2.

But not having driven the latest Focus, I could not offer a comment as to wither it's lost something in the handling prowess of the mk1/mk2 variants. I dare say my perfect Focus would be the driving experience I have enjoyed in both the mk1 and m2k, but in the latest skin, with the latest toys and safety features. I do miss the rain sensitive wipers, and auto dimming rear view mirror, cruise and the assurance of knowing I had traction control if it was ever needed of the Volvo, all now available in the latest Focus.

Oh and before Ford sell the Volvo brand to the Chinese could I possibly have the deep leather heated seats out of the S40 please.

If im honest, i was looking at an s40 volvo 2.4 sport as my next car (bit grandad seing as i hopefully will be 20 when i get my next car) and having been various times in my uncle's v40 se i agree the seats are a revalation in comfort lol not very good in the side support area though.

Best car for seats by far and away are lexus's having worked there briefley and driven most of the models there really really good cars if a bit spongey and expensive for my sporty taste's.

Cheers for the input guys its much apprecaited keep your thoughts coming!

Mike

Father's MKI Zetec 1.8 is lively, nimble and good fun.

I had an ST170 - immensely fun, but not quick enough.

Now have a MKII 1.8 TDCi (sig). Heavier (!), but feels more planted on the road.

The MKI is a different drive. I preferred the steering in the MKI, but then I much prefer the interior in the MKII as it has FAR fewer rattles and squeaks.

MKI seats are a little more comfortable (the leather trimmed), but the MKII is a lot quieter.

We could go on for a while :D But both have their merits. I have an 'exceptional' MKII spec, in that it's far more than 'average' so I can't really comment like for like for real fairness. MKII is more of a mile muncher though, as it's a bit bulkier - handles almost as well, but takes some time to get used to it.

I have driven 3 Focuses so far - one of them was MK 1. It was a pleasure to drive, so smooth like a flying carpet. I drived it for 7 years then bought my current Focus. This one drives well too, with its punchy diesel engine but somewhat different. Maybe just because it's heavier. (My first Focus was a 1.6 petrol model.)

Silverfox i saw your mkII in a pervious post and its one of the best looking mkII's ive seen! not kissing !Removed! but i prefer ones like yours to the st225's which scream PULL ME OVER to the police and have "!Removed!" written down the side of them mostley because all the young people that drive them usually have them on finance, shout about how they have an st focus when as its not acctually theres HA!. Sorry thats my beef with st drivers lol. Not saying there a bad car there excellent and hammer the golf gti into the ground its just mostly the people that drive them that ruin the car :(

I also agree with you that the st170 just simpally is not fast enough for the insurance preimum you have to pay you can get so much more for less, still a !Removed! hot car though imo :P .

Mike

Silverfox i saw your mkII in a pervious post and its one of the best looking mkII's ive seen! not kissing !Removed! but i prefer ones like yours to the st225's which scream PULL ME OVER to the police and have "!Removed!" written down the side of them mostley because all the young people that drive them usually have them on finance, shout about how they have an st focus when as its not acctually theres HA!. Sorry thats my beef with st drivers lol. Not saying there a bad car there excellent and hammer the golf gti into the ground its just mostly the people that drive them that ruin the car :(

I also agree with you that the st170 just simpally is not fast enough for the insurance preimum you have to pay you can get so much more for less, still a !Removed! hot car though imo :P .

Mike

Hey - thanks for the comments! It's nice when other people like a 'unique' look too. I'm chuffed with mine, but take no rights in making it look that way - Ford made it :) I just bought it.

I've not seen another Focus MKII with the same spec as mine (some have come close though), so I'm pleased to have a diesel (diseasel!) that's fairly unique.

I enjoyed the ST70 - good step up from the 1.25 Fiesta, but glad I didn't get the ST225, as it would have been asking for more points on my licence ... !

Hey - thanks for the comments! It's nice when other people like a 'unique' look too. I'm chuffed with mine, but take no rights in making it look that way - Ford made it :) I just bought it.

I've not seen another Focus MKII with the same spec as mine (some have come close though), so I'm pleased to have a diesel (diseasel!) that's fairly unique.

I enjoyed the ST70 - good step up from the 1.25 Fiesta, but glad I didn't get the ST225, as it would have been asking for more points on my licence ... !

Haha another focus driver with points! theres many of us out there my friend. I've gone for the "unique" look on mine but mine was'nt bought its made ;) ive only ever seen one other focus edge in tonic blue with the colour coded strips on *touch wood* i just wish mine was a 5 stud that way i can have the same alloys as your mkII in the graphite shade but insted i have the crappy 16" edge wheels <_< HATE them lol. Going to load mine with eletrics now i have my crimbo money muahaha.

Mike

Is the Tonic Blue almost a green shade? If it's the one I am thinking of, it's a pain to colour code on damaged wings etc. The Focus forum has one guy with that colour ... but I don't think he's colour coded all the rub strips (yet?).

I personally don't like changing the looks other than with genuine Ford intended parts, but accept that plenty love to. I considered the MKII Focus dress-up kit, but it's quite expensive and you can't see it from the inside! Far easier to buy the Focus CC front bumper and skip the skirts (or use ST skirts - but forgo mud flaps). Still a waste for me.

Will be doing a full detail on mine soon, but waiting for it to warm up. Impossible in the current temperatures really!

Loooooooads of my mates think its silver then they move back abit and think its blue its a really weird colour and ur right a ***t to match in my rubber strips are really cloce if a tiny bit off as they always are just the door handles that look cack which will be gettin replaced shortly!. I was thinking of getting the "egr" front,side and rear skirt set but its expensive as hell so bugger it il cat a cat-back and wire my heated seats in etc.

Friend of mine fitted a wrc front bumper to his mp3 and left the rest alone completly and didnt even colour code the strips on the doors etc so it wouldant look as bad and the end result is his car is worthles and luks !Removed!. Motto is be VERY careful what you swap over and how much you spend on parts.

Mike

Only Ford parts would ever make it onto my car. (asides from remap/tuning box/brake discs and pads [Mintex for me]). 3rd party stuff is usually &#33;Removed&#33; and not quite right.

Alot of the parts on my car are from ford but one ones that arent look completly standard like my rear lights have the clear indicator lenses but the brake/headlight area is still red (there the US spec led ones), only my angel eyes, stero and speakers+amp, induction kit and nearly evey bulb has been swaped for xeon or led are the non-standard ford parts. It sounds modified but to be honest its more modern/top spec mk1 much like yours is top spec mk2

Mike

Xenon/HIDs are a funny one - technically require the washers and self-levellers to be legal, but the police aren't that fussed at the moment it seems.

My parents got me a pair of Philips Xtreme Power headlamp bulbs for Christmas (very nice of them!), so looking forward to putting those in when mine finally bite the dust.

One thing I have noticed and forgot to mention about the MKI/MKII ... the MKII has the most peculiar but amazing mirrors - it almost feels like you can see around more of the car than you should. In fact, it was the first thing I noticed when I bought it!

Xenon/HIDs are a funny one - technically require the washers and self-levellers to be legal, but the police aren't that fussed at the moment it seems.

My parents got me a pair of Philips Xtreme Power headlamp bulbs for Christmas (very nice of them!), so looking forward to putting those in when mine finally bite the dust.

One thing I have noticed and forgot to mention about the MKI/MKII ... the MKII has the most peculiar but amazing mirrors - it almost feels like you can see around more of the car than you should. In fact, it was the first thing I noticed when I bought it!

I think my angel eyes have them phillips bulbs in not entirley sure they were put on in the summer! The police are only fussed about you if your under 23, drive a nice car and lean foward when you drive period. I keep knocking my mirrors :( i find them hugeeee when im trying to get in and out of the garage (now i just park on the drive sod it) they are crap though i just love that there heated on cold days just wish the rear view mirror was, when the heater is on full heat and power on the window screen it fog's over :blink: bit of a pain in the &#33;Removed&#33; when your freezing to death attempting to drive down a country lane at 8:30am lol

Mike

Air con will get rid of any moisture inside the car :) people forget it's great in the cold too!

I can't remember what it's like to freeze - heated seats and quick clear screen is a god send :)

Air con, !Removed! forgot i had that lmao! shows how much i use it. I love my quickclear screen its great with frost makes de-icing the car nice and easy and im in the proces of wiring in my heated seats just looking for looms etc like bloodey gold dust though, rung ford and they had no idea they existed so im going to find a ghia in a scrap yard and shred it! muahah

Mike

I couldn't be without heated seats you know!

Car was in for a major service today and the Ford dealer had an RS in the showroom. I remarked how it didn't have the satnav as standard (for £27k!) and the sales guy remembered my car and said 'you've got that grey one, haven't you?'.

Chatted for a good hour or so and I noticed that the bumpers, side skirts etc that are green, are a different green to the rest of the car. Disappointing! &#33;Removed&#33; comfy car though, yet was surprised that the engine was a lot quieter and subdued than I was expecting.

Good luck wiring in the seats!

Cheers buddie il need it!

I LOVE the new rs think they look stunning, sound mint and go like s**t of a shovel but to be honest id never ever buy one after all its stil a focus and there just not worth the kind of money ford are charging for the rs. I mean 27,000 hard earned pounds for one of britans most common cars, come on really? dont get me wrong i do really like them but its just ludicras that people are willing to pay that.

Just after i left high school i was an apprentis ford mechanic at our district's main dealer and for the opening day of the dealer they had a ford gt and a focus wrc rally car (ghronholme's one cant spell the name so good luck with that lol) the gt just pulled and pulled like a train thats mind blowingley fast but the wrc car, i nearly got brown stains on my overall's theres 0 turbo lag the gear changes are split second. The top speed isnt to good but the handling and acceleration made the car untouchable by almost anything out there.

If you ever get the chance to go in one jump at it! Oh and out of curiouisty how many miles has your focus done

Mike

Mine's done 35k now.

I've had the pleasure of being thrown about in a JDM Subaru WRX STi that had been modified heavily. I nearly vomited ...

Mines just ticked over to 49,000 on the way home today.

Scoobey's nayyy Evo's yayyy lol although i have seen focus's nocking around with subaru engine conversians pesonally rather than buying a 2nd focus i just want a st200 mondeo v6 conversion done to mine and to take all my sound system out and fix the few rattles that are on my mk1 (just loose clips that have fell down the back of the bloodey door cards i cant get at) :(

Mike