34 replies to this topic

#16 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:27 AM

Only Ford parts would ever make it onto my car. (asides from remap/tuning box/brake discs and pads [Mintex for me]). 3rd party stuff is usually !Removed! and not quite right.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.5T ST-2
  • Year: 2008

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

Alot of the parts on my car are from ford but one ones that arent look completly standard like my rear lights have the clear indicator lenses but the brake/headlight area is still red (there the US spec led ones), only my angel eyes, stero and speakers+amp, induction kit and nearly evey bulb has been swaped for xeon or led are the non-standard ford parts. It sounds modified but to be honest its more modern/top spec mk1 much like yours is top spec mk2

Mike

#18 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:00 PM

Xenon/HIDs are a funny one - technically require the washers and self-levellers to be legal, but the police aren't that fussed at the moment it seems.

My parents got me a pair of Philips Xtreme Power headlamp bulbs for Christmas (very nice of them!), so looking forward to putting those in when mine finally bite the dust.

One thing I have noticed and forgot to mention about the MKI/MKII ... the MKII has the most peculiar but amazing mirrors - it almost feels like you can see around more of the car than you should. In fact, it was the first thing I noticed when I bought it!

#19 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

Xenon/HIDs are a funny one - technically require the washers and self-levellers to be legal, but the police aren't that fussed at the moment it seems.

My parents got me a pair of Philips Xtreme Power headlamp bulbs for Christmas (very nice of them!), so looking forward to putting those in when mine finally bite the dust.

One thing I have noticed and forgot to mention about the MKI/MKII ... the MKII has the most peculiar but amazing mirrors - it almost feels like you can see around more of the car than you should. In fact, it was the first thing I noticed when I bought it!

I think my angel eyes have them phillips bulbs in not entirley sure they were put on in the summer! The police are only fussed about you if your under 23, drive a nice car and lean foward when you drive period. I keep knocking my mirrors :( i find them hugeeee when im trying to get in and out of the garage (now i just park on the drive sod it) they are crap though i just love that there heated on cold days just wish the rear view mirror was, when the heater is on full heat and power on the window screen it fog's over :blink: bit of a pain in the !Removed! when your freezing to death attempting to drive down a country lane at 8:30am lol

Mike

#20 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

Air con will get rid of any moisture inside the car :) people forget it's great in the cold too!

I can't remember what it's like to freeze - heated seats and quick clear screen is a god send :)

#21 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

Air con, !Removed! forgot i had that lmao! shows how much i use it. I love my quickclear screen its great with frost makes de-icing the car nice and easy and im in the proces of wiring in my heated seats just looking for looms etc like bloodey gold dust though, rung ford and they had no idea they existed so im going to find a ghia in a scrap yard and shred it! muahah

Mike

#22 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

I couldn't be without heated seats you know!

Car was in for a major service today and the Ford dealer had an RS in the showroom. I remarked how it didn't have the satnav as standard (for 27k!) and the sales guy remembered my car and said 'you've got that grey one, haven't you?'.

Chatted for a good hour or so and I noticed that the bumpers, side skirts etc that are green, are a different green to the rest of the car. Disappointing! !Removed! comfy car though, yet was surprised that the engine was a lot quieter and subdued than I was expecting.

Good luck wiring in the seats!

#23 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

Cheers buddie il need it!

I LOVE the new rs think they look stunning, sound mint and go like s**t of a shovel but to be honest id never ever buy one after all its stil a focus and there just not worth the kind of money ford are charging for the rs. I mean 27,000 hard earned pounds for one of britans most common cars, come on really? dont get me wrong i do really like them but its just ludicras that people are willing to pay that.

Just after i left high school i was an apprentis ford mechanic at our district's main dealer and for the opening day of the dealer they had a ford gt and a focus wrc rally car (ghronholme's one cant spell the name so good luck with that lol) the gt just pulled and pulled like a train thats mind blowingley fast but the wrc car, i nearly got brown stains on my overall's theres 0 turbo lag the gear changes are split second. The top speed isnt to good but the handling and acceleration made the car untouchable by almost anything out there.

If you ever get the chance to go in one jump at it! Oh and out of curiouisty how many miles has your focus done

Mike

#24 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

Mine's done 35k now.

I've had the pleasure of being thrown about in a JDM Subaru WRX STi that had been modified heavily. I nearly vomited ...

#25 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

Mines just ticked over to 49,000 on the way home today.

Scoobey's nayyy Evo's yayyy lol although i have seen focus's nocking around with subaru engine conversians pesonally rather than buying a 2nd focus i just want a st200 mondeo v6 conversion done to mine and to take all my sound system out and fix the few rattles that are on my mk1 (just loose clips that have fell down the back of the bloodey door cards i cant get at) :(

Mike

#26 thesilverfox

thesilverfox

• PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

I'd just get a Caterham. Cheap, cheerful and outrageously good. Came very close to buying one for myself second hand, before realising I have no garage to put it in when it's wet, cold, winter etc :D

#27 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

Mates dad's got a westfield had a go in that and its a tad to on the wild side for me im afraid more into overpowered 4wd jappie cars or big brutish holden's and aussie fords. Why could'nt ford of made a beefey mk1 focus insted of the rs :( which caterham where you going to buy. If i was loaded enough to have a second car im afraid to say it would be a vauxhall monaro 6.0v8 vxr :lol: at 18 i admit thats wishful thinking but were all allowed a dream :P

#28 mcouchard

mcouchard

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Focus 1.6 Zetec

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

Hi guys and girls, after seing an old friend from high school today on my travels he has just bought a mk3 focus zetec-s 1.8 tdci. He let me take it round the cark park for a quick spin and vice versa with my mk1 and im not just being sour about his brand new shiny ford and me with my 5yr old one :( i found his mk3 not as much fun to drive. It still had all the feel of a focus but it didnt seem as eager to want to be thrown about as much and im worried that the focus has lost some of its soul for the sake of a smoother ride and drive. Was just wondering how many of you guys have had a mk1 and then bought a mk2 and felt the same or even with a mk3.

Mike

Not to be too contriversial but does the Mk1 Focus really drive that well. I realise by now I have quite a bad example with everything that has gone wrong. But I much prefer driving my Mk1 Renault megane 1.4 16v in comparison the Focus feels like I'm driving a water bed there is no feeling or feedback. I never have any idea what speed I'm doing unless my eyes are glued to the speedo and the acceleration between 50 and 60 is a tad bit slow. At motorway speeds it is great and cruises effortlessly, which is where it truimphs over the smaller megane. But around town and on country lanes I find it too numb, I personally like to know what is going on and feel that I am going in corners etc. Probably a combination of what I am used to and the fact that its a more modern car.

#29 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

The only renault ive driven is a 2001 clio, it wasnt bad but i wouldant buy one lol. The focus does mute speed rather well but personally i like that i can be doing unmentional speeds and not notice but when you really push a focus round the tight and twistys you can have a wrestle and a good play with it. What kind of problems have you had with yours and how come you find it slow from 50-60 if i use the gears in my 1.6 it irritates people in 318i bmw's etc

Mike

#30 mcouchard

mcouchard

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Focus 1.6 Zetec

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

The only renault ive driven is a 2001 clio, it wasnt bad but i wouldant buy one lol. The focus does mute speed rather well but personally i like that i can be doing unmentional speeds and not notice but when you really push a focus round the tight and twistys you can have a wrestle and a good play with it. What kind of problems have you had with yours and how come you find it slow from 50-60 if i use the gears in my 1.6 it irritates people in 318i bmw's etc

Mike

Problems: clutch, clutch bearing, front springs, alternator and gear linkage all replaced within three months of purchase, fuel economy is currentely 28mpg and its now making strange noises when braking. I think the rear brakes have locked up as my wife said they were making a grinding noise before it skidded last night. Which could explain the futher drop in the fuel economy on this tank it has taken a massive dive looks like it will be mid 20's. I have yet to investigate the brakes as yet though.

Acceleration: I have just found that when accelerating up hill on a slip road a few times there hasn't been much pull and it has strugggled to get upto 60mph with ony two slim adults on board in the summer. I don't drive the Focus often, but since I have left it in forth gear until I reach 60mph to overcome the issue. This might be what most Focus drivers do I suppose, but I usually change into 5th at 50mph on other cars I've driven unless the car is particularly full.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users