Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 2006 1.4 Zetec timing belt change.

HenryV

27 minutes ago, HenryV said:

Thanks guys,

I'm currently minded to use the flywheel locking tool and to use the impact gun on the bolt.

If I don't lock the flywheel and just use the gun, does the crankshaft need any sort of clamping/restriction?

If so, how do you clamp/hold the crankshaft without the flywheel locked?

Hold it with your hand lol

• Like 1

Given the near-instantaneous application of torque from an impact wrench you often don't need to clamp the workpiece. Of course, back in the real world you might have to and so a pulley holder can be helpful but you might need to wedge something in place to keep the holder attached. Don't be tempted to use the locking pin supplied with the timing kit as it is only suitable for locking the crank for tightening. If you attempt to use it for loosening then you'll bend/snap it and cause yourself a whole world of pain.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Given the near-instantaneous application of torque from an impact you often don't need to clamp the workpiece. Of course, back in the real world you might have to and so a pulley holder can be helpful but you might need to wedge something in place to keep the holder attached. Don't be tempted to use the locking pin supplied with the timing kit as it is only suitable for locking the crank for tightening. If you attempt to use it for loosening then you'll bend/snap it and cause yourself a whole world of pain.

You would be turning the crank in the opposite direction to the crank pin anyway to loosen it. 

• Like 1

It doesn't seem to stop people from trying though! :wink:

(I can understand why to be fair - if it is called a 'locking pin' then you would be forgiven for thinking it does exactly that and ought not to make any difference whether is it used to aid tightening or loosening as is otherwise the case for other types of locking tool)

• Like 1

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but make sure you replace the crankshaft pulley bolt as it is a stretch bolt that should not be reused.

• Like 2

Thanks MJN/stef,

I was going to ask about the locking pin. I've read warnings about not using it for unlocking the pulley bolt. However; The torque required to tighten the new bolt must be similar to the torque required to loosen it?

Will it withstand the tightening process?

I'm aware MJN of the need for a new bolt and I have one on my parts list thanks.

It is probably easier to explain in a drawing but let me give words a chance first!

The locking pin screws in to the engine block and protrudes through the other side in mid air. When you rotate the crank clockwise (as you would to tighten the bolt) a protrusion on the crank comes into contact with the end of the locking pin pushing against it and is stopped from rotating further. This force is applied parallel with the pin hence the stress is entirely compressive thus easily accomodated.

If you turn the crank anticlockwise (as loosening the bolt would cause it to do) the same protrusion on the crank ends up coming into contact with the *side* of the pin and hence any subsequent force simply bends the relatively thin locking pin out of the way. Not only has the crank bolt not been undone but you've now got a locking pin stuck in the engine block, most likely tapping on the crank every revolution, and the sump would need removing to be able to cut the pin in half to allow its removal!

• Like 1

Thanks again MJN,

I completely follow what you're saying there and it makes complete sense now. No drawings necessary thanks :smile:

Thanks to you guys, I'm now feeling confident enough to start ordering the parts.

Do you think I'd be as well to change the crankshaft oil seal whilst I'm at it?

Is a new rocker cover gasket really necessary or will I be ok to re-use the old one?

Parts on my shopping list:

Timing Belt, water pump & tensioner kit (Ford 1780142)

Two Drive belts kit (Ford 1829195)

Crankshaft locking tool/pin (Ford 303-748)

Camshaft alignment plate (Ford 303-376B)

Camshaft pulley holding tool (Ford 205-072)

Timing belt tensioner locking tool (Ford 303-1054)

Crankshaft pulley bolt

Camshaft pulley bolts

Rocker cover gasket ?? 

Crankshaft front oil seal ??

Flywheel locking tool (hopefully, I won't need this)

I'll be buying genuine Ford belts/water pump/tensioner/bolts, but I'll be buying copies of the special tools from 'fleabay'.

Complete post this time sorry :wacko:

Thanks again MJN,

I completely follow what you're saying there and it makes complete sense now. No drawings necessary thanks :smile:

Thanks to you guys, I'm now feeling confident enough to start ordering the parts.

Do you think I'd be as well to change the crankshaft oil seal whilst I'm at it?

Is a new rocker cover gasket really necessary or will I be ok to re-use the old one?

Parts on my shopping list:

Timing Belt, water pump & tensioner kit (Ford 1780142)

Two Drive belts kit (Ford 1829195)

Crankshaft locking tool/pin (Ford 303-748)

Camshaft alignment plate (Ford 303-376B)

Camshaft pulley holding tool (Ford 205-072)

Timing belt tensioner locking tool (Ford 303-1054)

Crankshaft pulley bolt (Ford 1149131) I need to check this because I'm aware that this bolt is available in two lengths (29mm & 44.5mm). Please could anyone advise which one I'll need?

Camshaft pulley bolts (anyone know part No.?)

Rocker cover gasket (Ford 1141575)

Crankshaft front oil seal (Ford 1473807) ??

Flywheel locking tool (hopefully, I won't need this)

I'll be buying genuine Ford belts/water pump/tensioner/bolts, but I'll be buying copies of the special tools from 'fleabay'.

If you want to PM me your reg I'd be happy to look it up on Microcat to see if that gives a confident indication of exactly what length crankshaft bolt was fitted. I can look up the camshaft bolt codes too.

Regarding the timing tools I've got a Laser 4347 set consisting of the equivalent of 303-507, 303-620, 303-748 and 303-367B.

img4172.jpg

(Edit: Just spotted there are five tools in the pic but only four listed - I think the silver angle pin is from the auto-tensioner)

As we're now on an Ecoboost Fiesta my timing belt days should be behind me so if you want it for a tenner plus P&P (say, £13 all in?) you're welcome to it. I can put the Autodata guide in for your engine too if you wish (that's not a bribe - I may be able to sort out a PDF of it anyway!)

Thanks MJN,

I'll send you a pm with my Reg number if you'd be kind enough to check the bolt part numbers thanks.

I'll also buy the kit from you. Please pm me how to pay you.

Yes, the angle pin is for the tensioner (equivalent of Ford 303-1054).

I'd also really appreciate the Autodata guide (especially in PDF).

Thanks again,

H..

Most kits come with the crank bolt(s), only some seem to have the cam bolts though. I've got a pile of crank bolts now that are no use to me from all the belts I've done on these engines.

Timing tool kit is on its way!

• Like 1

Thanks very much MJ,

I'm going to order most of the parts tomorrow. I'll buy the bolts from the Ford dealer if/when  I get the old ones out.

Have you an opinion on whether I should also replace the rocker cover gasket and the front crankshaft oil seal?

Another question has come to mind now;

Are the drive belts and aircon belts generally supplied with a special fitting tool?

Regards,

H..

I wouldn't change the gasket and seal unless they needed doing. Certainly the crankshaft seal - if it's not leaking leave it alone is my motto!

Re the belts what do you mean by special tool?

I wouldn't change the gasket and seal unless they needed doing. Certainly the crankshaft seal - if it's not leaking leave it alone is my motto!
Re the belts what do you mean by special tool?

they have stretchy belts to special tool makes fitting them essier
  • Like 1

Aha! Never seen/used a stretchy belt before.

That's right iantt,

I read somewhere that the Ford belts have the plastic fitting tools included.

I'll order the belts and if the tools aren't included, I'll buy some separately.

ford belts do come with the metal tools to make fitting easier and used to come with instructions but not sure they are now, you can use a prybar to lever them on but risk damaging belt in the process.

• Like 1

Now that's what I call a belt change MJ. My time scale is nearer 5 weeks, not 5 seconds! :smile:

The tool kit arrived today thanks MJ, but typically no one was at home, so I'm hoping to collect it tomorrow.

I've now ordered most of the parts (all prices include p&p):

1) (Laser 4347) timing belt special tool kit (Thanks MJ :wink3:). £13 

2) Genuine Ford timing belt kit & water Pump (Ford 1780142). £107.99

3) Genuine Ford drive belt kit (auxiliary & aircon) (Ford 1829195). £28.50

4) (Laser 2869) camshaft sprocket hold tool. £13.95

Total spend so far;  £163.44

I'm going to call into the local Ford dealers for two camshaft sprocket bolts (do I really need new ones?) and to see if they can identify/supply me the correct crankshaft pulley bolt.

I've decided to take MJ's (and my dad's) advice not to change the crankshaft front oil seal. I know this subject could form a debate in it's own right. There's folk who say "You'll kick yourself if it fails after you've done all that work!". There's also folk who say "If it ain't broke don't fix it, it may leak after you've changed it!". Any more opinions on this?

I've also decided to re-use the original rocker cover gasket. If it ain't up to it, it's not a big job to replace it later. Any opinions on this?

By the way;  When I have all the parts/tools, I'm gonna tackle this job (as always) in my dad's driveway, so it may be a couple of weeks before the project begins in earnest and will be dependant on the 'blinking' British weather. :unsure:

I hope to keep you updated on the parts/tools in the meantime however.

Thanks very much for all your help so far folks.

Regards,

H..

I've done two of these now with Ian's help

I'd be happy to send you the PDF instruction manual Ian sent me assuming he's okay with it 

I used all the required locking tools and still managed to loose the timing when I did the first one, luckily it was mine and Iantt talked me through resetting it. Second one went perfectly to plan although the crankshaft pulley was ridiculously tight. Overtightened by the previous monkey I think

The stretch belts I used were Continental and come with a tool and instructions 

The water pump I used came with a gasket 

The timing belt I used came with 3 stretch bolts and you choose the correct length compared to the old one. 

Extremely easy Once you slow down and take your time. Rush and you'll make mistakes which cost you more time in the future 

I didn't replace any seals etc except the water pump

I managed to get the second job finished in about 11hours then lost the only key leaving the girlfriend without a car for two days 😂😂

• Like 2

i remember your first attempt well!! lol

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, iantt said:

i remember your first attempt well!! lol

Ill never forget, I'd say it was inbetween writing my first car off and my new one going bang on the scale of heartsinking moments 😂

• Like 2

Thanks GF,

Yes, I'd appreciate you sending me the PDF instructions. I'll then have 4 instruction versions (Ford, Haynes, Autodata and your version) for cross reference. I'll PM you my email.

Please could you also post on here the method you used to free/remove the crankshaft bolt?

I've now received most of the parts. I'll post an update as soon as I get chance.

Another issue;  I've received the 'Genuine Ford drive belt kit (auxiliary & aircon) (Ford 1829195)' but it has no special tool included :unsure:  It does have a threaded bar with a captive nut and a free nut. Does anybody know what this is for?

Does anybody have a Ford belt applicator for sale?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club