Do Not Sell My Personal Information

X - AA Driving School

ToolBox

Some 17 months ago we bought my wife a 1.8 TDCI Focus from Lancashire ford, whilst we knew it was an x fleet car we were not aware it was an x AA Driving school car until sometime later.

Its always had a heavy clutch compared to my own 1.6 TDCI. I do all my own serviceing and repairs except major repairs that require workshop facilities, the engine had a slight oil weep that by 30,000 miles was starting to develope into a leak, heavy clutch, and failing bearings on the gearbox output shaft (I only discovered whilst test driving it after the 30,000 mile service during wich I changed the gear box oil £28.00p after she complained gearchange could be iffy sometimes) anyway I ring Lancashire Ford Sat Morning they book it in for inspection early the next week, book it in for repair on the following Monday, give my wife a courtesy car, repair the oil leak, fit a new clutch & re-con the gearbox under warranty.

Got it back today wife says it drives like a new one.

If you find a good Dealer stay with them, we will.

Brian

How did you find out your Ford Focus was an ex driving school car? You must have got a Ford Direct car with the 2 yr unlimited mileage warranty and RAC service. There was a newspaper report about Ford not being clear about the sources of their used cars:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/6...chool-cars.html

Found a note from Lombard to the AA driving school in the documents.

Didnt buy it as a Ford direct Car.

No RAC inspection.

No new clutch fitted.

No new brakes fitted.

New Tyres fitted,

Originaly said to wife a boy racer must have had it needing new tyres at 15,000 miles and front Discs & Pads badly worn, my Focus went back to the leasing company at 80,000 miles on original brakes & only one set of tyres fitted and not one single repair done.

Brian

Brian, if I were you I'd be very angry with the dealer for not disclosing the fact that it was an ex AADS car. You obviously would've pushed the price down had you been informed. If there're any problems, get them to fix it.

My friend bought an 08 reg ex-AADS Focus that was Ford Direct, and even though it was independently checked by the RAC, there were problems with the brakes - passengers get jolted if the brakes are not applied smoothly. But the Focus brakes are supposed to be very good and I don't get this on my car when I do emergency braking. I have noticed that on every AADS car I see on the road, the reg begins with 'G' so I think it's safer to buy a one private owner car rather than ex AADS as they get a lot of hard work.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian, if I were you I'd be very angry with the dealer for not disclosing the fact that it was an ex AADS car. You obviously would've pushed the price down had you been informed. If there're any problems, get them to fix it.

My friend bought an 08 reg ex-AADS Focus that was Ford Direct, and even though it was independently checked by the RAC, there were problems with the brakes - passengers get jolted if the brakes are not applied smoothly. But the Focus brakes are supposed to be very good and I don't get this on my car when I do emergency braking. I have noticed that on every AADS car I see on the road, the reg begins with 'G' so I think it's safer to buy a one private owner car rather than ex AADS as they get a lot of hard work.

If the dealer knew it was an ex AA car and didn't tell you, then you have a case as they witheld information that would have affected your decision to buy. I spoke to trading standards about this, the problem is proving the dealer knew however. I bought what I discovered to be an ex AA car but the Honda dealer just claimed they never knew and it had been owned privately since it was an ex AA car as AA only keep their cars for 6 months. Watch the front springs, alternator, gear release bearing and gear linkage cable, all ours including the clutch went within 3 months of buying the car. It also has shocking fuel consumption and the brakes have now started making some interesting noises. I want to get shot of it but will in theory have to tell a future buyer my suspicions about its history.

The Reg will only be G if that is the local prefix mine is WU and I'm sure its ex AA.

Yes I am a bit !Removed! off that I wasnt informed it was an X AA Driving School car, but the dealer is in business to make money and if they openly advertised thiese cars were X driving school I think they would have trouble selling them, I woluden't have bought one, but when we had problems the dealer had no hesitation repairing the car under warranty,also the car drives verry well and after the repairs ithe wife says it is like a new car, It cannot be easy to pick up a car with 15,000 miles on the clock less than 12 months old, the remainder of a 3yr warranty on it and at a 2/3 of the new price.

Brian

If the dealer knew it was an ex AA car and didn't tell you, then you have a case as they witheld information that would have affected your decision to buy. I spoke to trading standards about this, the problem is proving the dealer knew however. I bought what I discovered to be an ex AA car but the Honda dealer just claimed they never knew and it had been owned privately since it was an ex AA car as AA only keep their cars for 6 months. Watch the front springs, alternator, gear release bearing and gear linkage cable, all ours including the clutch went within 3 months of buying the car. It also has shocking fuel consumption and the brakes have now started making some interesting noises. I want to get shot of it but will in theory have to tell a future buyer my suspicions about its history.

How did you find out your Focus was an ex-AA DS car? Was your's a Ford Direct car? Did you find out by checking under the carpet in the passenger's front seat? Also, as the Telegraph article link I posted to earlier does state that it is Lombard Finance who leases these cars to AADS for 6 mths, it is Ford who knows the true source - not your dealer. It is therefore difficult to prove that the dealer knew it, my dealer were very adamant that they don't sell them - but hey, Ford has already admitted to it in the Telegraph article. Shame on Ford for being so dishonest!!!

I bought as my first car, an 06 reg Focus the reg. began with G with 17000 Mls in Dec last yr and within a matter of weeks, I had to spend 400 replacing brake discs!!! I didn't suspect it was ex-AADS but I think it probably was. I got rid of it by doing a px on an 07 Focus within just 3 mths in March 2009! If I were you, I'd just p/x it for a new one with a Ford dealer instead of trying to sell it on your own - they'll give you the best price.

Yes I am a bit !Removed! off that I wasnt informed it was an X AA Driving School car, but the dealer is in business to make money and if they openly advertised thiese cars were X driving school I think they would have trouble selling them, I woluden't have bought one, but when we had problems the dealer had no hesitation repairing the car under warranty,also the car drives verry well and after the repairs ithe wife says it is like a new car, It cannot be easy to pick up a car with 15,000 miles on the clock less than 12 months old, the remainder of a 3yr warranty on it and at a 2/3 of the new price.

Brian

Ford is being very dishonest in not disclosing the truth to the dealers. It is Ford we should take issue with. If you tried to sell your car online through webuyanycar or whatever, they ask if it was ever used as a rental or driving school car, if you tick yes, you will certainly get a much lower price! However, if you were sold one to you that has been whitewashed as 'Ford Direct', you ought to say no because you're not supposed to know the dirty secret about your car isn't it?

How did you find out your Focus was an ex-AA DS car? Was your's a Ford Direct car? Did you find out by checking under the carpet in the passenger's front seat? Also, as the Telegraph article link I posted to earlier does state that it is Lombard Finance who leases these cars to AADS for 6 mths, it is Ford who knows the true source - not your dealer. It is therefore difficult to prove that the dealer knew it, my dealer were very adamant that they don't sell them - but hey, Ford has already admitted to it in the Telegraph article. Shame on Ford for being so dishonest!!!

I bought as my first car, an 06 reg Focus the reg. began with G with 17000 Mls in Dec last yr and within a matter of weeks, I had to spend 400 replacing brake discs!!! I didn't suspect it was ex-AADS but I think it probably was. I got rid of it by doing a px on an 07 Focus within just 3 mths in March 2009! If I were you, I'd just p/x it for a new one with a Ford dealer instead of trying to sell it on your own - they'll give you the best price.

Well with the things that were going wrong it seemed quite plausable and I pulled up the passager carpet there were no grommets but appeared to be a fair amount of filler. I bought it as the third owner so I only had the last private owners details. I rang the DVLA to find out the previous owner and they were rude and unhelpful quoting the non dislosure of personal information act at me. Really helpful but then they are just a money making arm of the government after all.

Its a 54 plate 2005 car with high mileage 83K when we bought it. So I got it cheap of the Honda dealer I haggled him down to £3125. At the time I was surprised how negotiable he was now I know why. I can't afford to trade it in as that was all the money we had saved by the time we paid for the clutch as well the rest I did get done under the warrenty. At first when I complained the dealer said they were happy to exchange the car but they kept mysteriously selling cars I had agreed to swap it back against so I sent a letter to th head office demanding a refund and they ignored it so I'm stuck with the car. I did contact Trading standards and they filled the case but becasue the warrenty was given it apparenty affected the usual statutory rights.

Well with the things that were going wrong it seemed quite plausable and I pulled up the passager carpet there were no grommets but appeared to be a fair amount of filler. I bought it as the third owner so I only had the last private owners details. I rang the DVLA to find out the previous owner and they were rude and unhelpful quoting the non dislosure of personal information act at me. Really helpful but then they are just a money making arm of the government after all.

Its a 54 plate 2005 car with high mileage 83K when we bought it. So I got it cheap of the Honda dealer I haggled him down to £3125. At the time I was surprised how negotiable he was now I know why. I can't afford to trade it in as that was all the money we had saved by the time we paid for the clutch as well the rest I did get done under the warrenty. At first when I complained the dealer said they were happy to exchange the car but they kept mysteriously selling cars I had agreed to swap it back against so I sent a letter to th head office demanding a refund and they ignored it so I'm stuck with the car. I did contact Trading standards and they filled the case but becasue the warrenty was given it apparenty affected the usual statutory rights.

Actually, was your filler in the form of some dark grey spongey stuff under the carpet (like what is used for insulation)? I test drove ond and found a lot of these under the passenger's carpet you could just pull out! You can check with Lombard Finance or the AADS according to the Telegraph article. It might be possible that your car was an ex-driving school car that was used by another school or independent instructor, not necessarily the AADS. I live in B'ham and all of the AADS cars I have seen on the road have regs beginning with 'G' which is the prefix for Maidenhead / Kent - the registered HQ of Lombard Finance. That's why I'm quite sure that the source of these cars is AADS and I keep seeing so many Ford Direct cars with G on the dealer yards.

Please read one of my earlier posts for how i found out it's history.

The dealer has been superb in repairing any defects I have found, i will be taking it to the same dealer for it's first MOT early, If it fails on any suspension bushes etc, and iIhave had a car requiring radius arm bushes at first MOT, I will be looking for the repairs to be done under warranty, but lets not get bogged down in gloom and doom, it's a superb car.

Brian

Actually, was your filler in the form of some dark grey spongey stuff under the carpet (like what is used for insulation)? I test drove ond and found a lot of these under the passenger's carpet you could just pull out! You can check with Lombard Finance or the AADS according to the Telegraph article. It might be possible that your car was an ex-driving school car that was used by another school or independent instructor, not necessarily the AADS. I live in B'ham and all of the AADS cars I have seen on the road have regs beginning with 'G' which is the prefix for Maidenhead / Kent - the registered HQ of Lombard Finance. That's why I'm quite sure that the source of these cars is AADS and I keep seeing so many Ford Direct cars with G on the dealer yards.

No the grey spongy soundproofing was there but also what looked like car body filler that has been sprayed over in the body colour I'll try and get a picture and put it on. It could of course have be usual as the body on the focus would be the same for LHD or RHD cars. But I also found two AA student lesson record sheets in the car. Possibly the biggest giveaway but my reg doesn't start with G the car is 2005 though so may predate an arrangement between Lombard and Ford.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club