Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con DIY re-gas

SuttonRider

My air con on cold is not as good as it was last year. Most likely needs the gas topping up. Are these DIY gas top ups found on-line any good or should I be getting the garage to do it at twice the price?

Don't waste your money on these DIY cans, they are useless,   I had mine done last week for £35 at f1autocentres.co.uk  with a money off voucher.   Took 1 hour to complete the job.

18 minutes ago, Devonboy said:

Don't waste your money on these DIY cans, they are useless,   I had mine done last week for £35 at f1autocentres.co.uk  with a money off voucher.   Took 1 hour to complete the job.

Agree.  I used a Groupon deal for a £25 regas at a local garage. Always best to watch it being done if you can.

Yes I also agree when you get it done professionally they should vacuum out the system then refill it with the refrigerant and the lubricant for the complete system

Plus it's illegal to work on / release refrigerant gas to the atmosphere 

Yeah, seems strange the public can pop down Halfords for a can and do what they like , but for me to use aircon at work i need training and certification. And then big fines if I'm caught releasing gas to the atmosphere, or even regassing a system to check for leaks .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Yeah, seems strange the public can pop down halfords for a can and do what they like , but for me to use aircon at work i need training and certification. And then big fines if I'm caught releasing gas to the atmosphere, or even regassing a system to check for leaks .

Arguably you could say the same about most things lol 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I've got it booked in with a Ford dealer, they are just around the corner.

Job done today, just low on gas.

• Like 1

Nice one they recommend that you run the air con regularly to keep the system lubricated as the o-rings can dry out and the gas leaks 

"Yeah, seems strange the public can pop down Halfords for a can and do what they like , but for me to use aircon at work i need training and certification. And then big fines if I'm caught releasing gas to the atmosphere, or even regassing a system to check for leaks ."

soldering is another thing. all these printed circuit boards with the parts soldered on with lead free solder which is brittle and cracks. factories can't use leaded solder, but us private individuals can use leaded solder to repair the electrical stuff that would not have failed if the factories used leaded solder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, isetta said:

"Yeah, seems strange the public can pop down halfords for a can and do what they like , but for me to use aircon at work i need training and certification. And then big fines if I'm caught releasing gas to the atmosphere, or even regassing a system to check for leaks ."

soldering is another thing. all these printed circuit boards with the parts soldered on with lead free solder which is brittle and cracks. factories can't use leaded solder, but us private individuals can use leaded solder to repair the electrical stuff that would not have failed if the factories used leaded solder.

I'm lucky to work in an industry where we are still allowed to use leaded solder lol. I guess the military wouldn't appreciate the hassles of lead free! It's horrendous stuff! (Proud to admit I'm not in any of the forces)

9 hours ago, stef123 said:

I'm lucky to work in an industry where we are still allowed to use leaded solder lol. I guess the military wouldn't appreciate the hassles of lead free! It's horrendous stuff! (Proud to admit I'm not in any of the forces)

Not particularly sure that's a cool thing to say but hey ho.

incidentally, your signature has a meet from 2014 listed, my flux capacitor is all screwy atm so probably cant make it ;) 

43 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

Not particularly sure that's a cool thing to say but hey ho.

incidentally, your signature has a meet from 2014 listed, my flux capacitor is all screwy atm so probably cant make it ;) 

What's not particularly cool? Nothing was meant to be cool.. Lol 

sorry you can't make it. I just can't be bothered removing it just now so it can stay there lol - it doesn't show on my phone so it'll do for now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stef123 said:

What's not particularly cool? Nothing was meant to be cool.. Lol 

sorry you can't make it. I just can't be bothered removing it just now so it can stay there lol - it doesn't show on my phone so it'll do for now.

I suspect it was this bit '(Proud to admit I'm not in any of the forces)'

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

you suspect correctly :)

Stefan, since going back in time is a bit problematic just now, might be worth thinking about one for the future. Plenty of folk up here in Scotland.

6 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Whats wrong with that bit? lol

5 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

you suspect correctly :)

Stefan, since going back in time is a bit problematic just now, might be worth thinking about one for the future. Plenty of folk up here in Scotland.

It's too problematic trying to get something arranged.