Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk1 - Rear Wiper Not Working

AnthonyN

Good afternoon guys, I hope you are all well.

I am having another issue with my rear wiper on my 03 mk1 Focus and I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same kind of thing.

It has been working fine all weekend. I flicked the wiper on Monday morning and it was dead. I have noticed that when I put the wiper on, I can here a clicking from down by the fuse panel (I think). It sounds like its coming from around the glove box.

Does anyone have a rough Idea of what the problem could be please?

Thank you

clicking? sounds like a relay

are your front ones working too?

• Like 1

My front ones are working fine, and as far as i am aware, everything else is working fine. I don't recall hearing the clicking sound before, but I have not been concentrating on finding any faults either, so it could be normal.

Thank you

Check the wiper is getting power.
If it's not then inspect the wiring in the rubber sleeve between the roof and bootlid, it's a known point for broken wires.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you, I'm going to take a look tonight I think!

can u hear any motor whirring away when its turn on?

Hi Kevin, no sound from the wiper itself, just the clicking from by the glove box.

The clicking is correct it's likely to be a break in the feed to the motor just where it bends at the roof it's happened twice to me there 

• Like 1

hard to tell but the relay operating that wiper sounds like its not working

if you have access to a multimeter see if there is a feed to the wiper motor... 

no sound to me sounds like there is either no working motor or no working voltage, 

• Like 1

No problem guys thank you. I will do a bit of investigating when I get chance and see if i can see any wire breaks first and then go from there.

Thank you for your advice.

• Like 1

before you dig it all out id test the feed to it first

Buddy,to check there is a relay for the front and a relay for the rear.Remove both relays and swap over.The rear wiper should work and the fronts shouldn't.A word of warning they are difficult to access and it is recommended to undo the passenger fuse box first.

Thank you guys for the advice.

I just popped off the rubber outer to inspect the wires. There were two wires that had the casing broken but they are still connected fine. I just wrapped a little electrical tape around them both instead. I may check the relays but if they are tricky to get too I may wait for someone with a little more knowledge. I had hoped it was just a wire break.

Thank you all though, I appreciate you pointing me in the right directions!

If the wiring insulation is split then I'd bet solid money that there will be corrosion on the wires.

The splits also cause a short circuit if water gets in there so I strongly recommend you have the wires cut back to clean copper, spliced with fresh patches and sealed with heat shrink tubing.

I had this on my old MK1 Focus and it resulted in a blown wiper motor, intermittent high level brake light and a shot boot lock solenoid.

I discovered the cause after investigating why every time I applied the brakes the boot lock popped.

All my wires were cracked and required a loom splice, new wiper motor and replacement lock solenoid.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys ,

im also having an issue with my rear wiper on my st170 it’s working but keeps sticking any ideas ?