Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warped discs ?!

Patrico777

I recently changed all my discs and pads pagid, had them for about 7 months done 7k miles they were squeeking like crazy until like last 3 weeks, but other problem occured when going on motorway over 65mph and hit brake my steering wheel vibrates like crazy ! Been told by friend discs are warped how ??? How is that possible they only 7 months old, also when I am about to move off in first gear I hear squeking noise from wheel could be I am thinking pad touch disc where its bended ?  As wheel turns. Which discs should I buy now ? I want to go with BREMBO's but want your advices and if brembos are good where do I get them eurocar parts dont do them for my car only for rear.

pfa

IMG_6817.JPG

Are you sure you don't have a sticking caliper or slide? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Are you sure you don't have a sticking caliper or slide? 

I am going to get the car on ramp tomorrow morning to check what going on. Could caliper not releasing ? So its sticking??  That way I wld need new caliper sh*t 

If they are warped which discs should I get original ford ? Or brembos ?

Brembos are good, Look on eBay.

fil=2%2C3%2C1%2C9%2C8&selvel=Ford~Fiesta%2520V~2008~MK%2520V%2520%255B2001-2010%255D~ST150&MMake=Ford&MModel=Fiesta+V&MYear=2008&vToken1=MK+V&vToken2=ST150&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=n

The only Brembos in this list  are rear discs. EBC are good, Mintex always used to be good..

You should try and see what is wrong, strip the brakes back, remove the caliper, remove the pads and re-assemble . Make sure the pads run smooth on the pins, use copper slip grease.on the pins and back of the pads.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, karl46 said:

Brembos are good, Look on ebay.

fil=2%2C3%2C1%2C9%2C8&selvel=Ford~Fiesta%2520V~2008~MK%2520V%2520%255B2001-2010%255D~ST150&MMake=Ford&MModel=Fiesta+V&MYear=2008&vToken1=MK+V&vToken2=ST150&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=n

The only Brembos in this list  are rear discs. EBC are good, Mintex always used to be good..

You should try and see what is wrong, strip the brakes back, remove the caliper, remove the pads and re-assemble . Make sure the pads run smooth on the pins, use copper slip grease.on the pins and back of the pads.

I will do is there anyway to check if they are warped

Aren't pagid a budget brand owned by Euro car parts? I could be wrong.. 

But we fitted pagids to a Citroen Picasso in the family and the front discs warped within 3months 

• Like 1

A few questions!

When you brake and stop do you sit on the brake pedal whilst waiting ? If you do then stop doing this bad practice, the exposed section of the discs will cool gently but the clamped up section [pads] behind the disc will stay hot, eventually causing warping over time.

How do you wash the car ?  In a morning when the whole car is cold ?  Straight after a drive ? Do you blast the wheels with cold water whilst the wheels are hot ? Allow the car to fully cool down and then wash the car when the whole car is cold and never straight after a drive, blasting ice cold water at the wheels will hit the exposed disc, cooling the disc down rapidly but the part hidden behind the callipers will be hot, this causes warping of the disc too.

Common sence & prevention is better than trying to find a cure, I've known a few guys who've gone through a few warped discs, strangely on all their vehicle's they've owned and it was the common bad practices listed above which caused the problems. One guy had gone through 3 sets of discs & pads in 1 year, but he was the problem as he drove the car like he stole it and washed the car everyday and sometimes cleaned his BBS alloys twice a day! After listening to my advice he still uses the same discs & pads and that was 3 years ago now.

• Like 3

Oh! When I see folk at garages who jet wash the hell out of their wheels and the steam comes pouring out like a busted rad' They only have themselves to blame :wacko:

• Like 1

Unlikely to be warped; more likely you've got uneven pad material on the disc. It can easily happen if you sit with the brakes on whilst they're hot. If you try re-bedding them in this may give you a flat surface once more.

• Like 2

To really check any distortion you really need a dial guage to check runout.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

A few questions!

When you brake and stop do you sit on the brake pedal whilst waiting ? If you do then stop doing this bad practice, the exposed section of the discs will cool gently but the clamped up section [pads] behind the disc will stay hot, eventually causing warping over time.

How do you wash the car ?  In a morning when the whole car is cold ?  Straight after a drive ? Do you blast the wheels with cold water whilst the wheels are hot ? Allow the car to fully cool down and then wash the car when the whole car is cold and never straight after a drive, blasting ice cold water at the wheels will hit the exposed disc, cooling the disc down rapidly but the part hidden behind the callipers will be hot, this causes warping of the disc too.

Common sence & prevention is better than trying to find a cure, I've known a few guys who've gone through a few warped discs, strangely on all their vehicle's they've owned and it was the common bad practices listed above which caused the problems. One guy had gone through 3 sets of discs & pads in 1 year, but he was the problem as he drove the car like he stole it and washed the car everyday and sometimes cleaned his BBS alloys twice a day! After listening to my advice he still uses the same discs & pads and that was 3 years ago now.

I do sit on brake pedal yes and I give a wash every week once with jetwash at carwash

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Unlikely to be warped; more likely you've got uneven pad material on the disc. It can easily happen if you sit with the brakes on whilst they're hot. If you try re-bedding them in this may give you a flat surface once more.

How can that be done ???

i sit on the breaks at lights and roundabout and iv still got the disks and pads that came with the car when i bought it last june. i am due to have pads i think when i got my tyres changed he said the pads were nearly out. that could be to juice some more money out of me lol.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexBartlam said:

i sit on the breaks at lights and roundabout and iv still got the disks and pads that came with the car when i bought it last june. i am due to have pads i think when i got my tyres changed he said the pads were nearly out. that could be to juice some more money out of me lol.

Yeah everyone does that so that way everone wld need changing discs every couple months

It's only an issue of the discs and pads are hot - very hot - and so is not a problem for 'normal' driving (unless of course normal for you means driving on the limit!).

59 minutes ago, Patrico777 said:

[Bedding] How can that be done ???

There are various guides out there all based around the same theme of increasing the pad/disc temperature through hard even braking making sure not to come to a complete stop (otherwise you're back to square one). You may find this article of interest as it discuss the issue of warped discs and what is more likely to be the cause of the symptoms observed. It discuss the process of bedding too but, as it points out, you may find benefit in trying to get back to a clean sheet (disc) before re-bedding so and this is described further here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

A few questions!

I drive my car like I stole it daily and used to wash it daily, difference is I let mine cool :p

Never had a set of disks warp in 40 years of driving and I sit at lights & hills with my foot on the brake pedal. Did the OP clean the hub face properly when he put the new disks on?

• Like 3

FFS! So many pulling me down over my post!!! OK please yourself guys maybe its all 'Burlshit' but I know it ain't.

Which front discs pads shld I get guys send me link ??

Don't take it personally Ian; there'll always be differences of opinions on subjects like this as aside from anything else it's not a black and white issue and therefore no clear right or wrong. Either way it's good to have discussion and debate.

• Like 2

I've had the same symptoms on numerous cars I have bought and its only needed the pads changing. If they aren't bedded in properly for a few hundred miles by avoiding heavy braking they will cause the vibrations when braking from high speeds.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, btmaldon said:

I've had the same symptoms on numerous cars I have bought and its only needed the pads changing. If they aren't bedded in properly for a few hundred miles by avoiding heavy braking they will cause the vibrations when braking from high speeds.

You recon? First place I bought pagid discs and pads then pads were squeeking badly changed them for brembos they were still sqeeking after, and now this 

4 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

FFS! So many pulling me down over my post!!! OK please yourself guys maybe its all 'Burlshit' but I know it ain't.

No, your actually correct Ian, there's every chance that after some heavy braking, sitting with the footbrake applied can create hotspots in the disk and cause the disks to warp. It has been known to happen but I'd expect it on 'cheaper' or more heavily worn parts. (Hence why I wouldn't scrimp on brake parts as its 4 little bits of material rubbing on a metal disc that saves your life!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btmaldon said:

Correct, if you don't let the pads bed in properly it can glaze the discs causing hard spots on the surface so the pads will grab and slip when you apply the brakes.  http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/brake_discs.html

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club