Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2011 MK3 Sat Nav Upgrade - SYNC displays in non-SYNC car

vibeone

sory to hijack this thread but is Emergency Assist part of sync  ?

1 minute ago, dans34 said:

sory to hijack this thread but is Emergency Assist part of sync  ?

Yes was introduced with sync

1 hour ago, vibeone said:

As far as I know, and have read, Sync screens will work.  Sync ACM's also work.  However, unless you get these super rare BT/VC+SYNC units, you will 100% kill your voice/bluetooth in a non sync car.  The BT/VC system is a nokia bluetooth module and some voice stuff.  The later headunits effectively don't have the ability to talk to this kit.

You need to find a breakers who put number plates online, stick it into ETIS and look for "Less Ford SYNC" which will be coupled with "BT/VC + USB Connection"  This is a none sync car.

Alternatively, I believe if the steering wheel is original and has 2 sets of up/down/left/right arrows on either side, with volume/phone below, its non sync.  If the right hand arrows are replaced with volume, its a sync car.

Kev, I'd have to sell the screen and ACM together I think because frankly that makes it worth more.  I apologise in part, but I had to buy them together too.  I'm also still struggling with non working TMC.  I need to check whether my spare ACM works with TMC.  I do however still have it.  It's 4.3/4.2? pre-sync full colour and I believe it also has the rear cam connector.

Victory might be able to confirm that TMC is working with his new Sony ACM?

Yeah that's fair enough. How much would you be looking to get for the pair?

20 minutes ago, Kevh17 said:

Yeah that's fair enough. How much would you be looking to get for the pair?

I really don't want to come across as a rip off merchant, so I'm happy to accept advice from people here.  It's also difficult to know its worth to me (since it's rare).  I've looked on eBay but its impossible to work out since there are so many combinations.  It appears to be worth well over £150 but like I say, it's hard to say.

If you took everything (radio, display, fascia, buttons, climate surround and gear centre plastic I'd be happier to do a deal since it clears me down and saves me having to eBay the various bits on eBay.  Basically giving you the hassle to sell on the bits I didn't need.

if any members want to point me in the direction of a valid price, I'm open to discussion. I don't want to be ripped off, or rip someone else off.

28 minutes ago, vibeone said:

I really don't want to come across as a rip off merchant, so I'm happy to accept advice from people here.  It's also difficult to know its worth to me (since it's rare).  I've looked on ebay but its impossible to work out since there are so many combinations.  It appears to be worth well over £150 but like I say, it's hard to say.

If you took everything (radio, display, fascia, buttons, climate surround and gear centre plastic I'd be happier to do a deal since it clears me down and saves me having to ebay the various bits on ebay.  Basically giving you the hassle to sell on the bits I didn't need.

if any members want to point me in the direction of a valid price, I'm open to discussion. I don't want to be ripped off, or rip someone else off.

just to add if you do not have the sony facia currently i would take that too if i were you.. a great upgrade and looks fantastic with the shiny black.. 

The only thing I need is the screen. Mine is a titanium x so have everything else in place. I've been contacting some breakers yards so I'll see how much they come back with. I understand you want to get rid of things together but £150 is a bit much considering I don't need it

2 hours ago, Kevh17 said:

The only thing I need is the screen. Mine is a titanium x so have everything else in place. I've been contacting some breakers yards so I'll see how much they come back with. I understand you want to get rid of things together but £150 is a bit much considering I don't need it

That's fine and understandable - I just need to recoup what I've paid for my own upgrade. That said, as I mentioned to Victory previously, I'm fairly lazy and slow when it comes to selling things so It'll be around for the time being.

2 hours ago, Kevh17 said:

this is screen part no you need fyi

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-16-FORD-FOCUS-MK3-MULTI-FUNCTION-CLOCK-SCREEN-DISPLAY-AM5T-18B955-CH-/252893727352?hash=item3ae1a40a78:g:uvkAAOSw5UZY~gqn

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-Ford-Fiesta-Focus-Sony-Car-Radio-Info-Display-Screen-F1864815-/252930778112?hash=item3ae3d96400:g:OJcAAOSwBt5ZEyx9

BTW, I never got TMC going.  Generally reception on D1 (home of Classic on DAB) is a bit ropey. Any ideas?

10 minutes ago, vibeone said:

BTW, I never got TMC going.  Generally reception on D1 (home of Classic on DAB) is a bit ropey. Any ideas?

have you tried tuning into classic FM on fm as well and saving it as a preset?

Ive never tuned my radio in to classic, and my tmc works fine.

Done all of the above, but it stays grayed out.  Thinking of trying a separate TMC aerial, and put the DAB straight in.

actually I may start by swapping the ACM, since for me TMC is a radio function?

5 hours ago, vibeone said:

Done all of the above, but it stays grayed out.  Thinking of trying a separate TMC aerial, and put the DAB straight in.

actually I may start by swapping the ACM, since for me TMC is a radio function?

i would try acm first 

TMC is a FCDIM (display) function.

If TMC was an ACM function there would be no need to connect the antenna to the FCDIM.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:16 PM, JW1982 said:

TMC is a FCDIM (display) function.

If TMC was an ACM function there would be no need to connect the antenna to the FCDIM.

Yeah actually that's pretty obvious I guess.  It just seems weird.  It suggests the FCDIM has a FM (or more likely DAB) decoder in it.  Which is duplicated in the ACM.  But also, since the FCDIM is TMC, why the need for presets on the ACM (these do appear to be stored in the ACM rather than FCDIM)?  I'm not even sure what the ACM does these days beyond CD player and amp.

Anyway I meant to post this yesterday, but for some reason didn't.  Since then, I've swapped the ACM with no success. 

Also, I respliced the "pink to black" fakra cable and used that instead of my fakra z cable.  It's a lot thicker, maybe better shielded, and hasn't had much affect of reception either way.  However, I would like to buy the proper ford pink/black cable.  It had a part number of it, but I've forgot it, anyone know what it is without me taking the dash apart :D

Generally D1 reception is terrible for some reason - wherever I drive, other multiplexes seem ok.  Interference? The dash makes an odd noise when ignition is on, so I'm tempted to look further.

I've also hopefully got a VCM cable on it's way (Cheers Victory!), so will update everything too.

So frustrating.  Don't even really need TCM but want a complete system.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 8:49 PM, vibeone said:

Yep did that. The TMC appears to actually piggy back the dab aerial right? I'll give it some time before trying much else. So happy with the solution though!

Just to confirm btw - the service (now station) button is back :) pause button on Bluetooth audio too.  It's great!

IMG_1311.JPG

what app on your phone you using that gives you rpt and shuf btw?

21 minutes ago, Victory said:

what app on your phone you using that gives you rpt and shuf btw?

Spotify for the screenshot.  Can't remember if it comes up elsewhere. Podcasts and single play spotify appear as Tr0/0 BTW.  This was after the sat nav firmware upgrade too.

Note of caution: I updated the ACM with IDS and killed DAB completely, rather like Victory did - DAB just has a spinner gif and nothing else.  Swapped the ACM and it works fine.  TMC still doesn't work, despite a new separate DAB aerial - which incidentally has massively improved the reception - if you look online it seems DAB in a number of fords is bad.

Just looks a bit weird because I now have 2 aerials :)

• 4 months later...

Some strange news to report.  At the weekend I was working overtime away from home. As usual this involves getting sloshed on Saturday night.  After I returned the hotel room, I had an email from eBay offering me the 5inch sat nav screen for £34.99.  Clearly in the state I was in, I purchased it immediately.

It was a later version of the screen but I thought I’d use it to test whether TMC works on it, knowing that it would kill my bluetooth.

it arrived today, and I plugged it in. Immediately there was a load of SYNC menu options and Bluetooth/voice didn’t work.  I ignored that and put the SD card in.  Updated the firmware and software on the unit as demanded.  

After the reboot the sync stuff was gone and bluetooth and voice both work fine! Even though it’s a E model number!  Over the moon.... then I tried TMC - and of course traffic now works fine too.  

Clearly my old unit is broken in some slight way but I can’t believe this later screen works with BT/VC! Awesome!

Some of the newer FCDIM types are backwards compatible with the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. These FCDIM versions do support both the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system and the newer SYNC 1.0/1.1 system.

I discovered this recently when I tested a few FCDIM versions.

• Like 1

That’s weird then - and a positive.

i wonder if some of the older fcdims have been failing and ford required replacements to be available?

either way I’m happy. DAB reception seems improved too - I wonder if the aerial connection was dodgy on my other screen.

Also worth noting that the FCDIM didn’t seem compatible until it was updated - pressing aux or phone just reset to radio mode.

• 2 years later...
On 5/5/2017 at 9:36 AM, vibeone said:

I guess other than TMC, I'm pretty much there.  I thought I'd close up this thread but just wanted to say a final thanks to everyone who posted advice.  Especially Tezza, Victory and of course JW1982 - who has the patience of a saint.

As of the date of this post, I have a few related spares.  These may well end up on ebay and/or the for sale section here, but if anyone ends up here from google, I have the following spares:

* Ford ACM Radio Unit with DAB
* 4.2" Full colour display FCDIM and plastic fitment thingy which should be a straight swap in.
* Sony branded non-nav fascia including surround for 4.2" display (surround vents in graphite colour)
* Partial wiring loom including FCDIM and ACM connectors including 2 wires for sat nav audio, and aerial connectors.  Wiring is cut, so would need splicing.

and related:

Graphite coloured climate control surround
Graphite coloured gear gaiter and surround (some clips appear to be broken but hard to tell, outward facing pieces are mint.

Hi Vibeone,

I know thos is an old thread, but wounded if you still had the 2 wires for the sat nav audio or perhaps spare pins from the connectors knocking about..?

I've managed to upgrade my set up to the 4.2" with nav and rear camera, now just need to get the nav audio sorted but cant find a suitable donner car.

Thanx in advance

57 minutes ago, Pabz0804 said:

Hi Vibeone,

I know thos is an old thread, but wounded if you still had the 2 wires for the sat nav audio or perhaps spare pins from the connectors knocking about..?

I've managed to upgrade my set up to the 4.2" with nav and rear camera, now just need to get the nav audio sorted but cant find a suitable donner car.

Thanx in advance

Hi Pabz,

That's a random thread bump hehe.  I've sold the car now, and reinstalled the 5" sat nav screen (I had fitted an android unit after all this anyway!).  I'll have a look tonight as I did keep some bits and bobs that I didn't need.

1 hour ago, vibeone said:

Hi Pabz,

That's a random thread bump hehe.  I've sold the car now, and reinstalled the 5" sat nav screen (I had fitted an android unit after all this anyway!).  I'll have a look tonight as I did keep some bits and bobs that I didn't need.

Hehe yeah talk about bring up a topic from the past... google searches are scary 😂

Your a legend, thanx 👍🏼

On 11/12/2019 at 1:20 PM, Pabz0804 said:

Hehe yeah talk about bring up a topic from the past... google searches are scary 😂

Your a legend, thanx 👍🏼

Hi Vibeone, sorry to be a pain but did you have any luck?

Regards

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club