Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2011 MK3 Sat Nav Upgrade - SYNC displays in non-SYNC car

vibeone

As title, can anyone give me a definitive answer as to whether a sync-era display and sony branded radio can be fitted to a non-sync (BT/VC system) car, and bluetooth still work - less bothered about nav voice control, but voice control in general I could also do with keeping functional.

Thanks

Mark

The audio units (ACM) and Displays (FCDIM) and wiring of the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol based system and the newere SYNC 1.0/1.1 based system are not compatible. Installing an incorrect ACM or FCDIM will result in loosing bluetooth, voice and USB functionality.

There are only a very limited number of ACM/FCDIM hardware numbers that are used during the transition period from the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system to the newer SYNC 1.0/1.1 system. These hardware numbers support both Bluetooth/Voicecontrol and SYNC. However it is very difficult to determine these hardware numbers. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The audio units (ACM) and Displays (FCDIM) and wiring of the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol based system and the newere SYNC 1.0/1.1 based system are not compatible. Installing an incorrect ACM or FCDIM will result in loosing Bluetooth, voice and USB functionality.

There are only a very limited number of ACM/FCDIM hardware numbers that are used during the transition period from the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system to the newer SYNC 1.0/1.1 system. These hardware numbers support both Bluetooth/Voicecontrol and SYNC. However it is very difficult to determine these hardware numbers. 

Ahh, so....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Ford-Focus-5-door-estate-SONY-CD-PLAYER-SAT-NAV-/222370738010?hash=item33c6542f5a%3Ag%3A6BYAAOSw5cNYcVyZ&nma=true&si=qn2o%2Bfy3o6wEFE33eVy6fr1rWGk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

would not work since by 2014, the BT/VC system was long gone.

I assume then a 2011 sat nav screen would be the best bet.  However, does a 2011 sat nav SONY facia exist, and will this work with ONLY the "sony" radio/back box?  I don't really want to lose the sony facia but apparently the sony nav option wasn't available on early 2011 models?

Thanks

Also, I'm surprised at both the display and radio unit need to be compatible with the BT/VC - i really wouldn't care if the display no longer said "VOICE COMMAND" if thats the only reason for compatibility - I suspect this isn't all I'd lose then!

Sounds like I'm after a VERY specific nav display AND radio, and neither seem particularly easy to find.

I'd take a risk on a 2011/2012 option, but the only stuff on eBay seems to be 2013 onwards, which won't really give me much of a chance :(

The Focus MK3 audio systems are basically a modular design. Because of the modular design it is very easy to change parts of the system. You only have to make sure that the parts you use are based on the correct system (Bluetooth/Voicecontrol or SYNC).

The SONY ACM is basically based on the standard High Level ACM. As long as they are based on the same system (Bluetooth/Voicecontrol or SYNC) the SONY and High Level ACM's are fully interchangeable. Both satnav and non satnav versions of the SONY and High Level audio systems use the same type of ACM.

The satnav functionality is fully integrated into the FCDIM. The only difference between a satnav and a non satnav system is the type of FCDIM, the surrounding dashboard panel and the control panel (FDIM). The FCDIM is not only a display but in fact is a standalone CANbus module that controls many functions. Next to the satnav finctionality the FCDIM also partly controls Bluetooth/Voicecontrol or SYNC functionality.

The control panel (FDIM) is a standalone part of the system that controls both the ACM and FCDIM. All FDIM versions are technically compatible. The functionality of both the SONY and High Level control panels are the same. Even a non satnav control panel can be used to control the satnav functionality from within the radio menu.

What do you exactly want to do and which audio system is currently installed?

• Like 1

OK, I'm with you, and that's more like what I've heard elsewhere.

I have:

61 Plate focus mk3 with BT/VC, the full colour smaller screen (both on dash and MFD) , with SONY facia.  The car does NOT have sync

ETIS says this...

• MFD High TFT Screen
  •  Less Navigation System
  •  With Message Centre
  •  Less Navigation Disk
  •  Less Navigation Data
  • Less A/V Jack
  •  BT/VC Phone Interface + USB Connect
  •  ICE-Mid Audio Branded + DAB
  •  Ice Feature Pack 8
  •  Branded ICP
  •  Less Upgraded Sound System
  •  With 9 Radio Speakers
  •  Less Radio Subwoofer
  •  Less Telephone Preparation Pack
  •  Less Mobile Office Pack
  •  Less Family Entertainment System
  •  Less Sync
  •  Voice Activated Module - British
  •  With Steering Wheel Radio Controls
  •  Less Column Stalk Radio Controls

So it's my understanding that I MIGHT just need the display with sd slot (And card obviously), and I could have nav without the TRAFFIC/HOME facia to begin with? However, as per your comments this display MUST be BT/VC compatible, therefore rendering anything later than 2012 useless, and possibly some of the 2012 stuff equally pointless.

However, I have noticed a number of the displays which have SD slots (And are the correct size), say MFD LOW on them.  Does this work with the HIGH tft or am I just in general talking rubbish.

Based on Etis you have the 9-speaker Sony audio system without satnav. This system has a 4.2 Inch full color FCDIM. To retrofit the satnav system you need the following parts:

* 5 inch full color FCDIM with SD-slot that is compatible with the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system.

* SD card (original or copy). The SD-cards for this system are the V cards (V7 = 2017). 

* Dashboard panel surrounding for the slightly larger 5 inch FCDIM.

* Control panel with satnav buttons (very rare and not really needed because the satnav functions can also be controlled from the radio menu).

* GPS antenna.

* 50 cm antenna cable with the correct Fakra connectors at both ends (Fakra Z connectors will always fit). This cable is needed for TMC reception. The FCDIM is connected as a pass through device between the original antenna cable and the ACM.

* if needed 2 wires between the FCDIM and ACM. The 2 wires used for satnav audio communication between the FCDIM and ACM are usually not installed on a non satnav vehicle. The easiest way to obtain these wires is from a scrap car or by making them yourself using the correct connector pins. However these wires may already be present.

the FCDIM is in this case the only part that specifically must be based on the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. All other parts are used for both systems.

• Like 2

It's brilliant to finally get this information jw :) I appreciate its very specific to my vehicle, but might help others.

I'm not bothered about doing bits myself, and finding facia's etc at a later date.  The TMC is also not a massive requirement etc.

So in summary, I need a very early FCDIM.  Everything else should be easier to find/build.  However, finding a FCDIM from an early car seems almost impossible - at least I can now easily discount.

And if anyone is selling one - get in touch!

I *might* have got somewhere with this.

I've got to decide whether to "modify" my existing facia, or temporarily lose the sony branded player.  Haven't decided yet.

Hey JW....  I've done the hardest bit I think!

I now have the 5 inch screen (for now with the standard ford facia (as far as I know i need a Sony version with cut out - the buttons facials is one piece rather than 2 with the Sony.

i didn't get an sd card with the sat nav - must have stolen I'm guessing. Without going into detail, is it relatively simple to 'acquire' this?

also, I had to buy the radio with the display, and I'm guessing it's the standard ford radio not Sony. However other than a part number change the boxes look the same with no Sony brand to be seen. Both radios work - but I've stuck with mine since it should be Sony. Any comments on whether this makes any difference at all?

thanks

mark

The normal ACM and Sony ACM look identical from the outside.

The only differences between a normal ACM and a Sony ACM are some components that are used on the circuit board. Both the normal ACM and Sony ACM are produced by Visteon in the same factory. The Sony ACM is not produced by Sony. It is only partly developed and licensed by Sony. Ford pays Sony to use the Sony brand name for their Premium audio systems. 

Since your original ACM is a Sony one you should keep that one. The one you bought is a normal High Level ACM. 

Great sounds good.

this is getting a bit specific now... since I've changed the FCDIM, on dan Radio I've lost the left most service button which listed all stations on the current multiplex.  Any idea why?

I ha dupdated the firmware on my existing setup (not sure what actually gets updated) with the Nov 2012 update, but just wondered if you knew anything of it?

Thanks for all your help JW - don't even have sat nav yet, but I'm happy enough already!

The type of FCDIM is configured inside the Central Car Configuration of the BCM. When a different type of FCDIM is installed the Central Car Configuration need to be changed. This can easily be done with an ELM327 interface and the free FoCCCus or Forscan software.

The configuration needs to be changed from 4 Inch display to 5 Inch display. This will also activate the satnav functions inside the ACM.

Sorry mate I misspoke (typing on a phone in a service area!).

Ive already done the central config - I have the navigation options just errors due to the lack of sd card - but I can sort that.

On the DAB radio mode, on my old screen the options at the bottom were service, Manual, Scan, Text.

On the new, service is missing

Did you already perform a reset on the ACM and FCDIM? 

Not yet. I did the central config before fitting to see what would happen! I'll try a reset now. 

Reset didn't help.  Also noticed park pilot beeps work but doesn't show up on display. Is this because all 5" screen options had a reversing camera?

Just switched the displays back and forth and it's definitely FCDIM based it appears and I can't see any further options in focccus or FORScan to enable :(

see attached photos.

IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

What are the part numbers of both displays?

The 4.2 original is am5t-18b955-ch and the new 5 inch is am5t-18b955-dj and is marked MFD LOW.

Either it's just not supported, or maybe the FCDIM needs a firmware update?

not a disaster since park pilot still beeps but it's annoying.  Btw, bluetooth and voice control work fine, as does park assist (message on screen)

i believe it may not be supported on the 5 inch, i have the 5 inch MFD LOW satnav and never had the service option. in terms of park pilot i do not have sensors so cannot check.

What asbuild data did you change with FoCCCus ?

Thanks victory - I thought about your VCM cable for an update but I'm assuming your updates didn't add it back?

Tezza -

157 - bluetooth handsfree - BT/VC +info + nav

172 - touchscreen to MFD5 (was 4)

214 - ICP - branded navigation ICP.

just to repeat, if I switch back to the 4.2 screen everything just works as it should without any focccus mods so I suspect it's just weirdnesses of the screen.

not bothered about the DAB service button but the park pilot screen is a bit of a shame.

BTW, I don't suppose anyone has an SD card I can borrow in the south yorks area do they? I'll happily buy one but I want to test now! Assumed They'd be available on torrents but it appears I need to buy one  but I'm impatient!

Got these DTCs after resetting... god antenna fair enough but the incompatible message is odd. Nothing untoward happening and reports on the interwebs of others having the same error

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

What i did when fitting this to my early mk3 was to find the identical car but with satnav then used that car vin number to check the asbuild data and then altered mine to suite  

Tezza, I can do that I guess.  Did you have the park pilot issue or not applicable?

sounds like a good plan - I have the ref of the 5" screen donor car too so could also look at that. Thanks for the tip!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club