Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

MOT on New cars ?

Ian Lanc

9 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

So the Government may plan to extend the MOT on new cars from 3 to 4 years ? Personally I'd say no :rolleyes:

https://www.petrolprices.com/government-mot-unsafe-cars/

For sensible drivers who keep their cars in tip-top condition (i.e. replacing tyres before even getting close to the legal limit, undertaking preventative maintenance, knowing when something is wrong etc.), an MOT isn't that crucial IMO.

But for the majority who do the bare minimum to keep their cars on the road, who drive around on nearly bald tyres, than yes MOT helps keep the roads safe for other road users.

All in all I'd agree with you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Incontro said:

For sensible drivers who keep their cars in tip-top condition (i.e. replacing tyres before even getting close to the legal limit, undertaking preventative maintenance, knowing when something is wrong etc.), an MOT isn't that crucial IMO.

But for the majority who do the bare minimum to keep their cars on the road, who drive around on nearly bald tyres, than yes MOT helps keep the roads safe for other road users.

Agreed!

3 year is long enough, I know a few people that do 15k+ a year whichdoesnt seem a lot, but thats 45k before its first MOT at the moment. Now for me it wouldnt be an issue as i maintain my cars well and carry out preventative maintenence. Alot of people however wont

But add another year thats 60k miles for some people with no MOT.. Crazy imo

No crazier than the pointless MOT to be fair. An MOT means diddly squat and has always been a revenue maker for the Government. It would be far better probably if the system was scrapped and a proper system was introduced to make sure cars are roadworthy. Whether a car is tested after 1 year from new or 10 years it still doesn't mean that vehicle is safe to be on the road after driving out the MOT test centre. The MOT test is a farce and always has been.

Even more so with newer cars everything is covered by some piece of plastic so testers can't even check a lot of critical stuff these days of them can't see it.

Get rid of the MOT and replace it with something more robust and fit for purpose.

Simples.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

ive seen vehicles presented for first mot at 3yrs with over 100k milages

• Like 1

mot not a revenue maker for the gov as such as the mot fee mostly goes to garage, around £2 the gov get for admin.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2017 at 6:13 PM, simcor said:

Even more so with newer cars everything is covered by some piece of plastic so testers can't even check a lot of critical stuff these days of them can't see it.

The German test is considerably more thorough than ours, unlike out testers: their German counterparts can strip the cars the to inspect the components..  A German test takes a few hours.

On 28/04/2017 at 6:50 PM, iantt said:

ive seen vehicles presented for first mot at 3yrs with over 100k milages

As far as I can recall, my former Astra, from it's service history, had it's first MOT on 119K miles, and gathered 21 fails and 27 advisories! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GMX said:

The German test is considerably more thorough than ours, unlike out testers: their German counterparts can strip the cars the to inspect the components..  A German test takes a few hours.

As far as I can recall, my former Astra, from it's service history, had it's first MOT on 119K miles, and gathered 21 fails and 27 advisories! 

Well, that's a prime example of why the MOT (even the first one) is necessary!!

• Like 1

I'm doing some work just now for someone on a BMW 420d, front pads first of all but it's done 30k miles in its first year and that's a set of pads done and close to the backing plate!

Fair enough when cars are serviced at correct intervals, these things will be picked up and under normal driving and mileage (12k miles annually?) suspension, brake components and basically everything else should be expected to last is guess until its first mot. 

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:13 PM, simcor said:

No crazier than the pointless MOT to be fair. An MOT means diddly squat and has always been a revenue maker for the Government. It would be far better probably if the system was scrapped and a proper system was introduced to make sure cars are roadworthy. Whether a car is tested after 1 year from new or 10 years it still doesn't mean that vehicle is safe to be on the road after driving out the MOT test centre. The MOT test is a farce and always has been.

Get rid of the MOT and replace it with something more robust and fit for purpose.

Simples.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

To be fair, it might have gapping wide loop holes in it but it does keep most of the really dangerous stuff off the road. in Oz they don't have an MOT and some of the things on the road are death traps.  Personally, I think your right, we shouldn't have a situation where an under shield can hide things and they cant take it off, but equally, I think the MOT should concentrate on the important things, get back to basics, the danger is that more and more gets added to the test which adds more work to the garage which potentially means stuff gets over looked.  I see cars and lorries driving about that look like a strong gust of wind will send panels flying off it yet a perfectly good car can fail because a child seat is in the back.  IMHO, they have been bolting on additions to the test for decades, its time to scrap it and start anew.

• Like 2

actually, whilst I'm at it, does anyone know if or how they check if the headlamp auto levellers work and what is the definition of working, the guide is a bit vague what constitutes as working levellers and even says they might not test it....

On 28/04/2017 at 6:52 PM, iantt said:

mot not a revenue maker for the gov as such as the mot fee mostly goes to garage, around £2 the gov get for admin.

Yeah, I get that, but when you estimate there were roughly 28.5 million licenced cars on the road in the UK in the third quarter of 2015, 28.5 million £2's is quite some money.