Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty Part - Warranty Advice

BobbyDee

Hi,

Having some issues in terms of my parts warranty, I bought a new flywheel, clutch,bearing and flywheel bolts from a genuine ford dealer. Got my local garage to fit the parts. After they were fitted it was found that the release bearing was faulty.

So I called the supplier and asked how I would go about about getting this replaced who would cover the labour costs and the replacement part. They advised me take it to my local ford dealer and they will deal with it, In terms of fully inspection, approval and the replacement part being fitted as it was a genuine part.

Although I went to my local dealer today and was told that ford didn't fit the part it wouldn't be covered under any warranty and said to speak with the supplier as they supplied the part.

My question is what kind of leg do I have to stand on, Who exactly covers the replacement part and the labour involved I would have thought with it being a faulty ford part any ford dealer could inspect and deal with the issue.

whats wrong with the release bearing? your local dealer is wrong, they just dont want to do the work as they wont make any profit doing the job.
as long as the part has failed due to a manufacturing or material defect then the part and labour should be covered at any ford dealer

3 hours ago, iantt said:

whats wrong with the release bearing? your local dealer is wrong, they just dont want to do the work as they wont make any profit doing the job.
as long as the part has failed due to a manufacturing or material defect then the part and labour should be covered at any ford dealer

Part was put in less than 2 weeks ago and I've only done around 200 miles, Not been riding it or anything as I know everything needs to be broke in, Took it to a couple of garages and without me mentioning what is was they both came to the conclusion it was the bearing. Got a video here .

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you are within the 30 days to reject the part and receive a full refund.

Unfortunately, this Act does not (as far as I understand it) allow for you to reclaim labour caused by the faulty part - this is unfortunately the issue you get when you buy parts to be fitted by someone else (i.e. if you got the garage to purchase, and fit it, then you could hold them liable to fix it including the labour being covered).

So you can get a replacement part under the act, or completely reject it and get a full refund, but as far as I understand the legislation they are not legally obliged to cover your labour costs under the Consumer Rights Act - but you might get them to sort it out at a Ford garage if you cause enough fuss.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

30-day right to reject

Under the Consumer Rights Act you have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund - as long as you do this quickly. This right is limited to 30 days from the date you buy your product. After 30 days, you will not be legally entitled to a full refund if your item develops a fault, although some sellers may offer you an extended refund period.

So after some back and fourth with ford they have agreed to take the car in for inspection worse case scenario I am down on the labour which I was quoted at £510. I am half expecting them to say it was incorrectly fitted although if thats the case and they can prove it I would go back to the original garage.

My thinking is you can only fit a clutch one way and if it wasn't fitted right it wouldn't be drive able at all. Got a video of the noise with me pressing the clutch any opinions in what I could be would be appreciated.

https://goo.gl/mN0WMP

Any warranty small print that says they don't have to honour the warranty if fitted by another garage is insignificant. 

The warranty is a separate entity to your statutory rights as already mentioned above. You would have also been covered under S.15 of the Act if you'd have had it installed by Ford. That section covers installation of a product and of course labour costs. 

Any replacement part that you have fitted by Ford will be chargeable in terms of labour. If you discovered that the part was in fact installed incorrectly by the other garage, then you could return to them and look at sections 48, 54 & 55 of the Act. 

In simple terms this means the garage should use care and skill when installing something and if they don't, you could force them to do it again at their expense. 

It really comes down to whether the part was faulty or if it was just installed incorrectly. Maybe it's a case of both! 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club