Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk3 1.6 petrol cutting out when idle

mrcraigyd

Just thought id follow this up, so its been nearly 2 weeks since the PCM update and what a difference, i have to say im very happy.. the car is no sports car but compared to what it was before its like driving a new car.. for anyone with this issue or who have the 1.6 tivct i recommend you get the PCM update it will improve the car completely.. low end has much more pull and the hesitation that was there on inclines has completely gone...car feels smooth to drive all round..

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I got my 1.6 TI-VCT last year and it started showing these symptoms after a few months. After finding this thread I booked my car in for a Pcm update and like others have said it is a completely different car once updated. Much more responsive, smooth acceleration and most importantly not cut out at lights since.

Thanks for the info all. 

Is it starting ok? 

I had a 2007 fiesta and was having this issue from time to time where it would cut out but also crank and crank as if the tank  was empty. Turned out it was the fuel pump. One of the pins on the connector had corroded and created a dodgy connection. Bought a £20 used pump from eBay, cut a hole under the back seat, cleaned the connector, slotted the pump in and worked a charm. Sold it to my brother for £300. Still going 2 years down the line. 

My Focus has always started first time. I bought a 2011 1.6 Ti-VCT to replace my aging 2005 Focus 1.6 Ghia. I felt it didn't have quite as smooth acceleration as my old focus and didn't really feel the extra power going from a 99 to 125 engine. It was only when it started cutting out at lights and struggling to pull off the drive when cold that I did some research and found this thread. I got the Pcm update and it now feels like it should have been from the start. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Jypat, yes just ring your local main ford dealer and tell them you want the Pcm update installed. I asked for the pcm and any other modules updated at the same time. It takes less than an hour charged at the standard hourly rate but I think I got lucky and was only charged half an hour labour. 

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

I bought a Ford Focus Zetec 1.6L 2011 last week and its a lovely car, starts up perfect, sounds nice and drives nice but I am having the exact same issues as you described a week later!

It stalls when im coming to slow traffic, its not in gear and a little shudder and stalls. Also, it feels like it does pull off on first gear abit slow, i had a 2004 ford fiesta before thsi and that pulled off quicker.

I just wanted to see if the PCM update is definitley needed and how your cars are doing now since you updated it? 

ALso, i went on the ford website and nothing about this service available? What do I need to do and ask to get this done?

Any help is much appreciated....I have a young daughter and cant be dealing with any more car issues, its doing my head in!!

Foyzul

Buy an obd2 code reader and plug it in. See if there are any error codes in the memory. I use ancel ad410, which tells me useful things about how my car is running.

Check short term fuel trim STFT, should be 0, long term fuel trim LTFT should be 0. Check O2 sensors.

It runs engine checks and let's you know things are working OK. 

Check the basics, is the air fikter clean, is the oil clean, etc.

Hi, my car is still running well. 65000 miles on the clock now with a daily commute of around 50 miles.

The only issue I have had in the last 2 years since having all the software updates installed is an occasional low battery.

To book it in for software updates just ring your local main Ford dealer service department. I'm sure I had read somewhere that a full service included software updates but you would have to get that confirmed and specifically ask for the updates at the time. When I had mine done it was between service intervals so I just paid for the labour.

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

Sorry for the late response, I didnt get an alert to say anyone had responded!

Kevin,

Will the below reader be sufficient?

On checking the air filter, STFT, LTFT - I havent checked any of them or have much of a clue how to im afraid!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foseal-Reader-Scanner-Display-Screen/dp/B07RQCP5PY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?adgrpid=51970220606&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckCytD5sm3GfJlUAstzXIBAwnxXEkyUJc5kv9EgEUMqv7mMHk_dj4NVRoCkNsQAvD_BwE&hvadid=258998449644&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045884&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2329629722288451349&hvtargid=kwd-300680097003&hydadcr=4611_1795238&keywords=obd+reader&qid=1602684176&sr=8-2-spons&tag=googhydr-21&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQzVQMjVPRUVKVEYwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzEwNzEyNUhIOVlMTTY3Mk9aJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2NDAwMTExVkY4QTE0OFhHTldHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

@ColW - I called up Ford dealership and they are terrible. I explained that I wanted to bring my car in for a PCM update but they keep saying they checked my number plate and there is no outstanding update? I said yes ok, but I would still like the latest PCM update available. They keep saying you dont need one just bring it in for a diagnostics test first so we can find the problem etc etc. I got frustrated and hung up in the end! Any other suggestions?

Its becoming so much more frequent now and my missus is kicking up a fuss of getting it fixed asap!

Thanks

Foyz

I know ford don't like to do software updates unless necessary but maybe I was lucky with my local dealer. I do know though that it resolved mine and other members stalling issues when coming to a stop. It also gave a more stable tickover.

If you create an etis account and check the software section for your car it will tell you the last time if at all any software updates were done. You normally have to put the vin code in but if you change the region setting to uk you can search by registration plate

I have just replaced my focus with a 2 year old focus 1.5. When buying this car I asked for any module software updates to be done but the technician who does the software updates is off at the moment so I have to wait. They will book it in though and being 2 years old this car gets them for free under warranty.

ok so i bought a OBD scanner and as i thought, no codes. If there was an issue with 02 sensors or such and such - would the OBD scanner read this?

Im creating an ETIS account now. I will let you know how I get on with that.

Will ETIS tell me what the latest update is for my car aswell? or a list of updates the car has had over the years etc? 

It feels like when i speak to Ford, I have to persuade them to do the update - why wouldn't they just do it?!

Is there anyone else in London that could do this update other than main dealer?

Ok so I have a 2011 Ford Focus -  im on ETIS and i checked the software section and below is what i see:

Basically the last time the PCM and all other modules and software were updated as in 2011 when the car was built?!

is there any way to check if there is a latest update for below modules?

cronym   Description   Assembly Part No.   Software Part No.   Last Checked
DDM   Driver Door Module (DDM)   BV6N-14B531-BF   AV6N-14C064-AE   12-03-11 01:57  
PDM   Passenger Door Module (PDM)   BV6N-14B533-BF   AV6N-14C108-AE   12-03-11 01:57  
SASM   Steering Wheel Rotation Sensor   BV6T-3F818-AD   BV6T-14C309-AD   12-03-11 01:57  
IPC   Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)   BM5T-10849-BL   BM5T-14C026-AJ   12-03-11 01:57  
ABS   Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module   BV61-2C405-AF   BV61-14C036-AH   12-03-11 01:57  
PCM   Powertrain Control Module (PCM)   BV61-12A650-BC   BV61-14C204-KC   12-03-11 01:57  
FCDIM   Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM)   AM5T-18B955-BD   AM5T-14D358-BE   12-03-11 01:57  
BCM   Body Control Module (BCM)   BV6N-14A073-DL   BV6N-14C094-AK   12-03-11 01:57  
ACM   Audio Front Control Module (ACM)   BM5T-18C815-HE   AM5T-14C044-HE   12-03-11 01:57  
PSCM   Power Steering Control Module (PSCM)   BV6C-3C579-BD   BV6T-14C217-AD   12-03-11 01:57  
SPRM   Speech Recognition Module (SPRM)   8M5T-19C112-AS   8M5T-14D511-AS   12-03-11 01:57  
PAM   Parking Assist Control Module (PAM)   BM5T-15K866-AL   BM5T-14C090-AK   12-03-11 01:57  
RCM   Restraints Control Module (RCM)   BM5T-14B321-CD   BM5T-14C028-AA   12-03-11 01:57

I've just looked up my old car on etis and it isn't showing the update history from when I had mine done. I know it was updated though because even the instrument panel was showing updated versions after I had it done.

You may be best going into the dealer service department and asking them directly rather than the people on reception.

Here is my old car data from etis to compare.

DDM   Driver Door Module (DDM)   BV6N-14B531-BF   AV6N-14C064-AE   20-04-11 08:32  
PDM   Passenger Door Module (PDM)   BV6N-14B533-BF   AV6N-14C108-AE   20-04-11 08:32  
SASM   Steering Wheel Rotation Sensor   BV6T-3F818-AD   BV6T-14C309-AD   20-04-11 08:32  
IPC   Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)   BM5T-10849-KP   BM5T-14C026-BL   20-04-11 08:32  
ABS   Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module   BV61-2C405-AF   BV61-14C036-AH   20-04-11 08:32  
PCM   Powertrain Control Module (PCM)   BV61-12A650-BD   BV61-14C204-KD   20-04-11 08:32  
FCDIM   Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM)   AM5T-18B955-CG   AM5T-14D358-CH   20-04-11 08:32  
BCM   Body Control Module (BCM)   BV6N-14A073-FL   BV6N-14C094-AL   20-04-11 08:32  
ACM   Audio Front Control Module (ACM)   BM5T-18C815-XF   AM5T-14C044-HF   20-04-11 08:32  
PSCM   Power Steering Control Module (PSCM)   BV6C-3C579-BF   BV6T-14C217-AE   20-04-11 08:32  
RFA   Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Module   AV6N-19G481-AG   AV6N-14C104-AH   20-04-11 08:32  
SPRM   Speech Recognition Module (SPRM)   8M5T-19C112-AS   8M5T-14D511-AS   20-04-11 08:32  
HVAC   Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Control Module   BM5T-18C612-CG   AM5T-18D619-BJ   20-04-11 08:32  
RCM   Restraints Control Module (RCM)   BM5T-14B321-CE   AM5T-14C028-AE   20-04-11 08:32

hmm yeah i think best bet is to go to the dealer direct and see what their service department will say. Although, i reckon they will say they cant do anything unless they start off with a diagnostics check and a once over first. Problem with Ford is they have a 1 month waiting time lol.

im taking it to a local garage tomorrow to see if they can do anything with it aswell.

will update all soon!

Ok so some good new from the garage:

He thinks that there is a communication issue between the ECU and engine or something so probably software update.

They have someone who can update the PCM and any other software modules on the car for 65 quid, perfect. 

He also advised the car needs a new clutch kit which i agree with, the biting point is high on the clutch and the car doesnt move enough when i have hit the biting point.

Hoping to get all sorted tomorrow, will let you know the results.

i have another question - i find that the clutch pedal is annoying to use in the focus, i have to proper get it down to the floor so my heel is almost off the ground. BEcomes an issue when im trying to go up a hill and trying to clutch control but because of the position and how far down the pedal needs to go i have to "reset" my foot or the pedal slips and i stall. Anyone else have this issue and how to resolve it or what i should ask the garage to do? Can the pedal be adjusted so i dont have to push it to the ground but rather higher up?

thanks all.

That's good you are getting the software updates done. You should notice the difference immediately, mine was much more responsive after the update and the tickover was higher than before.

I can't help on the clutch I'm afraid, my clutch was fine for the 3 years I had the car. I only replaced it because I wanted something newer and wanted to part exchange it before I needed to do the timing belt and start getting new tyres.

• 1 year later...

Hello

I have a 2010 ford focus 1.8 petrol

I have a similar problem like this, when starting car it really struggles to keep revs up so I have to accelerate for a couple of minutes to keep the revs up and avoid the car cutting out. Also tries to cut out when coming to a stop. Flashed up as egr valve so had that replaced but no difference at all. Any ideas please? 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I've had this issue too. Car stalling when idle, rough idle, loss of power, poor MPG, poor response. NO FAULT CODES OR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

For me it was a clogged breather hose. It leads from the top of the engine to the air filter box. There is foam inside of the air filter box that needed replacing as it was full of oil and prevented air from going into the engine through the breather hose. 

I've attached pictures to make it easier to find...

Breather hose= 1 yellow.

MAF sensor  =2 red.

(Ive downloaded the pictures from internet).

Additionally, you can:

- Clean the MAF SENSOR with MAF SENSOR cleaner https://youtu.be/pKyMziwa_TM?si=QLo_dltIFHqY5NLb (SAME LOCATION)

- Reset the PCM by disconnecting battery and draining the system of power

If you decide to reset the system, make sure you start the car and keep it running for around 10 minutes without driving it. 

If your automatic windows and wing mirrors stop working after this, its easy to reset, check youtube videos.

Hope it helps the community.  

I do not take any responsibility for what you do to your car but hope that youll be able to fix the issue.

Good luck.

Jaro

s-l1600.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club